Routing issue (using Riffer)

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

oldcastle
Established Member

Routing issue (using Riffer)

Post by oldcastle »

Hi,

I love MusE, but sometimes I find difficult to go around. My issue now is about routing. My setup is:

- Manjaro
- Riffer 3.0 from Audiomodern
- yabridge

The plugin works 100%, but I cannot figure out the routing issue. The plugin manual https://www.mediafire.com/file/mkw8amd2 ... _3.0.0.pdf has examples of routing for a bunch of DAWs, but nothing similar that I could use in MusE. I just want to use Riffer with any synth. I can play the synth, but I cannot make Riffer plays the synth. I tried Riffer and synthv1 in Qtractor, and it works out of the box. What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: Routing issue (using Riffer)

Post by Tim E. Real »

I do not have Riffer so I can only show you instructions for a similar synth which has midi out.

Create a synth track, in your case it's Riffer, in mine it's ToneSpace.
Create another synth track that you wish to drive from Riffer (or ToneSpace). In your case say Synthv1, in mine it's Amsynth.
Create a midi track to drive SynthV1 (or Amsynth) and make sure the midi track's output goes to Synthv1 (or Amsynth).
Be sure the midi track's green 'Monitor' button is on so that you can hear what's being played.
Shown in this picture:
vst_synth_midi_out_arranger_1.png
vst_synth_midi_out_arranger_1.png (60.66 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
Open Riffer's (or ToneSpace's) GUI and be sure to choose the correct type of midi output.
With ToneSpace I change from 'built-in synth' to 'VST host'.
Shown in this picture:
vst_synth_midi_out_route_1.png
vst_synth_midi_out_route_1.png (96.52 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
Click on the midi track's blue/green input routing arrow to open the routing popup menu.
Select Riffer (or ToneSpace) on the desired channel. Here it is channel 1. You can instead click 'Omni' to receive all channels.
De-select any other inputs you don't want routed here, for example there is usually a default input route, get rid of it.
(Tip: When selecting things in the popup menu, hold the Ctrl key to keep the menu open so that it doesn't go away.)
Shown in this picture:
vst_synth_midi_out_mixer_1.png
vst_synth_midi_out_mixer_1.png (74.09 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
Riffer should now be able to send midi to the midi track and therefore to Synthv1 (or Amsynth etc).

You seem to already have figured this next part out but I'll repeat it:
If you want to route some midi input to Riffer so that you can play from an external synth or play a midi track to it,
do so in the usual normal way: Create another midi track, click on its blue/green output routing arrow, and route its midi output
to Riffer. Then click on the midi track's blue/green input routing arrow and select your desired midi inputs to the track,
or you can just create some midi notes in a part on the track and play them back.

HTH.
Tim.
oldcastle
Established Member

Post by oldcastle »

Thank you a lot Tim. I learnt a few tricks with your great answer.

I'm using the demo version of Riffer, but still no luck. I was able to replicated your post with tonespace, but not with Riffer. No idea what is going on here. But I'll keep trying.

Thank you!
Castle
oldcastle
Established Member

Post by oldcastle »

Here's the thing. I don't think I need Riffer anymore :D :D

The whole idea of trying out Riffer and tonespace was to have my chords' auto generated. Since, I'm a complete beginner, I have no idea how to do that, plus my real understanding about chords, chords progression is near nada. So, I thought that a plugin would be useful. But, even if I get the plugin working, I would not know what to do with that chord. So, yesterday this video was released https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyc8t4_4RK0, and it couldn't have come in a more perfect timing. Finally, I'm starting to understand some basic concepts that were blurred to me.

Anyway, thank you Tim for your post. I learnt a bit more about MusE. And a big thanks to Oscar for his video.

Note: if you are watching the video use this https://github.com/ldrolez/free-midi-chords pack, it is free and complete.

Cheers,
Castle