LM-Project-01 - v2 variation (see last comment)

Collaborate on tunes with other forum members! Anything goes!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

LM-Project-01 - v2 variation (see last comment)

Post by jonetsu »

Here's a music project suggested by Noahsark. All discussion and links will be here in this thread.

I'd like to add more comments but got into a bicycle 'accident' today and have one hand - right - which I can't really use for now while the other is not so strong. I'll add comments later on how the project can evolve as we iterate over it, like polishing a stone perhaps. anything can change or be 'revealed' according to inspiration calls. The BPM can change, chords added, breaks, mid section, themes, vocals, etc ..

I did the first loop, here's how it sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/lm-project-01

Here are the first audio files. Can be loaded into any DAW. Also includes MIDI tracks for bass and synths:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vmlt5b45sl3l ... r.bz2?dl=1

Here's a dropbox 'file request' that can be used to upload updates:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/b10l47Is9SGXdi5QXPxH

Cheers.
Last edited by jonetsu on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noahsark
Established Member

Re: LM-Project-01

Post by Noahsark »

I added 4 different guitar parts and a shaker track.

I also broke it down into loops and extended each section the total time is now 4:21

I did a guitar solo on the first half and then left the 2nd half open for Michael's clarinet solo.

I couldn't get the drop box uplaod to work.

I uploaded the files to a place called PlusTransfer.com

Here is the link - the link is only valid until the 14th of March:

I figure Jonetsu can get them and load them on dropbox until we can figure out a file sharing situation that works for everyone.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I got the files. Will do a quick overall mix and will otherwise upload the tracks as is. I will not be adding anything for now as my right hand is still not OK from the accident, making anything tedious. I'll be uploading the mixed files in about 12-16 hours from now.

This said, good ideas in there ! I like the direction it takes.

Thanks for adding the count in.

There was a resampling done when importing the files, from 48 to 44.1. My rig is set at 44.1 for now. That can change, no problem, I think.

Listening to a 2nd time now - even better.

I'll also see about the dropbox uploads - at least trying it out.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Here are the slightly mixed files following Aj's. Did not add anything this time around. Mixed a little. For focus, made way for the guitar solo at the beginning. Sounds good for an intro. Also made way for the first two theme iteration then brought back in the solo.

The overview on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/lmproject-011

The files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6piz1hh9zuovh ... r.bz2?dl=1

The edits, visually:
LM-proj-01.1.jpg
LM-proj-01.1.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 9773 times
It could be nice if there was another instrument picking up the theme later on. Clarinet ?

Also, the bass could be a 'real bass played by a real human' - thumbknuckle ?

Same with the drums for that matter - TAERSH ?

Anyone else ? Anything is open, the piece will slowly take shape during iterations. There's a text file with the audio files with chords, BPM, etc.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Give me a few days, I'll try to carve out some time to record a few takes with the clarinet, and maybe process it with some crazy settings in Rakarrack or something.

Edit: What scale is the lead guitar playing? What is the chord progression at 2:15 and 3:07? I'm not very good at picking these things out by ear.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

Michael Willis wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:25 pm What scale is the lead guitar playing? What is the chord progression at 2:15 and 3:07?
It is in Eb Minor and the progression is written in the notes that is in the project folder.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

As for the dropbox download link, it works as far as I tried the link posted above. The file was uploaded and I got the email notice from dropbox. If you are experiencing problems, try to bring more details, perhaps a screenshot of the error, screenshot that can be sent in private since there can be an email address shown (or erase it with the gimp) to know more about the issue.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

jonetsu wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:14 pm If you are experiencing problems, try to bring more details, perhaps a screenshot of the error...
I will give it another try when I get the time, document the problem and get back to you.

(.... a bit later....)

Ok I did an upload test with a few small files it worked fine for me both times.

I have a satellite Hughes net ISP, it is the best internet connection I had so far since moving to the mountains.

I was reading that people suspect hughes net for throttling drop box usage. The night I had the problem with uploading
I went searching for other alternatives to dropbox and found media fire and 4 shared. Both sites would
not load at all while any other site I tried loaded fine.

I don't know what the problem was as of now, hopefully it will work on the next upload.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I did get the picture and the ogg file - the ogg file being an acoustic piece with vocals and flute.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Since there's no activity, here's a different approach using most of the same tracks + 2 new synth tracks.

Quickly put together, just to try something.

Warning: stops sharp at the end.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/lmproject-01v2
Noahsark
Established Member

Re: LM-Project-01 - variation (see last comment)

Post by Noahsark »

Sounds good! I like the additions especially that new synth part at the end is really cool!

I am interested to hear what Michael is going to do with...

I would like to redo the guitar solo down the road after few more people add to it,
its not in the pocket enough to my liking after hearing it again in the new version.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks. I'll post a complete set of files later on today. That version is a rough sketch and as such has no space for additions unless bits are copied here and there. As such, I'd say that if Michael is still interested, he could use your version (the latest set of files posted here as of now) as you provided space for clarinet/another lead instrument. It does not matter much if a previous version is used as it's possible to take the additional instrument and put it into the new version. These are still sketches after all. Everything would be replayed later on when the structure gets more definition. The bass, for one, would be played in real time from start to end.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

jonetsu wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:08 pm if Michael is still interested
Hi! I'm still here. I still want to contribute, just things have gone crazy this week. Hopefully I'll have something soon.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Here are the updated multi-track files. Some changes since last post: added other synths, duration a bit longer.

The overview on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/lmproject-01v2

The multi-track files:

UPDATED LINK - there was an error with the previous link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdlcsn7igc1nt ... r.bz2?dl=1

Checksum if you need to verify the download:

% sha256sum LMProject-01.v2.tar.bz2
2cb2e822f94c035b05c10a2bf9fc0b880935ea45d1c8459288e056960c0f8f17 LMProject-01.v2.tar.bz2

The background tracks during the guitar solo are growing intensity in two steps: with the introduction of the skank guitar at measure 43 and then the bass and drums are more intensive starting at meas. 51.

There's no count-in as the intro is made up of the drums in this instance.
Last edited by jonetsu on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Noahsark
Established Member

Re: LM-Project-01 - v2 variation (see last comment)

Post by Noahsark »

jonetsu wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:58 pm The background tracks during the guitar solo are growing intensity in two steps: with the introduction of the skank guitar at measure 43 and then the bass and drums are more intensive starting at meas. 51.
Alright Cool! I will download them a bit later when I get some time...
I like how this is developing!
Michael Willis wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:08 pm ...just things have gone crazy this week
Is it because of the Corona Virus thing?

Some things for everyone to consider... James Corbett and Ryan Christian are some
real open source news men of our time:
https://www.corbettreport.com/medical-martial-law/

https://www.thelastamericanvagabond.com ... not-china/

Take care of yourselves....

=================================

...I just finished listening to the new track; Very Nice!