Improvisation Project anyone....?

Collaborate on tunes with other forum members! Anything goes!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Improvisation Project anyone....?

Post by jonetsu »

Here are the files. The archive also includes, apart from the audio files, some notes (BPM, bass, keys and guitar notes) and a MIDI file for the bass and synths.

So basically the audio files can be loaded in any DAW. Several loops are possible. Eg. one might want to only loop the first bars with bass and drums in order to find something. Or mute the bass and only go by the drums to find things to add.

This could be known as version 01. When for instance one has found other chords to add a chorus or anything and the drums are staying the same, then only the new files would need to be uploaded. Bass and chords (keys, guitar, etc.) tracks would be uploaded with some notes. The notes could explain that after x number of bars, the new part comes in. Then I would follow the instructions and add the tracks, try to make it flow a bit perhaps and upload a version 02. This is an iterative process so nothing has to be perfect right from the start.

Anything goes. Even the BPM can change.

What counts are the ideas and inspiration. We'll figure out how to make it all work and eventually it'll be ready - along with a having a proper title - for mixing.

I'll see about how to upload files to a dropbox account.

This is direct dropbox link for the download. About 84MB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vmlt5b45sl3l ... r.bz2?dl=1

Here how it can look like in the latest Ardour/Mixbus (screenshot from Mixbus32C v6) :
LM-project-tracks.jpg
LM-project-tracks.jpg (57.27 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
We won't have the same plugins. As such, the MIDI files can be used for your own synths if you wish. For instance you might want to try another bass sound, etc.

Here are the MIDI import looks:
LM-project-MIDIImport.jpg
LM-project-MIDIImport.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 5825 times

(Maybe there should be a more specific topic titled "LM-Project" where all links and discussion can be found - next time around)
Last edited by jonetsu on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Michael Willis wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:35 pm Ooh, I like it already. Are we using a specific DAW, or just sending sound files back and forth?
Audio files will enable bypassing software details. When needed, a MIDI dump of new synth track(s) can be included with the audio files.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

As a side note, not that much important, I'm using Bitwig for creating the tracks. Then I quickly export to Mixbus32C to mix them just a bit, and then export them again to create the archive.

In Bitwig it's all Linux plugins except for the guitar theme which for now I stick to using the free Boogex amp which runs on Windows and runs on Linux using wine-staging and linvst. If we stick to Linux I can be using the Uhbik Runciter.

The current instruments are:

Bass : Diva - Analogue Hits - Benedict
Amb: Diva - Original Score - World in my Eyes
Amb2: Diva - Atmos - Pads - Gases
Guitar tracks: Shiraki acoustic guitar, usual processing, plus Boogex amp track
Drums: Loop_Loft - FlippedDrums_Vol2 - LetLoose_95bpm - Snare Grv01
Percs: Loomer Sequent
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

Jonetsu,

Great work - this sounds good.

The chord changes remind of "Keep Me Hanging On"
or if you prefer the 80's version

As of now I am having a problem getting on the dropbox website - it keeps timing out for me, so I can't get to the files.
I will check it later to see if it works later...

Is anyone else having problems getting on the dropbox website?
jonetsu wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:09 am (Maybe there should be a more specific topic titled "LM-Project" where all links and discussion can be found - next time around)
That sounds good as well - each piece could be a project number which could develop a nickname over time after working on it.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

Noahsark wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:17 am As of now I am having a problem getting on the dropbox website - it keeps timing out for me, so I can't get to the files.
I will check it later to see if it works later...

Is anyone else having problems getting on the dropbox website?
It is working for me this mourning - i got the files.

I am going to work on a part for it today or tomorrow.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Just a short note ... This morning before sunrise the bicycle slipped on a thin patch of ice as I was turning on a major intersection. Swollen cheek, swollen highbrow, knee scratched, pinky left hand numb, wrist and thumb muscle right hand swollen. Am typing this with one finger of the left hand. Slow. Wiped some blood and walked back home through some fields as I wanted to avoid anything that had to do with thin layer of ice on sidewalks and roads. Took a good hot bath with some lemongrass oil thrown in. Things are OK but will need a few days to recover. Cannot type easily as of now and am using a previous pair of glasses as the current one was broken in this.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

That is some bad business there... take care of yourself and get well soon!

When I get finished with adding to the piece I am going to need some instruction on how
to upload to your dropbox account.

On another note - I came across Rachel Collier, who has no relation to Jacob Collier.

She is extremely talented as well!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I've listened to some of her songs previously. For that genre of music it's good. That style of music, since I don't listen that much to it, always makes me think of a favorite of mine which is the Boiler Room's Bonobo set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jW-ItsXazM

I've created a topic which also has what dropbox uses for uploads, a 'file request' link. Haven't tried it though.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

Thanks for link. I am not that familiar with what I would call computer music.

Back in high school I used to listen to Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails and Ministry.

Other than that I never became to exposed to it. Since getting into recording on linux
and getting a midi controller I come to have an appreciation for it that I didn't have
before.

After get the track done I will see how the dropbox upload link works.

till next time...