Improvisation Project anyone....?

Collaborate on tunes with other forum members! Anything goes!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Noahsark
Established Member

Improvisation Project anyone....?

Post by Noahsark »

Is anyone up for an improvisation project? --- people can volunteer what ever instrument they like pass the
file along and everyone can add to it - we can keep it as an open source music project give it a project name
and post them on youtube or where ever as we get songs complete - it would be cool to even have different
people mix them down with what ever plug-in variations they could add to it as well. It might be a good idea if there were any interest
in this to post the project files so others could extract loops and portions that they might want to use in their own projects...

I play guitar which is my main instrument and can do some keys and pads.

We could start with a bass track; maybe with drums or not and then each musician can build on it...
an acoustic guitar could be starting track as well...

If anyone is interested - let me know and we can get something started...
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Improvisation Project anyone....?

Post by jonetsu »

Sure, I'm interested. I can add synths (bass, pads, atmospheres, keys), acoustic guitar with all kind of processing, and maybe even a bit of acoustic bass guitar and looped drums, depending on what the piece calls for, what direction is taken.

All tracks as they are created would be saved each one in its own wav file so that there's no concern at all about which DAW, which software this and that. I for one have a dropbox account where files could be exchanged as they are created.

A main thing is to get it going and get to a point when there's 'flow' in the process. Logistics would develop as it goes. For instance, archiving bzip2 wav files saves some space. Having the date in the name of an archive helps in going back to previous tracks. Since dropbox or very likely any other free storage spot has limitations, previous tracks could be saved on each one's computers. If one is missing a file it can be asked for and someone will upload it again. All that stuff. And decisions about what tracks are staying which ones are not: it's all for the fun of it, and open comments.

I've never participated in such a project where there are vocals, where it looks much more like a 'regular' song so to say.

Cheers.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

Jonetsu,

Do you want to start the first track? maybe do a bass line and some drums or what ever you are feeling to do...

It probably be best to have the track timed and recorded to a metronome - I like leaving a few bars for a count in
in the beginning. 4 bars would be better unless the song was slow enough 2 would do.

I use Ardour, what do you use as a DAW?

Would I need a dropbox account too? I am not sure how it works I never used it - isn't their a place on line we could put the audio/project files for free like github or something?

Let me know what you're thinking...
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

I would be interested in contributing.

I can get around on bass guitar pretty well. I also play some piano and make DIY synth stuff with Pure Data, Csound, and C/C++/Haskell. I am set up to record drums and could probably talk someone in to doing some playing.

I use Mixbus but am fine with Ardour or Reaper as well.
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Noahsark wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:04 amDo you want to start the first track? maybe do a bass line and some drums or what ever you are feeling to do...
OK. I'll come up with a start in the next few days.

I can add a count in of 2 bars, no problem at all. As for a 'metronome' track I never was ever found of the regular metronome sound - of any kind - so I instead use a closed hihat. Which is then a track of its own that can be muted when needed, or removed for some sections.
I use Ardour, what do you use as a DAW?
I find it's better to toss that aside and forget about it. Each track in the project would be a wav file making it universal across all DAWs of any kind, any OS.

Yes, dropbox is an online storage service. I'm almost certain they also offer a way for people other than the owner of the account to upload files. I'll check it out.

Do you have an overall mood/feeling/atmosphere that could be a start point ? Or even a topic, philosophical, politic, social, ....

My improvs can take many shapes. You can browse some that made it to the soundcloud page in the signature below.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

thumbknuckle wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:46 pm I can get around on bass guitar pretty well. I also play some piano and make DIY synth stuff with Pure Data, Csound, and C/C++/Haskell. I am set up to record drums and could probably talk someone in to doing some playing.
Nice. For the drums maybe TAERSH could also be interested.

We'll have to keep in mind that nothing is set in cement, especially at such early stages. For instance, if one comes up with a drum line, or bass line, or anything, that could be picked up and modified later by someone else.

We should keep it very simple in terms of plugins. None used would be best to start with. Or just light touches of reverb, EQ and such - that can be refined later on. We can also stick by Linux totally, eg.no Windows plugins. The Linux plugins could be Open Source and free/commercial.

One more thing. Since it looks like I'll be doing the very first track(s), please do feel totally free to say that those tracks are not inspiring if you find it so. No problem at all. The number of sketches I throw away because they're not interesting even after spending some time on them, is significant. It might sound blatant, but do not force yourself. It should be flowing right from the start. This is not a paid gig :) Everything can change and evolve.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

Alright, that sounds good. Jonetsu - you will start out with the bass, anything would be fine - what ever comes to you from
off the top would be great.

Hi-hats as a timer is fine by me as well as well as the 2 bar count in.

wave files works as well to keep it open ended DAW Wise.

Thumbknuckle is set up for drums so maybe he can take the next turn and lay a drum track down.

Is that good for you Thunbknuckle?

Let us know what you find out about dropbox...

The more open ended this is the better - no stress about it all - we can let it be a creative learning process
being the main goal if there is any goal at all.

till next time...
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I could maybe try recording a clarinet part, or something on keys.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

I could maybe try recording a clarinet part, or something on keys.
Clarinet would be real cool - depending on how the song turns out by the time it gets to you,
it would sound good if you could do a three part harmony with the clarinet - maybe something
that would follow the chord progression...

I really like harmonized horns and woodwinds!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Noahsark wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:50 pm Clarinet would be real cool - depending on how the song turns out by the time it gets to you,
it would sound good if you could do a three part harmony with the clarinet - maybe something
that would follow the chord progression...
Sure, give me some time on the track and let me know what the chord progression is, I can come up with solos or just join in on the harmony. It could be super fun to arrange a three part harmony and record each line individually.

To get an idea of my playing style, listen to my recording I just shared on a different thread, or the solo at 5:08 in this recording.
Noahsark
Established Member

Post by Noahsark »

Right on - Come Walk With Me sounds good - the clarinet melody is nice, hints of Benny Goodman a bit.

The changes are nice too!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

So here's what the loop would be. The main thing are the drums and bass. I added some chords and an air.

This can be anything. A break, a midsection, an intro, anything. Feel free to change anything.

I'll upload the actual audio tracks later on, with some notes and also with a MIDI export of the bass and keys.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/lm-project-01
LM-proj-01-s.jpg
LM-proj-01-s.jpg (2.92 KiB) Viewed 9414 times
Last edited by jonetsu on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

jonetsu wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:12 pm So here's what the loop would be. The main thing are the drums and bass. I added some chords and an air.

This can be anything. A break, a midsection, an intro, anything. Feel free to change anything.

I'll upload the actual audio tracks later on, with some notes and also with a MIDI export of the bass and keys.
Is there a lot link I am not seeing?
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

thumbknuckle wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:56 pm Is there a lot link I am not seeing?
Off to a glorious start ! :)

Here it is (reply above also updated)

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/lm-project-01

The tracks will be uploaded a little later.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Ooh, I like it already. Are we using a specific DAW, or just sending sound files back and forth?