Latin Percussion track for instrumental cue

Collaborate on tunes with other forum members! Anything goes!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stephen_doonan
Established Member

Latin Percussion track for instrumental cue

Post by stephen_doonan »

Hello all-- I'm primarily a pianist, with a strong but underdeveloped and unconfident lifelong interest in percussion. I composed a brief latin-inflected cue (video production music), and wondered if any percussionist might be willing or might enjoy adding a latin percussion track to it.

Piano/synth-pad track, Urban-01 (92bpm), downloadable FLAC at HearThis.at
https://hearthis.at/stephen.c.doonan/urban-01piano/

It would be nice to meet a couple musicians (percussionist and soloist, like wind instrument, guitar, violin, etc.) to collaborate with on an ongoing basis for video production cues (pre-composed thematic or mood-establishing background music).

Thanks. Best wishes--
Steve
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Latin Percussion track for instrumental cue

Post by Michael Willis »

stephen_doonan wrote:It would be nice to meet a couple musicians ... like wind instrument
I can't help you with the percussion parts, but I'm a clarinetist and could contribute that way.
stephen_doonan
Established Member

Post by stephen_doonan »

Thanks, Michael.

Please let me know by private message any thoughts or preferences you might have about how we could proceed to get to know each other musically and begin experimenting with collaboration.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

Nice part.
I would love to. But i don't know if i get to it as i am busy changing some parts of my system and already lack time.
I am willing to give it a try if i can get to it. Still open for others to jump in on it. If you need it quick you need to find someone else.

Like Michael Willis asked. Perhaps some reference for the direction you have in mind?
stephen_doonan
Established Member

Post by stephen_doonan »

zoco wrote:Nice part.
I would love to. But i don't know if i get to it as i am busy changing some parts of my system and already lack time.
I am willing to give it a try if i can get to it. Still open for others to jump in on it. If you need it quick you need to find someone else.

Like Michael Willis asked. Perhaps some reference for the direction you have in mind?
No rush at all. Thanks for your response and interest. :)
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

Ok. Could you perhaps give some reference for the direction your thinking about? Many styles off latin.
stephen_doonan
Established Member

Post by stephen_doonan »

zoco wrote:Ok. Could you perhaps give some reference for the direction your thinking about? Many styles off latin.
Well, I'm guessing that any percussionist would have his own ideas, technique and preferred or personal style, similar to keyboard players such as myself. So I think I'm more interested in what a percussionist believes would sound good, realizing that this approach might produce many different results, than to give directions (so to speak) to a person whose instrument(s) and field of expertise and skill is so different from my own.

This particular brief piece of audio is of course a very downtempo/slow piece, with (in my mind, anyway) a mood of a profound emotion of some kind, such as loss, grief, desolation, trying to make peace with destruction or something shocking but unavoidable, etc. Just slow and deep. But I imagine that quite a few different percussion-track ideas of various styles and types would work well with it, including some that might surprise me.

I'm not locked into any particular person's interpretation, and I'm actually trying to learn percussion myself (I wanted to be a drummer when I was young, but my parents made me take piano lessons instead), and sometimes I use sound libraries or a hardware tone generator with percussion sounds triggered by keyboard notes and finger technique. I just bought an Akai MPD226 MIDI controller with pads to map to MIDI notes/percussion or other sound samples, to maybe learn a little finger-drumming technique. But I don't think any of those approaches compares very well to a trained or skilled percussionist using his or her own techniques and ideas backed up with their real-world experience. :)
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

stephen_doonan wrote:I'm not locked into any particular person's interpretation, and I'm actually trying to learn percussion myself (I wanted to be a drummer when I was young, but my parents made me take piano lessons instead), and sometimes I use sound libraries or a hardware tone generator with percussion sounds triggered by keyboard notes and finger technique.
I am no practical drummer/percussionist myself, but i have drummed on the drums of my brother so i am familiar with the how to.
The drum riffs now are easy to have as knowledge. I drum the same way on my keyboard. With a good drum set you not hear it when put in a song.
Percussion was always one off my favorites. I love Sheila E for instance and her father Pete Escovedo.

Perhaps you have read that i am busy learning how to build soundfonts and i can handle the technology already. Now one of my next projects is to build a drum set soundfont but then set up as a real drum so that the keys are actually placed as a drum set to drum on. I only need to think about how to place the for instance the open and closed hyhat next to each other so it still fits a real drum set.

As soon as i can make time for it i will let my mind go loose on this percussion.