Clarinet

Collaborate on tunes with other forum members! Anything goes!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Clarinet

Post by Michael Willis »

As mentioned elsewhere, I started practicing clarinet after not really playing for nearly twenty years. I'm finally to the point that I'm feeling more confident about live recording. I'm curious if anybody is working on something that could use a crooning woodwind track. I'm open to a lot of styles, I can imagine it working well in certain subgenres of folk, jazz, blues, rock, etc.

You can hear some of my earlier attempts at recording, or I can audition some more. Later this week I'll be outfitted for stereo recording instead of mono like I did in those recording, which I'm told gives additional depth to recording wind instruments.
craigbass76
Established Member

Re: Clarinet

Post by craigbass76 »

If you've got any melodies you've written, I'm game for cutting you a bass track. I listened to the track you linked to. Like others said, there was a bit of natural reverb, but you're very clean with the clarinet itself. I do have a jazz box here, so I might be able to wing a rhythm track too, if you're into Benny Goodman type stuff.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

craigbass76 wrote:If you've got any melodies you've written, I'm game for cutting you a bass track. I listened to the track you linked to. Like others said, there was a bit of natural reverb, but you're very clean with the clarinet itself. I do have a jazz box here, so I might be able to wing a rhythm track too, if you're into Benny Goodman type stuff.
Thanks for reaching out! I'll have to put something together that would work with a good bass track... I have rounded up a few local brass players and a pianist locally, we're thinking of recording some small-band jazz stuff, maybe that could work.

Here is a more recent thing I recorded, I'm a lot more happy with how it turned out: https://instaud.io/270z
craigbass76
Established Member

Post by craigbass76 »

Very clean. You're playing right on the beat though. If you're going to cut it again, see if you can jump it and lag in spots.

Wicked clean though. I like it. I heard this song first in a commercial I saw a few years back where children's crayon drawings were superimposed on what looked like NYC buildings. I wouldn't normally remember something like that, but the drawings looked exactly like how my oldest son used to draw people (big circle with a face, and stick arms and legs) so it was sad to watch.

I'm looking forward to doing something with you. Even if it's way early stages, give me a chart and a tempo and I'll do something with you.

And this isn't necessarily clarinet related, but it's at least woodwind-ish, and you'll get a kick out of it. My side of the family had Christmas today. My sister found an alto sax at one of her husband's realative's house about four years ago and keeps forgetting to bring it to Christmas or my birthday. I got it today. Needs a mouthpiece, a recork, and maybe pads (I'll find out after I get a mouthpiece) but I may give it a whirl once I get it running. 1930 silver rig. Should be fun. I haven't played alto since I squeaked my way through the fifth grade Christmas concert.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

craigbass76 wrote:Very clean. You're playing right on the beat though. If you're going to cut it again, see if you can jump it and lag in spots.
That's funny, we weren't playing to a click track. I just handed my brother-in-law sheet music one day when he came to visit, we went over it three times, then I hit the record button in Ardour without the metronome. Or are you saying that we didn't swing it? We can play with a swing, we just weren't going for that in this recording.

What do you mean by "clean"? I'm guessing you mean I managed a low noise floor while still capturing a lot of the nuances of the clarinet sound? Whatever the case, thanks! I'm trying to get better at recording while trying to stay kind of minimalist about buying gear.
craigbass76 wrote:1930 silver rig. Should be fun. I haven't played alto since I squeaked my way through the fifth grade Christmas concert.
Nice! I have to warn you, reed instruments are really temperamental, even after you have more experience. On the other hand, I was happy with how well my muscle memory came back after not practicing for several years.

At one point I thought I could say that I play one of the most temperamental instruments, but then I was corrected... Apparently double reed instruments like oboe and bassoon are even more so!

Anyway, I think it would be fun to hear the sound of your vintage saxophone once you get started.
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Michael Willis wrote:Here is a more recent thing I recorded, I'm a lot more happy with how it turned out: https://instaud.io/270z
Sounds very nice indeed.