Interested ? (jam112)

Collaborate on tunes with other forum members! Anything goes!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Interested ? (jam112)

Post by jonetsu »

I'm forecasting that I should have a good part of the weekend to do musical stuff. So I'll read your comments, merge the new bass line from Wolfgang, try the new chords and all that. At last ! :)

Tschüß !
forestandgarden
Established Member

Post by forestandgarden »

Here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmobms68yoq5g ... d.zip?dl=1

is an improved version of the possible new part. It should come as 4 tracks that can be used pretty much like clips- it should be fairly easy to edit them in. There is an extra bar before the 'part' really begins, since one of the guitars starts a bit early, before the first beat. Should be self-explanatory, but you'd need to take that little detail into account - well, if the part is getting used, at least.
some of my stuff is ending up here https://alooshu.byethost17.com and here https://clyp.it/user/i4p5dng1 , and you can love me at https://liberapay.com/aloo_shu
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Hallo !

And so I got the bass track incorporated. I also downloaded the 'upload.zip' tracks and will work with them tomorrow as I foresee a relax day. I added to the soundcloud page the new mix:

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/jam112-fretlessbassmix

The update includes the processed bass track plus two screenshots and some brief notes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aptvcnjd2oke5 ... r.bz2?dl=1

It sounds very good with the new bass track ! The natural feeling of the bass adds a lot of character.

wjl:

> I have identified that in the bars 23 and 47 (when setting this to
> 110bpm and considering it as 4/4) there's an 'E' instead of a 'D' in
> the bass - so I replicated that.

So far this is how it's meant to be. The E marks the end of a cycle.

To the fretless bass track I added the subtractive EQ at the top which cuts off the higher end just a bit. Jumping over the 32C EQ the XT-BC shapes the sound in the bass and highs, then follows a chorus to make the sound a bit more spatial and also adds a touch of movement in the notes. This goes into a Pulltec PTM-5A to shape the midrange a tad, then out to a Fairchild compressor. The 32C EQ has a lower shelf at about 30Hz and the 32C compressor works in leveler mode although is barely triggered.

The loudness of some notes were shaped as you can see in the screenshot, so that they merge better with the other tracks.

In a final mix it could very well be that the chorus will be found only on some notes, to accentuate space and movement when needed, perhaps on the slides and the high ending points of the slides for instance.

This is just temporary of course, like a test if you wish. It all happens on the same track, and there's no stem used at this point. And of course, this is all pretty much objective.

As you will notice the other tracks do not have the usual subtractive EQs at the top. This is because the project is still early on. Although I took the opportunity to add one when adding the fretless bass track.

I already hear other modifications that could be made to the bass track to make it merge even better, but I will not do any other processing for now and save that for a later time. The idea gets accross pretty good now as it is. I think though that the bass track is a bit on the loud side at times, but that's OK for now.

I also made the mistake of mixing in the bass track with the master bus mixdown processing active (the master bus compressor and spectral compressor), but I'll leave it at that for now. The master bus processing was modified a bit for the mixdown export as the piece will certainly benefit from a more subtle approach.

Here are a smaller version of the two screenshots:
jam112-FBMix1a-small.jpg
jam112-FBMix1a-small.jpg (71.59 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
jam112-FBMix1b-small.jpg
jam112-FBMix1b-small.jpg (95.75 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Last edited by jonetsu on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Thanks for the inclusion and new publication, jonetsu - sounds great already; you're right. Love it, and so I feel quite honored to be part of this.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Vielen Dank ! Thanks ! The bass as it is makes already much of a difference in expressive deepness. That is to say, please do not hesitate to submit other bass tracks if you further find variations as I will gladly incorporate them, unless of course it veers off towards polka ! :D

Actually there can be many fretless bass tracks in the session with the resulting bass being a comping of various tracks. So if you come up with variations, let it be known. For instance for some measures there could be more of an improvisation. I do not mind at all ending up with 10 or more fretless bass tracks in the session to choose from here and there, especially when it comes up to improvising.

Cheers.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

I'm back to work at the moment, and in the evenings it's "scales and arpeggios" mostly (like in Disney's "Aristocats"), plus a bit noodling around Jazz Standards if I have the time. But I'll see what I can do...
more about me on my blog