Nearly giving up...:-(

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

Nearly giving up...:-(

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi all,

I've become really dispondent with the whole thing. I just seem to be hemmoraging money trying to get this working - all to no avail.

I've been trying to do this for a few years - the first time I bought a Tascam US-428, but seemingly as I didn't have the exact same hardware as the one machine that Tascam tested it on, it was an ill fated attempt.

...so I bought the same hardware they had - at a cost of about 1500 quid. Still didn't work, and after about 7 more months of trying, I gave up and traded the Tascam for a Marshall amp and head.

Then, I tried again, and gave up after about 6 months. Then again, then again.

This was to be my final attempt at getting a digital audio workstation up and running, as playing in live bands is no longer an option in the UK as the pub trade has been killed off by our government, and the music licences have gone up ten fold in the last 5 years.

...and now I've been throwing money at new PCs, soundcard, monitor etc.., very high quality leads, cables, flat response speakers, blah, blah, etc...

...and STILL I don't have anything close to what could be called a DAW.

Can someone please let me know what motherboard, sound card, graphics card, memory, etc... they are using with say either 64_Studio or Ubuntu Studio so that I can spend even more money buying the exact same equipment in a last ditch attempt to try and get this working.

If I throw any more money at it and it still no longer works, I think my misses will cut off my manhood with a blunt spoon.

PS. May I also apologise for the multiple threads, was just getting desperate, sorry.
Havoc
Established Member

Re: Nearly giving up...:-(

Post by Havoc »

Sorry about that, but you seem to approach it from the wrong direction. I know the feeling, went through the same after buying a Creamwave Pulsar. There should be no need to trow those amounts of money after it. Let's try something else.

Let's try to get you a working setup with what you have around with the help here. It won't be easy doing this trough the net but we could try. What we would need to know is:
1: what do you have (motherboard, cpu, memory, videocard, soundcard any other stuff you would like to get working)
2: what you want to achieve (basic, intermediate, advanced) with your daw

The first is so we could check if there is something that might give trouble, or need some special care. The second so you can start with a basic setup and gradually add stuff instead of trying to get a mega setup working in one go. As I see it:
- strip the pc to a basic setup
- get an audio distro running
- get the basic sound IO working
- get the basic apps working (sound and other)
- then add piecewise the rest
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi, thanks for your reply - it really does help to know that there are people out there who are good enough to help.

I apologise for my rather doom-saying post - I'd just been working on it for hours and getting nowhere.

However, I have it outputting audio through Jack and to my amp, at last!!! ;-)

So, I really need to get home (am at work at the moment) and see if I can get it recording.

TBH, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur; when I hear certain music, I often continue it in my head, or it gives me ideas for songs/music etc... and up until now I've never managed to get it down anywhere - that's all I'm trying to acheive really - I have no aspirations to be on MTV ;-)
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

dchurch24 wrote:I have no aspirations to be on MTV ;-)
it's only my opinion but if you did show up on MTV for promoting your music, I would see it as a big failure :lol:
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Ha - it could never happen - I actually use instruments in my music! ;-)
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

Don't worry. I'm just an amateur these days...