USB Mixer / JACK multiple audio devices question

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

organic io
Established Member

USB Mixer / JACK multiple audio devices question

Post by organic io »

Hi. I currently have an m-audio Delta 44 card running in Ubuntu Studio 9.10 with JACK 2. It works really well... However, I am wanting to add an additional audio interface to the PC, while still keeping the Delta.

I need something with an XLR input, and any other inputs would also be a bonus. I was looking at the Alesis Multimix 4 USB mixer which looks like it would do exactly what I need
( http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-MultiMix-U ... 22Z9EK55D4 )

However, I just wanted to get some input from someone to make sure that this is going to work how I need it to.

It is possible to connect multiple audio interfaces simultaneously through JACK now, correct? A while back I did some reading that said trying to do it was a frustrating experience. I even read about "el cheapo" - http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org/toots/el-cheapo/ - A method of soldering several cheap soundcards together so the system sees them as one device. But I gather now that that information is outdated, correct?

Would it be relatively painless to add the Alesis Multimix into my current JACK configuration?

Another question I have is: The Alesis Multimix says it is a 4 channel mixer. Since it is also a USB audio interface, will this mean I would have an additional 4 inputs show up in JACK? Or will it just mix the 4 inputs down into 1 stereo pair which would show up in JACK?

The answer is probably obvious but I have no experience with USB audio interfaces so I just want to make sure I understand what I'm getting into.

Thanks for any help
organic io
Established Member

Re: USB Mixer / JACK multiple audio devices question

Post by organic io »

organic io wrote: Another question I have is: The Alesis Multimix says it is a 4 channel mixer. Since it is also a USB audio interface, will this mean I would have an additional 4 inputs show up in JACK? Or will it just mix the 4 inputs down into 1 stereo pair which would show up in JACK?

The answer is probably obvious but I have no experience with USB audio interfaces so I just want to make sure I understand what I'm getting into.

Thanks for any help
I seem to have answered my second question... The Multimix 4 is only USB 1.1 for whatever reason so it doesn't have enough bandwidth to send out anything other than stereo.

The multimix USB 2.0 is the only usb mixer so far I have found that does separate output channels, but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Still need to know if a usb audio interface would play nice with JACK and my m-audio delta though
steevc
Established Member

Post by steevc »

There are ways to use multiple sound cards, but someone else will have to explain the limitations. Jack only allows for one interface directly. I understand that there can be problems with sample clocks not being in sync. I think the wiki could do with a section on what is possible.

I also understand that practically no USB 2.0 audio devices are supported on Linux as they all use different drivers.

If you don't need more than 4 inputs and you just need an XLR (with phantom power?) then you could just use a cheap mixer or microphone pre-amp.

I've been thinking about what interface to get myself and have more or less settled on a Delta 44 or 66. Going to see if I can get one second hand for a good price.

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

organic io
Established Member

Post by organic io »

I spent a few hours last night fiddling with JACK and used my onboard soundcard as a test. Used alsa_in and was able to get the inputs from my onboard soundcard routed to the m-audio. (Realized I am actually using Jack 1, not 2) I was impressed with how well alsa_in worked! (after I got everything tweaked) So this should theoretically work for other audio interfaces as well.
steevc wrote: If you don't need more than 4 inputs and you just need an XLR (with phantom power?) then you could just use a cheap mixer or microphone pre-amp.

I've been thinking about what interface to get myself and have more or less settled on a Delta 44 or 66. Going to see if I can get one second hand for a good price.
I need as many inputs as I can get! I am already taking up 3 of the 4 on my delta 44 for drum triggers. Right now I am seriously considering getting a bunch of cheapo $1 usb soundcards from hongkong and running them through a USB hub as individual inputs for piezo pickup triggers. Optimally the XLR input would not have to take up another input on my m-audio since there will be times that I need a line in and XLR in simultaneously. (and the drum triggers as well).

Delta 44 is a great card though.
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

organic io wrote:Hi. I currently have an m-audio Delta 44 card running in Ubuntu Studio 9.10 with JACK 2. It works really well... However, I am wanting to add an additional audio interface to the PC, while still keeping the Delta.

I need something with an XLR input, and any other inputs would also be a bonus. I was looking at the Alesis Multimix 4 USB mixer which looks like it would do exactly what I need
( http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-MultiMix-U ... 22Z9EK55D4 )

However, I just wanted to get some input from someone to make sure that this is going to work how I need it to.

It is possible to connect multiple audio interfaces simultaneously through JACK now, correct? A while back I did some reading that said trying to do it was a frustrating experience. I even read about "el cheapo" - http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org/toots/el-cheapo/ - A method of soldering several cheap soundcards together so the system sees them as one device. But I gather now that that information is outdated, correct?

Would it be relatively painless to add the Alesis Multimix into my current JACK configuration?

Another question I have is: The Alesis Multimix says it is a 4 channel mixer. Since it is also a USB audio interface, will this mean I would have an additional 4 inputs show up in JACK? Or will it just mix the 4 inputs down into 1 stereo pair which would show up in JACK?

Thanks for any help
I have the Alesis multimix 4 USB. I wouldn't recommend it based on my experience. Phantom power started failing after guarantee expired and I had to buy en external phantom power. It has a huge hissing noise making it hard to acomplish clean recordings. Functionality is not the best. You have everything mixed down to one stereo channel or two mono ones, (you pan track one to the left and track 2 to the right). The feature I hate the most is that is useless to play guitar with effects like rakarrack because it doesn't have the possibility of turning off direct monitoring. This means that on the output you will always listen your clean input before getting in the computer, and on top of that you will hear the processed signal. That's not good for many reasons, (1) that no matter how low latency you have, you will notice it, (2) the clean unprocessed signal is always louder than the processed signal, so it's hard to achieve a good effect (3) I had to set jack with the Alesis as the input device and my integrated soundcard as the output, I've been told that this is not good and it prevents jack from running smoother, which I checked for myself, it's true.

The phantom power and hissing might be only my issues, so maybe it was just my bad luck. But the other things I've pointed out are how the device is designed, I asked Alesis support and they said that there's no way to avoid it.

If I were you I would spend a few more bucks on a reliable interface, like the M-Audio fast track (not the pro, I always read that the one that runs best is the new fast track). I would also advice you to check as many posts, forums, youtube vids about the Multimix is there (or about the interface you decide to buy) and ask everything to the owners.
organic io wrote:I need as many inputs as I can get! I am already taking up 3 of the 4 on my delta 44 for drum triggers. Right now I am seriously considering getting a bunch of cheapo $1 usb soundcards from hongkong and running them through a USB hub as individual inputs for piezo pickup triggers. Optimally the XLR input would not have to take up another input on my m-audio since there will be times that I need a line in and XLR in simultaneously. (and the drum triggers as well).
I'm not sure I understand what you need, but wouldn't the korg nanopad solve that? You get 12 pads that you can unse for triggering and an xy pad for effects i.e. It works on linux.
organic io
Established Member

Post by organic io »

maghoxfr wrote: I'm not sure I understand what you need, but wouldn't the korg nanopad solve that? You get 12 pads that you can unse for triggering and an xy pad for effects i.e. It works on linux.
Thanks for the advice about the alesis mixer. I think I'll stay away from that one.

As far as the nanopad, that's not exactly what I had in mind although I may consider it later for "finger drumming". Right now I have a DIY MIDI drums setup that I trigger with drumsticks. I just did a little research and it doesn't look like the nanopad responds very well to drumstick hits. Plus the pads are pretty small!

I've been wanting to get the nanokey for a little while though... Still plan on it
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

organic io wrote:
maghoxfr wrote: I'm not sure I understand what you need, but wouldn't the korg nanopad solve that? You get 12 pads that you can unse for triggering and an xy pad for effects i.e. It works on linux.
Thanks for the advice about the alesis mixer. I think I'll stay away from that one.

As far as the nanopad, that's not exactly what I had in mind although I may consider it later for "finger drumming". Right now I have a DIY MIDI drums setup that I trigger with drumsticks. I just did a little research and it doesn't look like the nanopad responds very well to drumstick hits. Plus the pads are pretty small!

I've been wanting to get the nanokey for a little while though... Still plan on it
Alright, I see now what you meant. Yeah, the nanopad is not for that!
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

The only usable controller from the nano series is the nanoKONTROL. The nanoKEY is simply unplayable (bought one a while ago and immediately returned it) and the nanoPAD is nice but apparently the pads are of poor quality (I have one, didn't break down on me yet though). I recently bought an Akai MPK Mini and the pads on that one are already way better. So get an LPD8 or an LPK25 or even better an MPK Mini.

Just my 2¢ ;)

Best,

Jeremy