What do you use as a USB desktop kb solution? Newbie alert!

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

keithinkorea

What do you use as a USB desktop kb solution? Newbie alert!

Post by keithinkorea »

I'm looking for a small usb controller keyboard I can plug into a USB connection.

Something smallish (my home office is tiny)
Something cheapish (below $200 preferably)
Something that wont give me major headaches getting it working with Meercat
Something that works well with Hydrogen, Rosegarden and plug in synths (I've got a few VST ones)
Maybe something with a controller wheel for assigning controllers numbers to
Is aftertouch too much to ask for on a sub $200 usb controller keyboard?
Preferably at least 3 octaves and keys not being too small
Some kind of visual (LED) indicators that communicate useful information rather than have me reaching for a manual. Even better if it has something I can edit from a screen where I can see all the parameters I can play with
Not bothered about a weighted keyboard as its purpose will be simply to input midi data, aftertouch would be nice though
Reasonable quality build

In Summary: I'm simply looking for something small, cheap and of a reasonable build quality for the price.

Any suggestions?

I've not owned a small keyboard-input device before, I used to have a Yamaha SY85 which was a nice bit of kit, but I sold it (I regret that now).

From some cursory looking at things on a few sites I'm thinking maybe Korg, M-Audio, Behringer or Alesis. But to be honest I've not played with any of those USB keyboards yet and don't really have a clue.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Apologies if this issue has been covered a million times on the forums and I've been to dense to see them :D

Cheers

K
maghoxfr
Established Member

Re: What do you use as a USB desktop kb solution? Newbie alert!

Post by maghoxfr »

I have the M-Audio Oxygen 61 and it works great, flawless. Maybe it's smaller versions suit your needs, like the 25 maybe. I leave the link, I'm not spamming btw.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen25.html