Hardware for LIVE Synthesis (NOT recording)

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Emulashun
Established Member

Hardware for LIVE Synthesis (NOT recording)

Post by Emulashun »

Before I get flamed I want to make it clear that developers need to be open to constructive criticism when dealing with technologies of this nature. If they aren't mature enough to accept it, then maybe they should only develop closet IT appliances that humans don't interact with directly. I've done my share of writing programs with minimal/no user interaction, however I can switch my programmer mind off when I go into musician mode. That being said, here are my main issues as a musician:

Does anybody know of audio hardware that is at LEAST 24-bit@96kHz (preferably 192kHz), is USB 2.0 or 1394 for portability, and will play ALL of the default instruments included in ZynAddSubFX with 10-voice polyphony (since I have 10 fingers) without any xruns, crackling, or latency that prevents you from playing live with a band?

I appreciate how far ALSA has come, but I see EXTREMELY poor support for doing live audio unless it's DJ or ambient noise related, or you want to lug around a desktop computer everywhere you go.

I have tried Ubuntu Studio, Studio 64, JAD, Debian, and even Slackware -- although I've been sticking to Ubuntu Studio for the most part. I refuse to support M$ or Crapple, with very few exceptions (i.e. VSTi's, Guitar Rig under WINE, etc).

Here is a list of cliched things I have tried as suggested on pretty much every other thread I've read or posted on:

- Tried 32-bit and 64-bit variations of OS's and software on both AMD and Intel
- Tried M-Audio 1814, Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1, Intel HD Audio, and AC '97 -- only crappy 16-bit AC '97 works
- Tried the RT kernel -- both stock and custom compiled
- Tried '/etc/security/limits.conf' (i.e. RTPRIO, NICE) -- doesn't seem to make any difference
- Tried 'nohz=off' in Grub
- Best latency I can get PERIOD, is ~4ms as reported by JACK, and ~5ms reported by zynaddsubx
- Finally, I have tried AMSynth, Supercollider, Pure Data, etc. -- I do NOT like them, except maybe Pure Data since it has options to expand it's fuctionality (OSC controllers, etc.)

I have not been able to try M-Audio Delta and related cards, because I'm broke from buying the other interfaces and cannot recoup my investments. I would really prefer some sort of external interface like USB 2.0 or FireWire, but it seems the ASLA community only reports what is supported, NOT what ACTUALLY works and would be considered professional. I'm leary of anything that people claim WORKS because I have dealt with ALSA developers who also seem to be the hardware engineers of the audio interfaces and just BS you into buying their company's product by saying it supports ALSA. But serisouly, I need to know what REALLY works.

I would even be more willing to help with development myself if people would just be HONEST about whether or not something works. For example, a 24-bit/192kHz interface does NOT work if it operates only in 16-bit or 96kHz -- why else would people spend so much money on those specs if they don't work. But a typical developer will tell you it DOES work.

It seems like the computers we have today can process this kind of information really well, but the external audio interfaces (USB 2.0 / 1394) that seem to be the trend for pro-audio these days don't have the realtime response they need with Linux. I'm not sure why exactly (threaded audio? Intellectual Property? some kernel bottleneck?), but there should be a standard interface that works with both Desktops and Laptops at the full manufacture's specs.

Basically, I just want to be able to use something like MIDIBox http://www.ucapps.de/ to control ZynAddSubFX or Pure Data (with the same timbral qualities) as though it were a real analog synth that you could tweak in realtime by turning knobs.

Unfortunately, I am unable to bring myself up to speed on kernel programming in a timely manner -- otherwise I'd be willing to create an open FPGA core to do what so many PROFESSIONAL interfaces cannot. But because developers insist on making you RTFM for 3 years instead of simply answering questions that other HARDWARE developers have, I cannot do this.

Sorry if this sounds angry, but I'm tired of developer egos and corporations lying about specs.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

too bad that you're broke. You could try the RME Digiface for example. I use the Multiface II because I need the analog IOs. It can plug to the PCI HDSP card (desktop) or PCMCIA HDSP cardbus (laptop). RME is providing really top quality gears. Save up money and invest in those if you care about high performances.
Emulashun
Established Member

RME

Post by Emulashun »

Yeah, I was looking into the RME interfaces as well. From what I've heard they have a good reputation. I've also heard of a project out there that is supposed to allow you to use whatever spare processos you have for audio (i.e. CPU, GPU, DSP, etc.), but I'm not sure what it's called - I'm pretty sure it wasn't GPGPU, but something like that anyway .
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

if you are using a laptop, I would then advise you be careful. The cool thing about desktop is that you can build them from "scratch" and tweak them rather easily like IRQ reassignments, choice of PCI slot, get rid of all crap that is not needed (3D graphics, etc). The problems come when people are building multi-function machines (PCs) that should be able to be a DAW but also a multimedia center, office work desktop, etc. I am sometimes smiling at the number of people who want to use their machine like a fully capable DAW ... on one face of the compiz cube, while watching an HD movie on another face, and play a windoze 3D game through wine on yet another face of the cube ... I wonder if they have mutated to be able to do all this in realtime! :lol:

seriously, a PC based DAW is not necessarily a powerful machine but a carefully tuned one. You be warned, it all depends on your hardware (mobo, etc). The OS can only work poorly on a poorly assembled machine.

By the way, if you do a lot of live music, why don't you use a rackmount (standard 19''units) with PC components ? I had the idea that I would do that if I had to carry all my gears onto stage so I wouldn't have to undo and remount anything back home. The rackmount would contain all my external gears AND my mobo and HDs. Yeah, that sounds reasonable, with proper casing for protection, I think it would be a compact solution.
Emulashun
Established Member

Laptop vs. Desktop

Post by Emulashun »

I've thought about a desktop/rack setup since PCI cards seem to be the only thing WELL supported. In that case, I suppose the issue would be more hardware (i.e. carpentry and cabinet making) and less tech related, lol

It's a shame I can't find a more portable setup that I could mount to a second tier above my keyboard. Granted, MOST of the stuff I want to do would be MIDI controller based and I could use headless systems with scripts in theory. But I still like to go back to guitar at times -- so that's where WINE comes in.

I admit that I use a minimal compiz for general workflow at home, but for jamming/performing I was thinking about a separate profile on the same machine -- because I only want to buy ONE audio interface. So a rolling cart design would be necessary. So then there's the cost of construction vs. the cost of some expensive laptop.

Considering the above, I'm thinking PCI is the best way to go if I can keep it small, managable, and access the GUI when needed.

Well, thanks for your suggestions. It's much appreciated.