New Hardware

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ScottL
Established Member

New Hardware

Post by ScottL »

Wednesday I got my M-Audio Delta 44 and AudioBuddy.

To be honest, I'm a little excited and nervous. The reason for the excitement should be obvious, I'm beginning to get a recording situation set up again since I haven't really recorded anything for probably over nine years*.

I'm nervous because I'm not sure if anything is there waiting to come out. I think there is.

Later this weekend I'll see about getting some stuff that I have recorded available and post links.

* I started recording with a tape 4-track and moved up to a Yamaha MD8 mini-disc 8 track recorder. When I stopped recording I was playing with a band, getting married, having kids, quitting my job, going back to school and working part time, almost all at the same time!
[font=Comic Sans MS]Drunky | SubGenius[/font]
[font=newsprint]Fat Drunk Bastards[/font]
SubGenius
The headroom is there to handle transients - not the "weight" of the entire signal.
ScottL
Established Member

Post by ScottL »

I do have a question about the Delta 44.

How will this work with an existing Sound Blaster card?

Currently I have a dual boot machine with the on-board sound disabled and a set of semi-cheap speakers connected to the SB for games, listening to videos and CD's.

My theory is to use the SB while in XP, that way my wife doesn't mess with my stuff.

I will use the Delta card in Ubuntu Studio to record and listen back via monitors (that I have yet to purchase) to my music.

For other purposes in Ubuntu Studio I will also use the semi-cheap speakers through the SB card.

Anyone foresee any problems with this?
SubGenius
The headroom is there to handle transients - not the "weight" of the entire signal.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

congratulations with the hardware and good luck recording.

Heard good stories about the m-audio buddy, but you have better ones for that price (or a few euros more) like the maudio dmp 3
http://www.thomann.de/nl/m-audio_dmp_3.htm
or the presonus bluetube

http://www.thomann.de/nl/presonus_bluetube.htm

but maudio buddy was very love a few years ago and you will enjoy it... :)

Edit: o ja your question. Just let windows and your wife (funny situation) use the old card and make sure linux is using your new one...
#alsaconf (?)

but why not take your wife to your computer and have some quality time explaining the new soundcard, some trust is good I think ;)
ScottL
Established Member

Post by ScottL »

In regards to my wife, I've started leaving Ubuntu Studio on instead of rebooting into Windows. The longest she has used it was three days before she finally rebooted. So I guess she is slowly becoming acclimated.

Things don't move quickly at my house due to work, family, etc but I got the sound card in and I believe everything is setup correctly.

My goal will be to try some simple recordings this coming weekend. I'll probably set up to record a simple acoustic piece that I've written.
SubGenius