Firewire or USB supported cards known to work

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jukingeo
Established Member

Firewire or USB supported cards known to work

Post by jukingeo »

Hello all,

I am curious if anyone is using a Firewire or USB external sound device and has proven it to work.

Before you say look at the Freebob and ALSA lists, I know about them, however there seems to be mixed responses in regards to getting USB and/or firewire devices to work in Linux.

As of now I am using Ubuntu Studio, but I may switch over to JackLab or 64Studio.

My current soundcard is a Soundblaster X-Fi and this card is only partially supported in Linux.

Now I have another question in regards to FreeBob. FreeBob is supposed to be for Firewire devices and it does seem that Jack Rack does support this format. However, what I am not sure about what about sound outside of Jack? What does one do then? (Sound in terms of the internet, playing games, playing mp3's, etc).

Next thing is USB. Does USB also use FreeBob? I do see some ALSA support for USB, but again, I would like to use a known good working device.

My Firewire contender is anything from the Echo line (or Presonus...that is fine too).

My USB contender is the Lexicon Omega.

Please Advise.

Thank You,

Geo
mindlessbabel
Established Member

Post by mindlessbabel »

I'm using Lexicon Omega with gentoo linux.
Gentoo Linux (RT)
Ardour2, Hydrogen, Rakarrack, Jamin, JackRack, QSynth, SchismTracker
jukingeo
Established Member

Post by jukingeo »

mindlessbabel wrote:I'm using Lexicon Omega with gentoo linux.
Did you ever get it to work in any of these distributions:

Ubuntu Studio
JackLab
64Studio

I have heard of Gentoo before, but I also heard it is a pain to set up and not for the inexperienced Linux user. I only been on Ubuntu for a month now. Sadly I been having trouble getting my sound card to work mainly because it is only partially supported in Linux. That is why I am asking about audio interfaces because I am going to need to get one that is fully compliant.
mindlessbabel
Established Member

Post by mindlessbabel »

I believe it should work with any distribution since it's using the standard usb audio.

run

Code: Select all

find /lib/modules/`uname -r` -name snd-usb-audio*
on the command line to see if you have the module. I would think that any of the distribution that are more audio orientated would definitely have it enabled.
Gentoo Linux (RT)
Ardour2, Hydrogen, Rakarrack, Jamin, JackRack, QSynth, SchismTracker
studio32

Post by studio32 »

USB is not recommend on linux for audio usage.
Better choose a pci one or firewire.
I choose for pci because of the price...
jukingeo
Established Member

Post by jukingeo »

studio32 wrote:USB is not recommend on linux for audio usage.
Thanx, I did read about latency issues with USB :(. So I will not be going that route. For now I did get my on board sound card to work though. While not ideal it will still allow me to test out applications.

As a side topic of USB, ALSA has a cool website showing all the supported soundcards, now my next question is with MIDI/USB in regards to controllers. Is there a list of supported controller keyboards? (or USB/Midi devices in general)?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

jukingeo wrote:
studio32 wrote:USB is not recommend on linux for audio usage.
Is there a list of supported controller keyboards? (or USB/Midi devices in general)?
check our wiki >> hardware