Emu 0404 USB at 96khz

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

goodvibrations1984
Established Member

Emu 0404 USB at 96khz

Post by goodvibrations1984 »

Hello!

My name is Jose Sousa, and I´m live in Brazil. I have been doing tests with jack about 2 years with my old SB live! I purchased last month an EMU 0404 USB. This weekend I tried it on Ubuntu 10.04. Everything works OK. There is a problem with the sample rate in pulse audio, but is just a difference with the interface firmware sample rate (that windows drivers can set) and Linux sample rate. With a simply edit on Pulse audio daemon file I could change the sample rate and everything works OK. When I was working in 44.1khz, pulse audio and jack applications runs OK. The inputs and outputs works fine, latency was OK too. But when I tried 96khz (I changed it on windows, and after in linux) pulse audio outputs the audio fine. The problem comes when I try to work in jack with 96khz. The sound outputs is OK, latency too, but the analog inputs of my interface gets an "Ultra gain". I have a Roland XP30 connected to the sound board and when I working with Windows, or even jack with 44.1khz it works fine, but only in jack with 96khz the gain is so loud the it distort the sound. I know that is problem with the gain, because if I turn down the volume of my xp30 to the minimum possible and the gain knobs of the interface, the sound goes almost good, but even a heavy note distort the sound. I guess there is a bug in jack. I made tests in audacity using the ALSA driver in 96khz and everything works OK, with pulse audio idem. Emu 0404 USB shows 4 inputs in jack: At 44.1khz, inputs 1 and 2 are the analog. In 96khz when the problem of gain occurs, the analog inputs are 2 and 3... Anyone can help me?

Att
José Sousa
Audio and Music Producer
Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil
Att
José Sousa
Audio and Music Producer
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Emu 0404 USB at 96khz

Post by Capoeira »

seja bem vindo José

jack doesn't put gain on nothing.

you use jack with pulseaudio? use it with alsa

i didn't understand. you changed to 96Khz in windows? What do you mean. you change to 96Khz in jack.

also think of if you realy nead 96Khz. Do make sound afor DVDs? Do you know this page: http://www.audicaocritica.com.br/pro-au ... e-verdades ?

abraço
goodvibrations1984
Established Member

Thanks for the answer, Capoeira (eh um saco ter que escrever para um brasileiro em ingles, mas vamos la, assim vou treinando hehehehe)

Let me explain...

My emu interface (0404 usb), supports sample rates from 44100khz to 192000khz. The driver provided by emu is for windows, and the sample rate must be set in the driver. For example, if I will work at 48khz in Cubase, the driver must be in 48khz. When I do this, the windows driver change the interface's firmware to the current sample rate.

When I come to Linux, my card was set in 96khz, by windows, and pulse audio, or alsa works only when I set them to 96khz, otherwise the sound was harsh. The point is: The card must be in the same sample rate of the driver to work. The linux driver can't change the interface sample rate, so I must use the one that was set previously on windows. To make the linux work in 44.1khz I have to go windows and change the sample rate in the windows driver to make the interface change its firmware. I know its a little tricky, but I will use always the same sample rate, so I have to do this just one time.

I work at an Audio production company in my city, and I think 96khz sounds better, but at home, I'm just producing my own music. Anyway, I think the driver in linux sounds better when everything is in 96khz.

When everything is in 44.1khz, everything works fine, even jack inputs. But in 96khz, jack inputs had the gain problem. I asked in jack devel forum and someone thinks that can't be a jack bug. I think the same. And I using Jack with Alsa driver. Can be an Alsa issue? Audacity works fine with alsa driver at 96khz, the problem occurs only with jack at 96khz.

I'd like to use linux because I think it just sounds better than windows. Everything seems to sounds better, even simple mp3 playback.
Att
José Sousa
Audio and Music Producer
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

I don't know, i'm afraid I can't help you. I'm surprised it even works for you on linux, since USB2 cards are dificult to run on Linux and after reading this:
http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projec ... emu0404usb
The author is a active member of this forum, perhaps he knows something (Louigi I think)

Have you tried another jack version or even jack2?
goodvibrations1984
Established Member

I think the driver is ok. Everything seems to work fine. Just jack at 96khz don´t work properly. The article written by Louigi it´s too much pessimist and outdated. The driver works. I just need to know were to find a solution: With alsa or jack developers.
I did´t know about jack2. I´ll search something about this in google e do some tests.

There´s another place in this forum wich someone related to alsa development can see this topic?

Thanks, for the advice!
Att
José Sousa
Audio and Music Producer
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

goodvibrations1984 wrote: I did´t know about jack2. I´ll search something about this in google e do some tests.
do you have multicore-CPU? If, yes give jack2 a try. Use PPAs for ubuntu for newest packages
goodvibrations1984 wrote: There´s another place in this forum wich someone related to alsa development can see this topic?
Não da pra entender isto rsrsrsr
goodvibrations1984
Established Member

There´s another place in this forum wich someone related to alsa development can see this topic?

I´m sorry. My question was if I can put this topic in other place of this site. I new in web-based lists. Now we are at "Computer Ralated Hardware".
Att
José Sousa
Audio and Music Producer
goodvibrations1984
Established Member

goodvibrations1984 wrote: There´s another place in this forum wich someone related to alsa development can see this topic?

I´m sorry. My question was if I can put this topic in other place of this site. I´m new in web-based lists. Now we are at "Computer Ralated Hardware".
Att
José Sousa
Audio and Music Producer
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

goodvibrations1984 wrote:

I´m sorry. My question was if I can put this topic in other place of this site. I´m new in web-based lists. Now we are at "Computer Ralated Hardware".
just make another topic, should be ok
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Or join the alsa-users mailing list or the linux audio users mailing list and ask there.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... ling-lists

http://lad.linuxaudio.org/subscribe/lau.html

Cheers! Pablo
AlainT
Established Member

Using Emu 0404 USB

Post by AlainT »

Hi!

New on this forum. Very interesting, indeed....

Well, as far as I understand what Jose says, it seems to be possible to use the Emu 0404 USB audio interface in a basic fashion using Alsa, or even Jack.
I wish to use it in a simple configuration, getting audio outputs at 44.1kHz and MIDI input (one MIDI channel at a time). Target softwares are audio players, and Pianoteq, a keyboard synt.
Question: possible or not?
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Using Emu 0404 USB

Post by Capoeira »

AlainT wrote:Hi!

Well, as far as I understand what Jose says, it seems to be possible to use the Emu 0404 USB audio interface in a basic fashion using Alsa, or even Jack.
I wish to use it in a simple configuration, getting audio outputs at 44.1kHz and MIDI input (one MIDI channel at a time). Target softwares are audio players, and Pianoteq, a keyboard synt.
Jose could answer that better.

Officialy there is no support: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... ative_Labs
but there is a link to this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=205
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

Hey guys!

I will have to clarify the matter and also update the article on my site.

As it is common in the linux world, where thousands of people work with the code and hack away, while officially the driver is NOT supported and ALSA dev told me so, actually some guys DID do some work and the card should work quite fine. I am about to test it this week. The only problem, which is solvable through some hacking, is that the volume knob will not work. Other than that - it should be fine with latest ALSA.

Linux Audio is a queer world, I tell you! ;)
goodvibrations1984
Established Member

AlainT wrote:Hi!

So... Everything its ok Ubuntu and EMU 0404 USB... I´m doing several tests to port my setup to linux and until now, everything related to my interface its ok, except the 96khz issue on Jack.

I´m running a ubuntu 10.04 minimal system. In other words, I installed Ubuntu mini CD (only about 14mb) with command line and add my stuff. I´m using E17 windows manager only. I´m not using pulse audio, gnome and all the stuff witch comes with ubuntu or ubuntu studio.
I follow this article:

http://tapanisysimetsa.blogspot.com/201 ... on_10.html

I didn´t install everything. Gnome, lubuntu and other audio apps I don´t use, I left away.

My CPU it´s an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gb ram, 2 hds, 160gb and 500gb. Intel motherboard.

The system is working with RT kernel and some tweaks I found in the article.

The performance of my EMU 0404 USB is BETTER THAN WINDOWS - just 64 samples with 2 buffers in jack with a ultra low latency of 2.4ms. Xruns only when graphical interface do something, but audio is ok. Better than windwos 7 too.

For now I´m installing the windows plugins with wine. I need to test them with dssi-vst and qtractor. If dssi-vst don´t work, I´ll use Reaper.

I use some comercial plugins: ReFX Vanguard, ReFx Nexus, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer (this I´ll try to change, I just need the cymbals, coz my XP30 Bass n Drum board have excelent drums). If NI Kontakt works would be fine.

When I get something I´ll post here the result.

If someone need, will be a pleasure help, but I don´t know many things . PM for my msn.
Att
José Sousa
Audio and Music Producer
vinyylimees
Established Member

Post by vinyylimees »

Hello

I bought Emu 0404 USB audio interface. It is nice soundcard but I have this strange ultra-gain problem at 96khz with jack2. I tested it also with simple alsa and audacity configuration and then it worked but with jack and audacity or ardour it don't, it just gets this ultra-gain. Does anybody know what causes this? Is it alsa, or jack bug or even hardware bug? 48 khz samplerate works fine I do recordings at this sampleate at the moment. It feels that this "bug" is so strange that tere is only very little information about it.

All the best.