Tascam FW1834 or M-Audio Projectmix

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

luispa
Established Member

Tascam FW1834 or M-Audio Projectmix

Post by luispa »

Hi,
I'm still looking for an 8 mic preamps audio interface. I have the chance to get one of these old interfaces/surface controllers but I was not able to find information about how they perform on Linux nor about how supported they are, I use mostly Ardour, Also, I'd like to know your opinions about AD converters and preamps quality.

Thank you very much in advance.
luispa
Established Member

Re: Tascam FW1834 or M-Audio Projectmix

Post by luispa »

Thank you for your reply!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

These both may have been decent units when first released in about 2003 and 2005, but that's a long life for electronics with moving controls. May work fine, may require some reconditioning, may be complete duds. I wouldn't part with any moolah before actually trying them out. They both are capable of using Mackie Control so could work with Ardour although you would probably have to write your own midi map.
They are also both Firewire devices which is a protocol being left behind these days. Does the computer you want to use them with have good Firewire capabilities?
luispa
Established Member

Post by luispa »

sunrat wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:04 pm They are also both Firewire devices which is a protocol being left behind these days. Does the computer you want to use them with have good Firewire capabilities?
Thank you for your reply. My desktop computer has Firewire port and my old Dell laptop also has one.

I'd also know your opinions about these units preamps quality.