Launchkey Mini or MPK Mini Mk3 for use with Ardour?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

proffalken

Launchkey Mini or MPK Mini Mk3 for use with Ardour?

Post by proffalken »

Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum, got pointed here a few weeks back after ranting about the state of music software on Linux and have since managed to get Ardour up and running with Spitfire Labs and various other VST's so am now fully converted! :D

I'm in the market for a small, portable MIDI controller that I can take with me whilst travelling for business.

I'm looking for something with the following features:
  • Must cost less than £100 (approx $120USD at time of writing)
  • Must have a piano-style keyboard because most of what I want to do is attempting to compose for TV/Film
  • Must have Pitch/Modulation
  • Should have pads for drums etc
  • Could have an arpeggio generator
This has brought me to a choice between the AKAI MPK Mini Mk 3, and the Novation Launchkey Mini.

Given that I'm using Ardour as my primary DAW, and that I'll want to be throwing it into a rucksack for travel and use in hotels etc, would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks in advance!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Launchkey Mini or MPK Mini Mk3 for use with Ardour?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

proffalken wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:48 pm [...] I'm looking for something with the following features:
  • [...]
  • Should have pads for drums etc
  • Could have an arpeggio generator
This has brought me to a choice between the AKAI MPK Mini Mk 3, and the Novation Launchkey Mini.
[...]
I'm afraid most small cheap Midi keyboards don't have an arpeggiator. The two you mention should be nice and "class compliant" so they'll work (in Linux and Windows) without a special proprietary driver from the manufacturer.

Another option nowadays is the Behringer Swing (100 Euro). It may be a bit larger than you intended but it has an arp and a sequencer. It's B's version of the Arturia Keystep. Both of those do not have drum pads tho...

Good luck choosing! :)

P.S. Stay away from the Arturia Minilab. Some revisions aren't USB class compliant.
proffalken

Post by proffalken »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:53 am I'm afraid most small cheap Midi keyboards don't have an arpeggiator. The two you mention should be nice and "class compliant" so they'll work (in Linux and Windows) without a special proprietary driver from the manufacturer.
Thanks, that's good to know.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:53 am Another option nowadays is the Behringer Swing (100 Euro). It may be a bit larger than you intended but it has an arp and a sequencer. It's B's version of the Arturia Keystep. Both of those do not have drum pads tho...
OK, I'll take a look. Drum pads aren't compulsory, but it would be nice to have them
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:53 am P.S. Stay away from the Arturia Minilab. Some revisions aren't USB class compliant.
Ah, that's really important to know, I've had a few people recommend the Minilab now, and it looked great, but if it's a bit hit/miss on whether it will work under Linux/my DAW, then that's a good reason to rule it out.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

I would lean toward the AKAI. Ardour already includes a MIDI map for it, it is USB class compliant, and it has a joystick for pitch and modulation rather than the touch strips on the Novation.
From what I've seen of both brands I imagine AKAI would be a bit more solidly built although a hard case would be a good idea if travelling. I have an older Novation which works OK but I wouldn't want to take it on the road.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Hmmm. The Novation needs a driver in Windows. That's always a bad sign. But no driver to be found for Apple. That's a good sign...

Another tip: if you want to use 'm with old DIN Midi calbles I don't think that possible. Only USB Midi.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

I have the super cheap "Midiplus" brand AKM322, and everything (including the arp) works out of the box or is easy to map. 18x5x1.5 inches (it's tiny) and class compliant. No drum pads but you can use the keys. :D
listenable at c6a7.org
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

I have the Mk2 version of the MPK mini, and it works fine.
more about me on my blog
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:53 am I'm afraid most small cheap Midi keyboards don't have an arpeggiator.
Akai LPK25 has arpeggiator, but sure, that is only extra feature it has. No pads, no knobs or sliders.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM