Focusrite Clarett/Clarett+ USB Linux support

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

geoffrey
Established Member

Focusrite Clarett/Clarett+ USB Linux support

Post by geoffrey »

Hi all,

Anyone out there have a Focusrite Clarett or Clarett+ USB interface (2Pre, 4Pre, or 8Pre)? The way the proprietary controls work on those is really similar to the Scarlett interfaces, so we should be able to add support for them pretty easily if you could get in contact with me to do some testing.

Thanks,
Geoffrey.
geoffrey
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Clarett/Clarett+ USB Linux support

Post by geoffrey »

Clarett 8Pre USB and Clarett+ 8Pre support is available now. Please test and provide feedback if you can!

https://github.com/geoffreybennett/scar ... rlett-gen3

Let me know if you need a prebuilt kernel.
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

Wow, that was pretty quick! :lol:
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

martibs wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:26 pm Wow, that was pretty quick! :lol:
:lol: yes! Credit to Christian Colglazier for getting it done for the Clarett+ 8Pre, and that's now been submitted (& accepted) upstream. I've only guessed on the Clarett 8Pre USB; hopefully someone with one can confirm soon.
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

geoffrey wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 pm
martibs wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:26 pm Wow, that was pretty quick! :lol:
:lol: yes! Credit to Christian Colglazier for getting it done for the Clarett+ 8Pre, and that's now been submitted (& accepted) upstream. I've only guessed on the Clarett 8Pre USB; hopefully someone with one can confirm soon.
Upstreamed, as in to the mainline linux kernel? If so, from which version it is enabled? Also, will Clarett+ work with your GUI too?
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Hi RockMaster,
RockMaster wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:48 pm
geoffrey wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 pm :lol: yes! Credit to Christian Colglazier for getting it done for the Clarett+ 8Pre, and that's now been submitted (& accepted) upstream. I've only guessed on the Clarett 8Pre USB; hopefully someone with one can confirm soon.
Upstreamed, as in to the mainline linux kernel?
Yes.
RockMaster wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:48 pm If so, from which version it is enabled?
It should arrive in 6.1.
RockMaster wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:48 pm Also, will Clarett+ work with your GUI too?
Yes, I've added support for that too :)

Regards,
Geoffrey.
ycollette
Established Member

Post by ycollette »

Here is the log of alsactl -f /tmp/scarlett-gen1-XiY.state store for Scarlett 18i8 on Fedora 35.
Attachments
scarlett-gen1-18i8.state.txt
(78.57 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

ycollette wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:15 pm Here is the log of alsactl -f /tmp/scarlett-gen1-XiY.state store for Scarlett 18i8 on Fedora 35.
Thanks ycollette. Would you mind having a look at the questions I've placed here and seeing if you can help with the answers? https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa ... /issues/33
Thanks!
ycollette
Established Member

Post by ycollette »

geoffrey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:28 pm
ycollette wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:15 pm Here is the log of alsactl -f /tmp/scarlett-gen1-XiY.state store for Scarlett 18i8 on Fedora 35.
Thanks ycollette. Would you mind having a look at the questions I've placed here and seeing if you can help with the answers? https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa ... /issues/33
Thanks!
I will try to answer your questions tomorrow ...
Pinguinpat
Established Member

Post by Pinguinpat »

I've read in your comments on Github Geoffrey that adding the support in your control panel for a Clarrett+ 4Pre should be a peace off cake. Now my programming days ended in a previous century on a 8 bit Atari. :)

So can you help me to make the card work? I use Kubuntu 22.04.1 with kernel 5.15.0-47-generic.
When I give the dmesg | grep Clarett+ command it returns [ 2.211171] usb 5-2: Product: Clarett+ 4Pre
aplay -l gives:
card 4: C4Pre [Clarett+ 4Pre], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Since I've bought a Clarrett+ 4Pre you are kind of my only hope that this thing actually would send a sound to my amplifier! Thank you! I'll put you in my testament for your help of course! (And some Belgian beer before I die) :D
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Pinguinpat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:01 pm I've read in your comments on Github Geoffrey that adding the support in your control panel for a Clarrett+ 4Pre should be a peace off cake. Now my programming days ended in a previous century on a 8 bit Atari. :)
For a programmer with a Clarett+ 4Pre in front of them, it would be a piece of cake. I tried adding support for all the Scarlett devices without having them in front of me. It wasn't much fun, so I ended up buying one of each instead. That's not currently in my budget for the Clarett series.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Focusrite should send you demo units. Your work boosts their sales. They are making money because of what you do. Same with ALSA developers.
Pinguinpat
Established Member

Post by Pinguinpat »

I completely agree bluzee!! I have a Focusrite Forte that worked completely out of the box, I presumed that this would be no different with the Clarett+ I have a month time to return that thing. No use keeping it when it doesn't work with Linux.

I guess we don't live in each others area... Blind trust isn't always a good thing but I'm willing to take a risk here. I'm happy to hand it over if you can make this damn thing work.
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

bluzee wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:45 pm Focusrite should send you demo units.
That would be nice, I agree. So far they haven't said yes when I've asked.
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Pinguinpat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:24 pm I completely agree bluzee!! I have a Focusrite Forte that worked completely out of the box, I presumed that this would be no different with the Clarett+ I have a month time to return that thing. No use keeping it when it doesn't work with Linux.

I guess we don't live in each others area... Blind trust isn't always a good thing but I'm willing to take a risk here. I'm happy to hand it over if you can make this damn thing work.
If it doesn't work at all, my driver won't help. The audio-over-USB part of the device is class-compliant and should work with any Linux. My driver should only be necessary in order to (re)configure the routing/mixing/etc options.

So if you're only needing to use it as a direct interface and not needing to reconfigure the routing/mixing/etc. then you should just be able to just set it up once using the Windows/Mac software & then plug it in to Linux & away you go.