Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1 Control Panel GUI

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

geoffrey
Established Member

Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1 Control Panel GUI

Post by geoffrey »

Hi all,

It looks like it shouldn't be too hard to update my Linux Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2/3 Control Panel GUI https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa-scarlett-gui to work with Gen 1 as well, but I need some data from people who have one.

If you've got a Gen 1 interface that's supported (6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8, or 18i20), please send me the file produced by running "alsactl -f /tmp/scarlett-gen1-XiY.state store" and I'll see what I can do with it.

Here's what the routing configuration window would look like:
gen1-routing.png
gen1-routing.png (240.86 KiB) Viewed 47577 times
Thanks,
Geoffrey.
tudor2012

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1 Control Panel GUI

Post by tudor2012 »

hi !
please find attached the file from a 18i20 on ubuntu 22.04.

I also have a clarett 8pre if you want some files from it.
thank you very much for looking into this.
Attachments
scarlett-gen1-XiY.state.txt
(78.03 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

tudor2012 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:36 pm hi !
please find attached the file from a 18i20 on ubuntu 22.04.

I also have a clarett 8pre if you want some files from it.
thank you very much for looking into this.
Hi @tudor2012,

Clarett+ 8Pre support has been submitted upstream. Clarett 8Pre USB support is waiting on someone to test.
Please see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24787 — feedback and testing would be great!

Thanks,
Geoffrey.
MightyT

Post by MightyT »

Hi,

here's one for the 1st gen 2i4, thank you for your work!
Attachments
scarlett-gen1-2i4.state.txt
(12.35 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

And attached here's my good old Gen1 2i4 (curious that's almost twice as big a file then other 2i4 !? )
Attachments
scarlett-gen1-2i4.txt
(24.64 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
rousbound

Post by rousbound »

Hi, here's one for the Scarlett 18i8 Gen1.

Thank you very much for this initiative.

Attachments
scarlett-gen1-18i8.txt
(104.27 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Musicmaker
Established Member

Post by Musicmaker »

Hi ,

Since the Gen 1 support is still pending and the code has no much comments, trying to figure out how to add 18i20 Gen 1.
Please guide me on which sources to change

already have:

struct hw_info gen_1_info[] = {
{ "Scarlett 18i20 USB" },
{ }
};

struct hw_cat hw_cat[] = {
{ "1st Gen",
gen_1_info
},

{ "2nd Gen",
gen_2_info
},
{ "Small 3rd Gen",
gen_3_small_info
},
{ "Big 3rd Gen",
gen_3_big_info
},
{ }
};

but there seems more needs to change.

salvim

Post by salvim »

Has anyone managed to get Scarlett 2i2 1st gen to work properly on Ubuntu 22.04? Could you give some tips on this?

Last edited by salvim on Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

I just plugged it into USB and it works. Alsamixer shows no controls. Don't know if that means anything. All control is available with knobs and switches on the unit.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

salvim wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:46 pm

Has anyone managed to get Scarlett 2i2 1st gen to work properly on Ubuntu 22.04? Could you give some tips on this?

Just plug it in. There are no controls for an internal mixer because there is none.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

burt777
Established Member

Post by burt777 »

Hey, i just wanted to chip in: I'm also looking for Debian support for my Scarlett 18i20 Gen1; so i'm basically in the same spot as Musicmaker: Looking at the code (even with the help of my new LLM friends), but not understanding enough of it to have a serious go.

I won't give up yet, but i thought i'd post here too in case anybody could give us a few hints...!

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

burt777 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:49 pm

Hey, i just wanted to chip in: I'm also looking for Debian support for my Scarlett 18i20 Gen1; so i'm basically in the same spot as Musicmaker: Looking at the code (even with the help of my new LLM friends), but not understanding enough of it to have a serious go.

I won't give up yet, but i thought i'd post here too in case anybody could give us a few hints...!

Hi @burt777,

I haven't forgotten about you guys; I recently managed to obtain a 1st Gen 18i6 which will help me get this done. If you don't manage to figure it out first, then I'll be adding support for the 1st Gen interfaces after I've finished the 4th Gen and Vocaster support. Please subscribe to notifications on the issue here https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa ... /issues/33

Regards,
Geoffrey.

Tranced
Established Member

Post by Tranced »

geoffrey wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:22 am
burt777 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:49 pm

Hi @burt777,

I haven't forgotten about you guys; I recently managed to obtain a 1st Gen 18i6 which will help me get this done. If you don't manage to figure it out first, then I'll be adding support for the 1st Gen interfaces after I've finished the 4th Gen and Vocaster support. Please subscribe to notifications on the issue here https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa ... /issues/33

Regards,
Geoffrey.

Hey man, just came here to ask you about this.

So I have a Focusrite 6i6 1st Gen and I've just installed Debian 12 KDE Plasma 5 on dual boot with W11.

Is there anyway to get absolutely any sound using this setup? W11 works fine of course, but Debian outputs nothing. Funnily enough, I do seem to remember having sound on Ubuntu a while back.

I'm otherwise brand new to linux and struggling to understand whether yous are waiting for some kind of advanced driver system & GUI for the sound card, or simply want to produce sound output (for now at least), like me.

Do yous have any sound? If so, is there a guide? Seen a lot of conflicting things and don't want to break anything

burt777
Established Member

Post by burt777 »

Yes! I think this is the part that i already learned (the hard way ;-> ), so i hope i can help you with some good news:

Usually the card works and is recognized right away. Check if it shows up in

Code: Select all

lsusb | grep -i scarlett

Hopefully (and this happened to me a bunch of times), it's "just" that one (or more) of the many controls is muted.
To fix this, start

alsamixer

, select the Scarlett with F6. Take a minute to figure out how it works. Specifically, try to mute and unmute a channel and see what it looks like (i find it's not intuitive at all). Start a music player or whatever, and start unmuting channels/busses and turning them up.

Let's hope things are this simple for you too, obviously ymmv.
The bad news might be that these settings are sometimes lost on reboot.

(There's also "QASMixer" in the GUI... it might be ... less worse for you, but it's still pretty bad. Which is why we are all in here rooting for and applauding Geoffrey in the first place. Go Geoffrey :D )

Tranced
Established Member

Post by Tranced »

burt777 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:42 pm

Yes! I think this is the part that i already learned (the hard way ;-> ), so i hope i can help you with some good news:

Usually the card works and is recognized right away. Check if it shows up in

lsusb | grep -i scarlett

Hopefully (and this happened to me a bunch of times), it's "just" that one (or more) of the many controls is muted.
To fix this, start

alsamixer

, select the Scarlett with F6. Take a minute to figure out how it works. Specifically, try to mute and unmute a channel and see what it looks like (i find it's not intuitive at all). Start a music player or whatever, and start unmuting channels/busses and turning them up.

Let's hope things are this simple for you too, obviously ymmv.
The bad news might be that these settings are sometimes lost on reboot.

(There's also "QASMixer" in the GUI... it might be ... less worse for you, but it's still pretty bad. Which is why we are all in here rooting for and applauding Geoffrey in the first place. Go Geoffrey :D )

Too right I'm rooting for him. Found the focusrite articles by chance just after installing Debian, so perfect timing - the stars are aligned Geoffrey!! :mrgreen:

What's this thing about using Jack for this as well? I'll try your method first.Thanks!