My new set of floor units - Boss RC-600, Boss VE-500 and Line 6 HX Stomp XL

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

RockMaster
Established Member

My new set of floor units - Boss RC-600, Boss VE-500 and Line 6 HX Stomp XL

Post by RockMaster »

Just wanted to share some knowledge on my new set of floor units.

Boss RC-600 Loop Station - creme de la creme of looper boards at the moment. When plugged in immediately recognized as an audio interface. If you change USB setting on the unit to "Storage" - it then shows up as a flash drive where you can upload your backing tracks and loops. But there's more - you can actually update the firmware straight from linux, you just have to follow the steps on Boss' website word for word.

Boss VE-500 Vocal Performer - probably the best vocal floor unit at the moment. When plugged in is recognized as an audio interface. Unfortunately it's control and firmware updating software only works in a VM with usb pass through. I've used Virtualbox with it's extension pack that enables USB 3. The software in the VM works though and you can do everything you need there.

Line 6 HX Stomp XL - no introductions needed. I picked it over standard HX Stomp because of additional switches when I saw a video on Youtube of the best MIDI controller on the planet - Morningstar MC8 (open source and supported on linux no less) failing. When plugged in is recognized as an audio interface. Control software and firmware updating can also only be done in the VM, but it works without any additional hacks just like VE-500 above.
photoberto

Re: My new set of floor units - Boss RC-600, Boss VE-500 and Line 6 HX Stomp XL

Post by photoberto »

Hi Rockmaster,

For the RC-600, did you get the RC Rhythm Converter software to work? I got the software installed (wine) but it doesn't seem to see the USB port.
Grtz, Bert