Audacity Crash at Startup with Ubutnu Studio 22.04 LTS and Terratec Phase88 PCI (Ice1712 Envy24)

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scorpius.milo

Audacity Crash at Startup with Ubutnu Studio 22.04 LTS and Terratec Phase88 PCI (Ice1712 Envy24)

Post by scorpius.milo »

Hi everyone,

First of all I'm sorry for my bad English.

My Setup:

- Asus P6X58D-E -Xeon 5670 (Integrated sound card disabled in bios)
- 6x4GB of DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
- R9 370 GPU
- Terratec Phase 88 PCI with RCA Ice/VT1712 Envy24 (And this is probably the key to the problem)
- A BX500 SSD plugged into Sata 6 Gb/s on the Marvell 88SE9128
- A PS/2 keyboard and a USB mouse.
- Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS

Audacity crashes on startup and does not launch, just the little Windows with Audacity Logo and nothing more.

I know it is an old setup with very old soundcard, but it's my first setup on linux for music and I hope it could work.

I'm not really very familiar with Linux (Ubuntu Studio) but I know how to edit config files (sudo nano... ) or go to console to watch logs if you tell me the commands.

I Use QJackctl:
- with the “Server path”. Insert pasuspender -- (Stop Pulseaudio normally?)
- Enable D-Bus Interface
- Enable Jack D-Bus Interface

I have sound in Firefox/Youtube for exemple, I can even record it in Ardour without problem "I select Jack Sink on the Ardour Track" (I play it after).

I don't know if it's a software or hardware problem with Audacity or even a Qjack bad setup

I tried with another sound card U-Phoria UMC204HD on the same setup and same QJackctl options without the Terratec and Audacity works (I can record Firefox/Youtube ...)

Ps: I tried with another motherboard and another cpu/gpu setup:
- (Integrated sound card disabled in bios)
- E8500
- HD5450
- 4Giga of ram

The problem is exactly the same, Ardor works but Audacity crashes on startup.

I strongly think of a compatibility problem with the Terratec Phase 88 PCI

Do you have an idea, thank you.