Kemper VS Helix

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

RockMaster
Established Member

Kemper VS Helix

Post by RockMaster »

Guitar players - which one of these works better with linux - Line 6 Helix or Kemper Stage?
hefxthoth
Established Member

Re: Kemper VS Helix

Post by hefxthoth »

Hi. A few guitar processors works fine as class compliant interfaces. I seem to remember that my old sold pod X3 was one of them, but I don't know if it's the case of Helix or Kemper. I'm a owner of a GT-1000 and Ubuntu Studio recognizes the device, but it works at 32 bits and very high sampling frequency (I don't remember exactly). I can't change it, so I use the processor only for live situations.
The only linux-friendly guitar processors I know are MOD devices, but I don't have any experience with them.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

I have a Line 6 HX Stomp that worked out of the box as interface in Linux. Never tried the Kemper, though.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Slightly OT but I'd be interested to know if the Neural Quad Cortex works OOTB in Linux. It doesn't need a driver installed for Mac so good chance it does work. It's highly rated as one of the best guitar interfaces currently available.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Odds are high that they are all running on linux themselves.
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

bluzee wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:33 am Odds are high that they are all running on linux themselves.
Very good odds, but ironically there's no official support for linux, because their customer base follows the M$ religion.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Also, very good odds that the companies most vocal against Linux are using GPL code in violation of the license.
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

sunrat wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:59 pm Slightly OT but I'd be interested to know if the Neural Quad Cortex works OOTB in Linux. It doesn't need a driver installed for Mac so good chance it does work. It's highly rated as one of the best guitar interfaces currently available.
I've been playing with plugins Helix Native, Amplitube and Neural DSP. Neural DSP sounds the best to my ear, so now I am curious about the Quad Cortex floor unit as well, but ѕhit, it costs a fortune. I wish they had smaller versions like Line 6 does.

But then there's also Fractal FM9. I feel option paralysis from watching all the comparison videos on youtube... Imagine if you drop that kind of cash on one of these units and eventually realize you hate it.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

RockMaster wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:46 am

I've been playing with plugins Helix Native, Amplitube and Neural DSP. Neural DSP sounds the best to my ear, so now I am curious about the Quad Cortex floor unit as well, but ѕhit, it costs a fortune. I wish they had smaller versions like Line 6 does.
Do you run the Helix Native and Neural DSP in Linux?
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

finotti wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:32 pm
RockMaster wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:46 am

Do you run the Helix Native and Neural DSP in Linux?
Yeah, I run them with Wine and Yabridge just fine. Only annoying problem is that Helix Native doesn't have HiDPI support, so font is microscopic on my 4K screen, but still somewhat readable. Both Amplitube and Neural DSP have good UI scaling though.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

RockMaster wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:34 am Yeah, I run them with Wine and Yabridge just fine. Only annoying problem is that Helix Native doesn't have HiDPI support, so font is microscopic on my 4K screen, but still somewhat readable. Both Amplitube and Neural DSP have good UI scaling though.
Thanks for the reply!

I'd tried to run Helix Native without success recently. I will update wine-staging and try again, then. Did you have to do any hacking to get it to work?

I was also interested in the Neural DSP plugins, but I saw that they use iLock. Does iLock work with wine as well? Again, any hacking involved.

I do have AmpliTube running just fine, though!
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

finotti wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:44 pm
RockMaster wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:34 am Yeah, I run them with Wine and Yabridge just fine. Only annoying problem is that Helix Native doesn't have HiDPI support, so font is microscopic on my 4K screen, but still somewhat readable. Both Amplitube and Neural DSP have good UI scaling though.
Thanks for the reply!

I'd tried to run Helix Native without success recently. I will update wine-staging and try again, then. Did you have to do any hacking to get it to work?

I was also interested in the Neural DSP plugins, but I saw that they use iLock. Does iLock work with wine as well? Again, any hacking involved.

I do have AmpliTube running just fine, though!
Actually I have wine-stable (7.0), not staging, I think I remember that Helix Native wouldn't work with staging. Neural DSP worked out of the box for me, no hacks needed.