Audio Cards that work with Linux. Recommendations?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

krussedull
Established Member

Audio Cards that work with Linux. Recommendations?

Post by krussedull »

Hi, I assumed there was a thread like this, with an overview over what audio cards members have that works on linux.
..but I can't seem to find it, henc this new topic.

Would you be kind enough to share what audio card you are using that works with linux?

..my good 'ol TC Electronic Konnekt 24D just freaked out and is unusable, so I'm looking to buy a new good sound card.

Thank you!

ps. If this thread receives a lot of answers/links etc, I will maintain a list here...
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Audio Cards that work with Linux. Recommendations?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

krussedull wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:20 am Hi, I assumed there was a thread like this, with an overview over what audio cards members have that works on linux.

Would you be kind enough to share what audio card you are using that works with linux?

..my good 'ol TC Electronic Konnekt 24D just freaked out and is unusable, so I'm looking to buy a new good sound card.

Thank you!

ps. If this thread receives a lot of answers/links etc, I will maintain a list here...
On some Alsa website they might still maintain a list of working audio cards/devices.

As for a replacement of your TC Electronic audio device: Behringer took 'm over. The website of your device shows people from B. And the device looks suspiciously the same as the U-Phora USB audio devices. That B. range of audio devices works well in Linux without having to install drivers. And they're cheap. I have the 404.

Good luck. :)
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

For USB devices in the 2-4 channel range I think most if not all should work fine. Might be better to compile a list of any that don't work.

I also have a UMC404HD and I like it fine. I still have a Delta 66 PCI card but it needs external preamps.
Babarosa
Established Member

Post by Babarosa »

Concerning USB audio interfaces I've used a "Behringer UMC204HD" and still am using a "MOTU M4 v3" and an "ESI Maya22 USB".
All of the three worked/work very well on Debian 11/12 with a real-time-kernel from the official repos and have good to excellent specs.

Despite other postings here I didn't/do not have any disturbances (x-runs, crackling, ...) while recording or playback with these interfaces, even on very weak machines (Intel Atom D510, D525).

Additionally I am still using a "Terratec Phase X24 FW" firewire interface which also works very well with Debian 11/12. You get a used one very cheap these days.

[Edit: added additional info]

Last edited by Babarosa on Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debian 12 - MOTU M4, ESI Maya22 USB - Rosegarden, Reaper

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

bluzee wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:44 pm For USB devices in the 2-4 channel range I think most if not all should work fine. [...]
I'm afraid that I do not agree. Many of the more expensive ones require a driver and/or Windows setup utility. Some of 'm may work after some puzzeling (see some of the very long topics here on 'm), but that's not for the faint of heart and Linux beginners. There are less Class Compliant devices out there than you might think.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

There's also a Focusrite Scarlett. I haven't tried one myself but I have seen posts from people who have it working, and there is a thread here at Linux Musicians about a GUI control panel for gen2/3 scarletts.

Behringer -- UMC range
Focusrite -- Scarlett range
Babarosa wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:39 am I've got a "Behringer UMC204HD" and a "MOTU M4". Both are very good concerning the specs and both work very well on Linux.
That's good news. I thought there were some problems with MOTU. What kernel are you using?
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

I'm afraid that I do not agree. Many of the more expensive ones require a driver and/or Windows setup utility. Some of 'm may work after some puzzeling (see some of the very long topics here on 'm), but that's not for the faint of heart and Linux beginners. There are less Class Compliant devices out there than you might think
Becomes more of an issue as you move up from 2 channel devices.

Issues are with devices that replace real switches with software control to save money ie Focusrite. The developer who hangs out on this forum has now actually made better support for Scarletts than you can get in Windows or Mac. Clarett 2 pre probably still have Hi Z and Air switches that won't work.

Issues are with devices that have onboard DSP. Apogee Duet 3 I can't see working.

High end devices I have not tested personally but should work fine...

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2
Universal Audio Volt

Literally every other 2 channel USB device I've looked at claims Class Compliant no drivers needed for Mac. So if you know of one that won't work then it would be handy to list it here specifically.
RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

merlyn wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:31 pm There's also a Focusrite Scarlett. I haven't tried one myself but I have seen posts from people who have it working, and there is a thread here at Linux Musicians about a GUI control panel for gen2/3 scarletts.

Behringer -- UMC range
Focusrite -- Scarlett range
Babarosa wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:39 am I've got a "Behringer UMC204HD" and a "MOTU M4". Both are very good concerning the specs and both work very well on Linux.
That's good news. I thought there were some problems with MOTU. What kernel are you using?
I have Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 (2nd gen) and Scarlett 8i6 (3rd gen). Both worked out of the box. 8i6 is a bit annoying with all those software switches, but since kernel 5.15 there's a driver and a GUI interface discussed in this very forum.

I know that Focusrite doesn't officially support Linux, but despite that their stuff is USB standard compliant and works quite well. Their interfaces are so popular because they are some of the best if not the best quality wise for the money.
habit

Post by habit »

bluzee wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:44 pm

For USB devices in the 2-4 channel range I think most if not all should work fine. Might be better to compile a list of any that don't work.

I also have a UMC404HD and I like it fine. I still have a Delta 66 PCI card but it needs external preamps.

Hello dear sir!
I am happy Fedora 39 user, and looking for audio device with decent headphones output with abitily to have 2.1. audio system. Two of them is generic audio monitors, and one subwoofer. Looks like Motu m4 does have 4 output monitors ports, can you please share info how they works? Is it possible to connect L and R monitors to 1 and 2 output and subwoofer to 3rd?
Maybe I can direct contact you for a couple of questions please?
Thank you!

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Well, the 404HD has a master out which is basically a stereo mix down L/R then it also has 4 individual outputs that can be assigned as you like. How you route the audio where you want will depend on the software you are using and the audio server be it Jack, Pipewire, etc. So, yes you can do a 2.1 mix.

VennStone
Established Member

Post by VennStone »

I maintain a list of the 20 or so audio interfaces I have tested over the years.

Most USB and FireWire interfaces JustWork™ if all you need is basic AD/DA.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Komplete Audio KA6 (old and new versions). Work out of the box. Rock solid.
Maudo M-Track8 works, but no driver for internal software routing.
Venerable M-Audio 24/96 is fine if you can get a PCI adapter.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
habit

Post by habit »

Thank you a lot for the information!
Looks like I'm still not found best variant for myself yet. I liked motu, but headphone output on a weak side. Gathering information about Audient iD14 mk2 at the moment, and looks like nowadays there is successful cases: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxaudio/com ... are_button

berlin
Established Member

Post by berlin »

krussedull wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:20 am

Hi, I assumed there was a thread like this, with an overview over what audio cards members have that works on linux.

Thank you!
An audioc cards user will enjoy the sense of a hashrate converter in this relationship as it bridges the gap between gaming and mining. It's certainly a game-changer for anyone who intends to optimize their gaming rig and have minute-by-minute data which is very important for the efficiency of the process. The stability and operaeration ease of Linux as well as a good converter can definitely increase the efficiency of mining.

For a Linux-compatible audio card, I recommend checking out the UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub/USB sound card. It’s a versatile device that also functions as a 3-port USB 3.0 hub and is supported on Linux via plug-n-play. Another good option is the TROND External USB Audio Adapter, especially if you need a single sound port1. For a comprehensive list, the ALSA project wiki and linux-sound.org are great resources to explore. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by berlin on Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
A.O.S.
Established Member

Post by A.O.S. »

Most sound cards until the semi-professional range should work. If you are unsure, use a search engine and in most cases you will get a result.

Professional sound interfaces which were intended for big studios with lots of inputs and outputs, no so much.

The biggest advantage for using Linux in music production is that you can use older hardware perfectly, which saves a lot of money.