Modern DSP audio interface for Linux?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Peng!uin
Established Member

Re: Modern DSP audio interface for Linux?

Post by Peng!uin »

Ok guys, it arrived. And thankfully, I can say that: Yes, indeed, all channel strip functions can be controlled just from the rotary encoder and display.
After a bit of fiddling I found most things on my own and the few things I didn't find I got from using the manual which is very clearly written. So far, CC mode with PulseAudio works a charm but I'll let it marinade a few weeks before I report anything overly positive.
The only downside is that the effects don't have a visualization so you need to do it like in the old days: Turn knobs and use your ears... :-)

I've basically manually restored my MOTU configuration by using the MOTU's settings as a guide and my ears for the rest.

PS: If there are any questions, go ahead and ask away.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

That's good news! The more interfaces work with Linux the better.

Relevant questions would be how it works with JACK and what the latency is like, but no rush, it is a good idea to test things over an extended period.
Peng!uin
Established Member

Post by Peng!uin »

I will most definitely test out JACK and the rest. Right now I'm trying to compare my PulseAudio setup that I had with the MOTU with a similar setup and the RME to give it a fair comparison :-)

After that has worked over the next weekend extensively, I'm probably going to switch to PipeWire directly as I've had good experiences with it.
Peng!uin
Established Member

Post by Peng!uin »

Ok guys, after hours of having fun: It Just Works(tm).

Adjusting the effects is still fiddly without a graphic representation (my ears aren't that used to effects that I blindly know what to touch and especially for compressors, a graphic visualization helps me). But that's really my only critique.
I will now try to switch to PW/JACK and report back on that.
woldo123

Post by woldo123 »

Hello Peng!uin,

does your Fireface UCX II still work without flaws under Linux?

Thanks!
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

Peng!uin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:05 pm Ok guys, after hours of having fun: It Just Works(tm).
I'm also interested in the Fireface UCX II.
However I saw this review pointing out the latency difference between class compliant mode and when running with RME drivers: https://youtu.be/-woScyWOjtE?t=551

Do you use it in class compliant mode? What is your experience when it comes to performance?
heretogo

Post by heretogo »

Has anyone been successful getting this to work as a class-compliant USB device? I would like to use my Fireface UCX II with Jack 2.

I'm trying to follow these instructions and getting nowhere.
https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Matri ... -usb-audio

I am trying on two different machines: one Debian and one Ubuntu.

The Ubuntu machine at least seems to recognize the soundcard. However, I don't see a new device in /proc/asound/cards as I expect to:
Oct 6 17:43:59 localhost kernel: [ 1254.105763] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

Any advice getting this plug-and-play functionality working would be appreciated.
heretogo

Post by heretogo »

Fixed by enabling CC mode on the hardware device. Worked immediately.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

heretogo wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:19 am Fixed by enabling CC mode on the hardware device. Worked immediately.
Thanks for reporting back on that. There's a discussion about the latency of the UCX II in class compliant mode on another thread. It would be great if you could measure the latency using jack_iodelay and settle the issue.
sciss
Established Member

Post by sciss »

Peng!uin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:05 pm

I will now try to switch to PW/JACK and report back on that.

Hey - any follow-up on this? Does the Fireface UCX II work completely on Linux (e.g. Debian stable) under Jack? All routing and controls (mic gain, phantom power etc.) operable from alsamixer and/or hardware knobs on the device? Any pitfalls?

GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

I have been waiting around for a while for someone to comment on the RME OctaMic XTC. From its literature, it would appear to function on Linux in Class Compliant mode, and although the Total Mix application wouldn't work on Linux, it appears that all functions can be accessed via the hardware. It is pretty expensive, so I understand there may be no one willing to take a chance on it, but it would be interesting to hear someone who is looking for a high end device to report on it.