Motu M4 Linux compatible?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hapibeli
Established Member

Motu M4 Linux compatible?

Post by hapibeli »

I contacted Motu, and the tech guy was helpful. He said what we all know, that Linux broke the USB compliance. I've heard, and the Motu tech said as well, that USB compliance is being worked on from Linux.
That said, I have ordered a Motu M4 from www.long-mcquade.com here in Canada.
They will allow me to bring in my Fedora 34 laptop and see if I can fireup the Motu on it.
Any ideas, thoughts, etc.?
No RANTS please. L & Mc have a lot of my coin, and it is good of them to let me test the M4.
I will try to remember to report here whether it works or not. Cheers...
BTW, though my current Behringer UMC404Hd does work with Linux, the unit isn't up to snuff, and has caused a certain measure of difficulties due to its quality, so it is being returned.
pipebomb
Established Member

Re: Motu M4 Linux compatible?

Post by pipebomb »

I have a Motu M4 and it works on Linux thought you might want to have Kernel 5.10 or above.
https://panther.kapsi.fi/posts/2020-02-02_motu_m4
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20936
hapibeli
Established Member

Post by hapibeli »

My Motu M4 works perfectly, but only because I moved to the dark side with my recording laptop, and put Win 10 Pro on it.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

hapibeli wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:51 pm BTW, though my current Behringer UMC404Hd does work with Linux, the unit isn't up to snuff, and has caused a certain measure of difficulties due to its quality, so it is being returned.
What was the problem with the Behringer?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

hapibeli wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:52 pm My Motu M4 works perfectly, but only because I moved to the dark side with my recording laptop, and put Win 10 Pro on it.
So you failed using it with Linux?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

hapibeli
Established Member

Post by hapibeli »

The Behringer worked pretty good with Linux, but then it begin having various problems, not because of Linux I think. More because it was a Behringer.
The Motu looked like it was going to have( oh brother, 4-5 months of tweaking to work with Linux) issues. I just spent a year messing with that kind of stuff and just want to record.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

hapibeli wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:51 pm I contacted Motu, and the tech guy was helpful. He said what we all know, that Linux broke the USB compliance. I've heard, and the Motu tech said as well, that USB compliance is being worked on from Linux. [...]
Could you explain what you mean exactly? Linux not being USB compliant? Do you mean that USB devices that, in theory, do not need any drivers because they are USB compliant do not work in Linux because Linux does not adhere to the (audio) USB standard good enough anymore?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 am
hapibeli wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:51 pm I contacted Motu, and the tech guy was helpful. He said what we all know, that Linux broke the USB compliance. I've heard, and the Motu tech said as well, that USB compliance is being worked on from Linux. [...]
Could you explain what you mean exactly? Linux not being USB compliant? Do you mean that USB devices that, in theory, do not need any drivers because they are USB compliant do not work in Linux because Linux does not adhere to the (audio) USB standard good enough anymore?
The problems with different USB audio adapters arose when they used the Implict Feedback feature. I don't know if it is fixed completely in recent kernels.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

bluebell wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:03 am The problems with different USB audio adapters arose when they used the Implict Feedback feature. I don't know if it is fixed completely in recent kernels.
Thank you for the info. What exactly is 'Implict Feedback' and how does it affect USB audio devices in Linux? How can I test it?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:00 pm
bluebell wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:03 am The problems with different USB audio adapters arose when they used the Implict Feedback feature. I don't know if it is fixed completely in recent kernels.
Thank you for the info. What exactly is 'Implict Feedback' and how does it affect USB audio devices in Linux? How can I test it?
It's a feature of the USB protocol and can be used – or not. If used then some audio interfaces show channel hopping and/or noise.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

bluebell wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:11 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:00 pm Thank you for the info. What exactly is 'Implict Feedback' and how does it affect USB audio devices in Linux? How can I test it?
It's a feature of the USB protocol and can be used – or not. If used then some audio interfaces show channel hopping and/or noise.
And is that the fault of Linux or of the audio interface in question?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:59 am
bluebell wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:11 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:00 pm Thank you for the info. What exactly is 'Implict Feedback' and how does it affect USB audio devices in Linux? How can I test it?
And is that the fault of Linux or of the audio interface in question?
AFAIK it's a bug in the Linux kernel that is in the progress of being fixed.

I use Drumfix' driver for my MOTU Ultralite AVB and it works perfectly.

groslaine

Post by groslaine »

I have issue with motu m4 on linux. It work find at first but i have some kind of deconnexion. It's on, but no signal out. I have to reset alsa and pulseaudio and sometime it work again. Other times I have to restart my computer to make it work again. The issue seem to be from the linux part, I'm running the last pop os (as of today)
I had to go back to my steinberg UR22MkII until the issue is fixed. (It might be a small problem but I'm good at alsa, linux command and configuration)

puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

groslaine wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:50 pm

I have issue with motu m4 on linux. It work find at first but i have some kind of deconnexion. It's on, but no signal out. I have to reset alsa and pulseaudio and sometime it work again. Other times I have to restart my computer to make it work again. The issue seem to be from the linux part, I'm running the last pop os (as of today)

It is likely a known issue. See my post here:
viewtopic.php?p=164364#p164364

zlw
Established Member

Post by zlw »

Switched to motu m4, in general it works, but you will get the the periodic bitcrush effect (about every 2s) creeping in from time to time, need to power off the unit, wait a bit and power on again and it is usually gone, restarting pipewire works as well.
Tried the quirk 0x220 but seems to be unrelated as this is still there.