Audient ID44 or best interface for Linux

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ThrasherLT

Audient ID44 or best interface for Linux

Post by ThrasherLT »

Hi, I'm in the market for a new audio interface with 2 headphone outs, 4 line outs, 4 mic preamps and ADAT for future expandability. I'm currently looking into Audient ID44 and I currently have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen. My current interface keeps glitching and I think the sound quality could be improved both on recording and playback (I'm not 100 % sure if there will be a difference yet, any recommendations are welcome).

I'm currently on Windows but thinking of moving to Linux since I like it better. I'll probably continue using Windows on a separate drive for audio work but I want my interface playback to work with Linux too so I can use it for plain audio listening.

Did anyone manage to get Audient ID44 working on Linux? My second guess would be MOTU or maybe 3rd gen Focusrite, but I want the best sound possible without going over 700 $ (RME, Universal Audio are not enough bang for buck for me).

Any other recommendations for good quality mid budget interfaces?
StuB
Established Member

Re: Audient ID44 or best interface for Linux

Post by StuB »

following - I'd like to know better if the id44 is compatable and stable with linux. Hoping someone can help :)
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

No replies so I guess no-one here is using one.
@ThrasherLT if you search the forum you will find several topics of discussion about feverish development work being done on Focusrite interfaces which should address the very problems you are experiencing.
StuB
Established Member

Post by StuB »

I had hoped for more replies, but I guess this is just such a niche thing that no-one bothers with this :(
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Unfortunately what you say it true. No audio interface manufacturer provides drivers for linux that I'm aware of. However, USB-class compliant devices will work (since that is a documented standard and implemented in alsa), and some devices have been reverse engineered and thus have alsa drivers. If the device comes with fancy mixer software what will never work in linux, so even if the device is class compliant you may not be able to use all the features. So you need to be very careful when picking an audio interface for linux.