Audient iD44

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lightnb
Established Member

Audient iD44

Post by lightnb »

I have an Audient iD44, connected to a machine running Debian 11.

I'm having issues getting clean audio out of the iD44. Whenever I play audio I get soft crackling and occasionally (every 5-6 seconds) soft clicks, like a vinyl record player.

It happens just playing flac files in a media player (VLC) with nothing else open after a fresh reboot. So it's not DAW related. Not xruns or jack related as it happens with Pulse, too.

I've tried on two different computers with both pulse and jack. Same result.

The problem doesn't occur doing the same thing with a Scarlett Solo in place of the iD44.

Any suggestions? Anyone have this device working?
Drumfix
Established Member

Re: Audient iD44

Post by Drumfix »

Most likely the device requires an implicit feedback quirk. Do you know how to compile a kernel for your distribution?
lightnb
Established Member

Post by lightnb »

Drumfix wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 pm Most likely the device requires an implicit feedback quirk. Do you know how to compile a kernel for your distribution?
I've compiled software, but not necessarily a kernel.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Seems like more people have ran into this: And looks like that there is a firmware update available that might be related to this issue:
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/ar ... Change-Log

So I'd try that first.
lightnb
Established Member

Post by lightnb »

autostatic wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:55 amSeems like more people have ran into this
Unfortunately, no resolution on those threads.

autostatic wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:55 am looks like that there is a firmware update available that might be related to this issue
According to the iD tool, the firmware is up to date. It says firmware version is 1.0.4.

There is an option for ASIO Buffer Size. It's 512 samples. I don't know if there's any reason to try changing that.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

So it's not the firmware then. Adjusting the buffer size probably won't help but you could always try. Bear in mind that decreasing it might increase CPU load which could cause crackling in its turn. Increasing the buffer size is worth a shot, it will increase the latency of your setup though (i.e. time it takes for incoming and/or outgoing signals to get processed).
jonathanjo
Established Member

Post by jonathanjo »

autostatic wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:55 am Seems like more people have ran into this:
I'm one of those people, and posted the query on askubuntu.

Sadly we've had no success with this, but I have a new computer coming and will give it another try shortly. We'll also check the firmware and see if that might possibly help.
Drumfix wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 pm Most likely the device requires an implicit feedback quirk. Do you know how to compile a kernel for your distribution?
I know how to compile kernels: could you give some details on "implicit feedback quirk"?
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

Provided the output of "lsusb -v" of the ID44 is the same as here
https://windows-hexerror.linestarve.com ... _usb_audio
i see 2 problems:

1. the ID44 is using endpoint 1 in three places.
Due to a major bug in the Linux' USB core it will disable all but the first use of this endpoint.

To solve this problem change in file

Code: Select all

drivers/usb/core/config.c
the function

config_endpoint_is_duplicate
so that it always returns false (just remove everything in this function except the "return false" statement at the end).

2. the implicit feedback, this must be solved in the alsa USB audio driver.

Where and what necessary code depends on the kernel version, because in recent 5.11 the handling has been moved out from

sound/usb/pcm.c
into a new file

sound/usb/impiicit.c
. In the later case of the implicit.c,

Below the line

IMPLICIT_FB_FIXED_DEV(0x0499, 0x172a, 0x86, 2), /* Yamaha MODX */
add a new line for the ID44 containing

IMPLICIT_FB_FIXED_DEV(0x2708, 0x0005, 0x81, 2), /* Audient ID44 */
jonathanjo
Established Member

Post by jonathanjo »

Drumfix wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:33 pm 1. the ID44 is using endpoint 1 in three places. Due to a major bug in the Linux' USB core it will disable all but the first use of this endpoint.
To solve this problem change in file
2. the implicit feedback, this must be solved in the alsa USB audio driver.
Many thanks, I'll try these. Will report back when I have any results.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Drumfix wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:33 pm Due to a major bug in the Linux' USB core it will disable all but the first use of this endpoint.
Wasn't this introduced to work around audio devices having multiple duplicate endpoints because of these audio devices having a class compliant endpoint and a closed endpoint with extra features provided by its driver? Doesn't setting config_endpoint_is_duplicate to be always false introduce the possibility that other audio devices partially or fully stop working with that particular kernel?
Drumfix wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:33 pmIn the later case of the implicit.c,
Nice, so besides quirks.c we now also have to look at implicit.c for quirks. And do you happen to have more information on implicit feedback? Thanks!
StuB
Established Member

Post by StuB »

I'm mostly following this as I'm seriously thinking of moving from mac to linux - in part as a drive to better improve my digital security and privacy (I'm working on this as part of a total overhall across the board for my digital footprint, above and beyond which operating system I use), and in part to support open source. I can do tech, but I'm not a tech head, so please bear that in mind - I just want stuff to work with minumm fuss and max security and privavcy. I'm thinking about jumping straight for PureOS, unless anyone says otherwise? I can do video editng with DaVinci and DAW work for my music with either Reaper or Bitwig, and most other stuff I'm covered by FOSS. However I have an Audient id44 as my interface, and I'm just not sure if it will work with Linux. Does the ID Mixer app work? I read issues with recording etc above and this just puts me off, and I'm conflicted now about making the leap, as making music is a huge part of my life. I'd rather not have to change my interface if I can help it, and have a Centrance Mixerface R4R for mobile recordings that could also work as an interface if needs be...

Thanks for reading this far, and looking forward to some replies that set me off on this new direction!
StuB
Established Member

Post by StuB »

OK - no one can answer my questions?