[SOLVED] RME AIO Pro

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

[SOLVED] RME AIO Pro

Post by khz »

Does anyone have experience with the new RME AIO Pro card?
Are all functions supported under Linux, as with the old AIO card viewtopic.php?p=101909#p101909?

According to the manufacturer, there have been some changes:
rme-audio.de wrote:In terms of technical features RME has completely reworked the HDSPe AIO Pro, defining the current state-of-the-art in PCI Express cards.
If anyone has such a card, ... . :wink:

<EDIT>SOLVED: viewtopic.php?p=137779#p137779</EDIT>
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
independent
Established Member

Re: RME AIO Pro

Post by independent »

Have you seen This?

When I used to use RME gear, the supported stuff worked great.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Thanks for the information, I had not read this post/information on the RME forum.
That sounds good:
rme-audio.de: HDSPe AIO PRO wrote:Done to maintain maximum compatibility with the former AIO.
\o/

<E>
independent wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:11 amWhen I used to use RME gear, the supported stuff worked great.
You got the RME AIO Pro running on Linux with all the features described in the opening posting?
</E>
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
independent
Established Member

Post by independent »

Sorry I never owned the AIO or pro but owned various older RME cards and the breakout boxes digiface, multiface I and II as well as the cardbus and PCI cards. All worked great, low latency (except 96/8 Pad would only run at specific timings well). hth
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I'll add the audio interfaces you used successfully under Linux to the list in my other post.
Also the RME forum post is very helpful. Thanks!
rme-audio.de wrote: Hey,

Just installed this HDSPe AIO Pro.
Seems to be all good so far.

Can I just check - The driver details/device manager/Total Mix etc will refer to this card as "RME HDSPe Aio"

Is this supposed to read like this or should it be "HDSPe AIO Pro"? Just want to make sure the driver is installed correctly!
On Windows 10 64bit

Thanks

##

Correct. Done to maintain maximum compatibility with the former AIO.
That gives me hope.

If someone could test the AIO-Pro under Linux and publish the result here would be great.
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

Hello friend KHZ, I hope you are well, I have also seen that this new evolution of the HDSPe AIO has come out but I have noticed what I think is a big flaw. The expansion port is missing and therefore this, unlike the AIO we have, cannot be expanded with an additional card ... Too bad!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Oi@THX This is indeed bad. I hadn't noticed that when reading through the "Connectivity and Features", I didn't assume that for a follow-up product with the name "Pro". ;-)
MauryG5
Established Member

Post by MauryG5 »

But it's also true that maybe they did it on purpose. That is to not completely replace the traditional AIO, they have made this difference in such a way as to continue to sell both and for those who want to expand the card can continue to buy the classic AIO that we have in my opinion ...
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] RME AIO Pro

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

MauryG5 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:52 pm But it's also true that maybe they did it on purpose. That is to not completely replace the traditional AIO, they have made this difference in such a way as to continue to sell both and for those who want to expand the card can continue to buy the classic AIO that we have in my opinion ...
As soon as the new model was introduced, the old model was removed from the stores, at least from the ones that I visit (only online, currently). The expansion ports for the old model still seem to be available though.
payna
Established Member

Post by payna »

Hi, first time poster, go easy :D

I've just got one of the new RME AIO Pro cards. It's not going too well.

Based on what I'd read about the Windows driver I thought it was worth a go.

The basic problem I've got is that it never shows up in /proc/asound/cards

Code: Select all

ubuntu-studio@ubuntu-studio:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
                      HDA Intel HDMI at 0xefe10000 irq 34
I've enabled the dynamic debug for the hdspm driver with

echo 'file hdspm.c +p' | sudo tee /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
and the driver looks like it's doing the right thing AFAIK.

ubuntu-studio@ubuntu-studio:~$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control | head -n 30
# filename:lineno [module]function flags format
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6852 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "create alsa devices.\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6616 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "kmalloc Mixer memory of %zd Bytes\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6611 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "use IRQ %d\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6601 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "remapped region (0x%lx) 0x%lx-0x%lx\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6592 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "grabbed memory region 0x%lx-0x%lx\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6517 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "... yes now\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6509 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "Initializing complete?\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6506 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "Update mixer controls...\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6501 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "Set defaults...\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6490 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "proc init...\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6468 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "Create card...\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6408 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_preallocate_memory =_ " Preallocated %zd Bytes\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:5606 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_hw_params =_ "Allocated sample buffer for capture at %p\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:5589 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_hw_params =_ "Allocated sample buffer for playback at %p\012"
Things I've tried.
  • all the different pcie slots
  • disabed onboard sound in the BIOS, the snd-hda-intel seems to be part of the HDMI driver, I couldn't work out how to disable it.
  • hdsploader - can't find the card
  • forcing snd-hdspm index = 0 in the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu Studio 21.04.

Anyone got any bright ideas? If I can't get it working, I'll return it and get a RayDat.

Thanks
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Does it show up in lspci?

I've got a PCI card and it shows up like this:

$ lspci|grep RME
2a:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall DSP (rev 9a)
payna
Established Member

Post by payna »

Hey, thanks for the reply,

Yes, lspci looks reasonable, apart from the lack of any kernel modules

04:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: RME Device 3fc6 (rev d4)
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 15
	Region 0: Memory at efc00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
		Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
	Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
	Capabilities: [60] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
		DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
			ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset- SlotPowerLimit 10.000W
		DevCtl:	CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq-
			RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
		DevSta:	CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
		LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s, Exit Latency L0s unlimited
			ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp-
		LnkCtl:	ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk+
			ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
		LnkSta:	Speed 2.5GT/s (ok), Width x1 (ok)
			TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
		DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range B, TimeoutDis-, NROPrPrP-, LTR-
			 10BitTagComp-, 10BitTagReq-, OBFF Not Supported, ExtFmt-, EETLPPrefix-
			 EmergencyPowerReduction Not Supported, EmergencyPowerReductionInit-
			 FRS-, TPHComp-, ExtTPHComp-
			 AtomicOpsCap: 32bit- 64bit- 128bitCAS-
		DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF Disabled
			 AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
		LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
			 Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
			 Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
		LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -3.5dB, EqualizationComplete-, EqualizationPhase1-
			 EqualizationPhase2-, EqualizationPhase3-, LinkEqualizationRequest-
I have also managed to disable the the snd-hda-intel driver by turning off CPU-AUDIO in the BIOS. Which made no difference.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Yes, going from the ground up lsmod would be the next step. Is snd-hdsp loaded?

With the card I've got I need to start hdspmixer before JACK sees it. Do you have hdspmixer installed?
payna
Established Member

Post by payna »

So,

The driver didn't load automatically on startup.
But running

alsa force-reload 
loads the hdspm driver, which from looking at the source code here seems to be the correct module for the old (non pro) AIO card. Because the windows driver wasn't updated, I was hoping that the existing Linux driver would also not require any updates.

The driver loads ok,

~ lsmod | grep snd
snd_usb_audio         270336  2
snd_usbmidi_lib        36864  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hdspm              77824  0
snd_hwdep              20480  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hdspm
snd_pcm               106496  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hdspm
snd_seq_midi           20480  0
snd_seq_midi_event     16384  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi            36864  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hdspm
snd_seq                69632  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device         16384  3 snd_seq,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi
snd_timer              36864  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    90112  13 snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_usb_audio,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_timer,snd_hdspm,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi
soundcore              16384  1 snd
mc                     53248  5 videodev,snd_usb_audio,videobuf2_v4l2,uvcvideo,videobuf2_common
and generates the debug trace that I posted above

sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6858 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "create alsa devices.\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6618 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "kmalloc Mixer memory of %zd Bytes\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6614 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "use IRQ %d\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6604 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "remapped region (0x%lx) 0x%lx-0x%lx\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6595 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create =_ "grabbed memory region 0x%lx-0x%lx\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6521 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "... yes now\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6513 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "Initializing complete?\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6510 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "Update mixer controls...\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6505 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "Set defaults...\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6494 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "proc init...\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6472 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_create_alsa_devices =_ "Create card...\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:6412 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_preallocate_memory =_ " Preallocated %zd Bytes\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:5610 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_hw_params =_ "Allocated sample buffer for capture at %p\012"
sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c:5593 [snd_hdspm]snd_hdspm_hw_params =_ "Allocated sample buffer for playback at %p\012"
This all looks very promising, hardware recognized, driver loaded, yet no cards.

~ cat /proc/asound/cards
--- no soundcards ---
I've got hdspmixer installed, but it doesn't find any RME cards, same for hdspconf and hdsploader.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Hdspconf does not work with the AIO and possibly not for the Pro, for the setting you take the alsamixer.
You can also contact the ALSA RME developer (Adrian) directly: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... b76505708b, https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... 799adb138a. That's how we got the AIO to run under Linux back then.
However, I and others have problems with MIDI (AIO). MIDI works but strangely causes many xruns.

Perhaps the RayDat alternative is more painless.

│ │    <M>   RME Hammerfall DSP MADI/RayDAT/AIO                             │ │