midi merge multiple hardware controllers via sorftware

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ayuptom

midi merge multiple hardware controllers via sorftware

Post by ayuptom »

I have a 2 main keyboard controllers (CME UF6 and UF5) and I would like to merge their midi data. I could buy a hardware box to do this like the Kenton midi merge box but I wondered if I could do it via a computer (I'm running manjaro, kde with i3wm, I have jack and alsa etc). In order to merge midi data correctly clock data from the controllers need to be stripped out (and replaced with an alternative clock or one selected controller's clock) and multiple sysex messages need to be queued whilst previous ones are sent complete. At least this is my basic understanding and there is probably more to it than that too.

My desired set up is: multiple (midi out) controllers into multiple (midi in) devices - hardware synths. I don't really want to use a computer for anything else atm just to manage the merge as per the hardware merge devices (which are typically microcontroller based). I haven't been able to find software that mentions it. Has anyone done this kind of thing using software as a merge or knows a way to do it?