Dj controller with jack and pulseaudio

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Zikmaf
Established Member

Dj controller with jack and pulseaudio

Post by Zikmaf »

Hi guys. I have a problem. My sound in the system don't working. I use QjackCtl on fedora 33 and choose my numark partymix dj controller and there is no sound. I don't know how to deal with it and will be happy if you would help.

About fanny things. When I use alsa instead jack sound API in mixxx all is working, but in the system still nothing.

Any help needed.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: Dj controller with jack and pulseaudio

Post by sunrat »

Maybe you need to install an ALSA > JACK MIDI bridge like a2jmidid and load it before plugging in your controller.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Hi @Zikmaf,

your problem is not clear to me.

Are you not getting any sound with JACK and ALSA?

Can you post a screenshot of your soundcard preferences in Mixxx?

You can also use Mixxx with Pulseaudio (not great performance, but if you don't need low latency ... ), just launch Mixxx from terminal and select "pulse" in the soundcard settings.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Zikmaf
Established Member

Post by Zikmaf »

LAM wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:11 am Hi @Zikmaf,

your problem is not clear to me.

Are you not getting any sound with JACK and ALSA?

Can you post a screenshot of your soundcard preferences in Mixxx?

You can also use Mixxx with Pulseaudio (not great performance, but if you don't need low latency ... ), just launch Mixxx from terminal and select "pulse" in the soundcard settings.
Hi

Yes I'm not getting sound with jack and alsa.

There is screenshot of mixxx preferences

I don't know how to do what you said about Mixxx with Pulseaudio and don't know purpose of that.
sunrat wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:33 pm Maybe you need to install an ALSA > JACK MIDI bridge like a2jmidid and load it before plugging in your controller.
I tried, but it doesn't help
Attachments
Mixxx preferences.png
Mixxx preferences.png (144.41 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Maybe your ALSA volume levels are down or muted. Install the alsa-utils package and check them with alsamixer, or qasmixer if you prefer a GUI mixer.
Zikmaf
Established Member

Post by Zikmaf »

sunrat wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:57 pm Maybe your ALSA volume levels are down or muted. Install the alsa-utils package and check them with alsamixer, or qasmixer if you prefer a GUI mixer.
Attachments
QasMixer.png
QasMixer.png (34.18 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Zikmaf
Established Member

Post by Zikmaf »

I have a new one fanny thing. When I connect my headphones to my computer directly and in QjackCtl I choose my partymix souncard I hear sound in the headphones. And when I test sound in my system I hear it again in my headphones, but when I connect my headphones to dj controller I hear nothing
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@Zikmaf, your Mixxx settings for ALSA look correct.

As already suggested by @sunrat you have to check your soundcard ALSA volume, but the screenshot you posted shows you are watching the device that PulseAudio create in ALSA (where there is only a Master fader, I guess) and not your soundcard.
You have to switch to the integrated soundcard in your dj controller, I don't know how to do in QASmixer, i generally use alsamixer in terminal.

Anyway, given that Mixxx take exclusive control of you soundcard when in ALSA mode it shouldn't be necessary, so for example a custom .asoundrc file could be the cause of this problem, interfering with Mixxx.

I would suggest you to join https://mixxx.discourse.group/ where there are many Mixxx devs and users where they can give you a better support.

EDIT: For the problem in JACK instead it looks like you have to specify different outputs

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Installing Qasmixer should have also installed Qashctl. Open that and press F6 to show the individual hardware controls. One of them is hw:Card, when you select that a list of other controls will show in the left column of which one should be the one you need to raise. Also make sure it's not muted.
Zikmaf
Established Member

Post by Zikmaf »

sunrat wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:20 pm Installing Qasmixer should have also installed Qashctl. Open that and press F6 to show the individual hardware controls. One of them is hw:Card, when you select that a list of other controls will show in the left column of which one should be the one you need to raise. Also make sure it's not muted.
It gives this
Attachments
QasMixer Party Mix.png
QasMixer Party Mix.png (38.43 KiB) Viewed 1246 times