Noticeable noise - Casio digital keyboard - Audacity

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Audio_4
Established Member

Noticeable noise - Casio digital keyboard - Audacity

Post by Audio_4 »

My setup as follows:
PC- Linux Mint 20.1 and Ubuntu Studio 20.04.2
Linux Mint cinnamon version 4.8.6

Audio:
Device-1: AMD Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 06:00.1 chip ID: 1002:15de
Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 06:00.6 chip ID: 1022:15e3
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.0-43-generic

Casio Digital Keyboard CTK-6200 using a y splitter to connect to the back of my PC's mobo input.

Connection: Ugreen TRS to TS cable https://www.ugreen.com/products/3-5mm-t ... 7940&_ss=r

Whenever I record using Audacity the sounds from my keyboard I can hear a low but noticeable noise like a buzz. I find it too noticeable to ignore the problem. Testing this out on Ubuntu Studio using jack I still hear the noise being produced in Audacity as well. I have my input connected to the back of the computer in the mic in and even tried using the front pannel input port with no success.
Could it be ground loop? Would that HumX product work?
Do I need one of those audio interfaces like the ones by Foscurite (Scarlet Gen3). Im still new to all this so can someone explain.

Hum X - https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Groun ... 107&sr=8-2

Foscurite Scarlet Gen 3 - https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-inte ... arlett-2i2
logicgate
Established Member

Re: Noticeable noise - Casio digital keyboard - Audacity

Post by logicgate »

If you're using USB MIDI, have you tried unplugging the USB cable? On my synth, I get noise from the USB cable if it's connected to an unpowered hub; the noise is reduced with a powered hub.

I see your keyboard can be powered by batteries. Have you tried batteries vs. a power adapter to see if that makes a difference?

Is your output cable and adapter OK? Have you tried the cable(s) with any other gear?
Logic Gate Music (retro electronic music and more...)
Audio_4
Established Member

Post by Audio_4 »

Its connected via TS to TRS split cable. My digital keyboard (hate this confusing term) is a Casio CTK-6200 which has its own sounds which I'm feeding via from Line Out to my PC's Mobo mic input. I notice that the higher i raise the input mic percentage is the more noticeable the sound gets even without playing I can hit record without hitting a note and the noise will be there.

https://www.casio-intl.com/asia/en/emi/ ... 6200/spec/ Casio CTK-6200

Attachments included

In the meantime I will use its Midi interface instead and use VST's.
Attachments
noise mic 32 percent.ogg
Audacity export ogg sound sample from input being around 32 percent under my system settings. not playing anything you can hear the white noise. With a higher mic input percentage it gets much louder.
(32.04 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon Edition
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon Edition
Input setting.png (63.89 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

You should buy/use a ground loop noise isolator.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Audio_4 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:17 pmI'm feeding via from Line Out to my PC's Mobo mic input.
Mic inputs aren't designed for line inputs. There will be mismatched impedance and levels. You need an interface with a proper line input.
It's not an earth loop, that would appear as a low hum.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

sunrat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:52 pm
Audio_4 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:17 pmI'm feeding via from Line Out to my PC's Mobo mic input.
Mic inputs aren't designed for line inputs. There will be mismatched impedance and levels. You need an interface with a proper line input.
It's not an earth loop, that would appear as a low hum.
Hehe, I thought it was a typo. Why should anyone use the mic input for line?
Audio_4
Established Member

Post by Audio_4 »

Would you recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen 3 Audio Interface? I would plan to use it with a electric guitar as well and maybe a microphone for the creation of sound effects.

Focusrite Scarlet: https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-inte ... arlett-2i2
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Any interface with a line input is suitable, but whether it works with your Linux is another matter. I believe there is some lengthy discussion of Focusrite Scarlett something on the forum.
Basically a line input is high impedance with signals up to a few volts whereas mic input is low impedance with signal measured in millivolts. You could turn your Casio output volume down to absolute minimum and set level with software which may reduce the noise but it will never be "good".