New Hardware - Need some perspective

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

grooveman
Established Member

Re: New Hardware - Need some perspective

Post by grooveman »

Thank everyone. I'm going to give it another go with the proprietary drivers when I get some time (hopefully today). I'll post back with the results.
grooveman
Established Member

Post by grooveman »

OK.

I have re-installed that Graphics card, and installed the proprietary drivers... Lo and behold, it works! I'm at a sample rate of 48000@32/3. That is 2ms latency, without any xruns, after recording about 10-15 minutes of guitar-putzing (going through guitarix and into ardour).

Thank you for the suggestion.

By the way, I didn't have to pass any nvidia-settings arguments at all to acheive this. I just installed the driver. So, it is possible they are no longer needed, Loki. Though, I suppose it is possible they might only make things better too... but I think I'd be splitting hairs. Maybe I'll play with that later.

Thanks everyone.

G
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

sysrqer wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 am I don't know if it will help your problem at all but definitely don't use Nouveau, it doesn't work very well with realtime audio processes and can lead to a whole system lockup. It is briefly and vaguely mentioned on the arch wiki - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/no ... r_messages
Yikes, I just solved this problem on my own - I used to experience this whole system lockup when using zyn-fusion, but only when interacting with its user interface. Then the other day I was on a video conference with somebody and my whole display went wacky. I thought it must be the video driver, so I tried switching from Nouveau to the proprietary driver. Now zyn-fusion doesn't freeze my system, and I tested the same video conference software with my brother without any trouble. I wish I had read this thread earlier!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Hey Michael, I'm glad you managed to identify the problem eventually. It is a nasty bug and I've lost a fair bit of work to it.