Basic USB stereo line in/out device?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fizzlepop
Established Member

Basic USB stereo line in/out device?

Post by fizzlepop »

Can someone recommend a compatible inexpensive stereo line in/out to USB device so that I can record and monitor from my hardware mixer? Balanced connections are preferred, but unbalanced is ok too since it will be a very short run from the mixer to laptop.

I tried getting along with a Zoom portable recorder, connecting a couple of mics to it. But it such a pain to use, the preamp quality is pretty bad, and I have to shuffle the SD card back and forth between the Zoom and laptop for edting and uploading anyway, so it is pretty pointless using it. My mixer has good quality preamps and headphone amp. I just need to get line signals out and back in to/from a laptop via USB.

I was thinking of trying one of those little USB audio adapters, but most of them look to have a mic input instead of a stereo line input. And I don't know which ones might have compatible chipsets. I think I just need something that is class compliant.
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Basic USB stereo line in/out device?

Post by bluebell »

fizzlepop wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:44 pm Can someone recommend a compatible inexpensive stereo line in/out to USB device so that I can record and monitor from my hardware mixer? Balanced connections are preferred, but unbalanced is ok too since it will be a very short run from the mixer to laptop.

I tried getting along with a Zoom portable recorder, connecting a couple of mics to it. But it such a pain to use, the preamp quality is pretty bad, and I have to shuffle the SD card back and forth between the Zoom and laptop for edting and uploading anyway, so it is pretty pointless using it. My mixer has good quality preamps and headphone amp. I just need to get line signals out and back in to/from a laptop via USB.

I was thinking of trying one of those little USB audio adapters, but most of them look to have a mic input instead of a stereo line input. And I don't know which ones might have compatible chipsets. I think I just need something that is class compliant.
The Behringer UCA 202 and 222 is cheap and works ok with line level input.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

The Behringer stuff looks good for this purpose. Thanks for the suggestion. I did some reading and learned that I should be able to use my old firewire interface (Profire 2626) with this laptop, so I ordered a cable for it and will try that first. I didn't think before that it would be linux compatible, but it looks like it is using ffado.
fizzlepop
Established Member

Post by fizzlepop »

The firewire cable that I needed to connect my old firewire interface to my laptop finally arrived yesterday. The interface is working with my laptop, but I'm getting light clicking at playback. The clicking frequency increases when I set the sampling rate higher. I'm not getting any other artifacts such as major dropouts or seeing any xruns. I'm wondering here if I might need a firewire express card. I should start a new thread I suppose.