Issue with M-Audio Audiophile USB

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Post Reply
zarnick
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:16 pm

Issue with M-Audio Audiophile USB

Post by zarnick »

Hello everyone, I have a (albeit very old) USB Interface from M-Audio, the Audiophile USB, and I'm having a hell of a time to make it work correctly.
What happens is that I can either use it for output, or input, but not both at the same time, and even if I use it only for input, but select on the system audio to put the default output on the internal sound card, there's still no output. This is driving me crazy.
I've tried basically all options I could find online on the modprobe (mainly from here https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... e-usb.html) and have mixed results, but never the intended result.
I'm actually running out of options here, can someone help me out?

My system is a Lenovo Y720 running Kubuntu 20.04 (wondering if migrating to Ubuntu Studio can solve the issue).

I'm also using ALSA, I've tried JACK but had some issues with Ardour with it.

Thank you for any help.

zarnick
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:16 pm

Re: Issue with M-Audio Audiophile USB

Post by zarnick »

Well, if anyone is having the same issue I had, I found how to solve this!
The thing that really solved was installing the Ubuntu Studio packages, but doing a backtrack and looking at what was wrong this was what I found:
  1. Add the user to the Real Time group (called "audio" on Ubuntu Studio). This allowed me to work with the interface on Jack, and send the interface input to Ardour and Ardour output to Jack (that in turn would send it back to the interface). So that's a big win.
  2. Add the Pulse Audio Sink on Jack. This allowed me to route the Interface audio to Firefox and use it even for as streaming.
Well, after some days at least it's working now! Hope it keeps like this.

Post Reply