Rode Podcaster

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

raboof
Established Member

Re: Rode Podcaster

Post by raboof »

kyle_1974 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:52 pm I will give it a week until I send back to Amazon so perhaps something will appear then. (Miraculously!)
I think the chance that it will miraculously start working is small, but the chance that it'll work when you update your kernel to a version with that patch is pretty big :).

If you can share what distro you're on I'm happy to help figure out whether there's a suitable version available for you (but I also understand if you'd rather switch to a more out-of-the-box solution :) ).
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

raboof wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:18 pm
kyle_1974 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:52 pm I will give it a week until I send back to Amazon so perhaps something will appear then. (Miraculously!)
I think the chance that it will miraculously start working is small, but the chance that it'll work when you update your kernel to a version with that patch is pretty big :).

If you can share what distro you're on I'm happy to help figure out whether there's a suitable version available for you (but I also understand if you'd rather switch to a more out-of-the-box solution :) ).
Oh I’m happy to try anything! Weirdly I have to use a 4.15.9-112 low latency kernel (thanks to lad’s help!) as the normal updated one was giving me JACK errors. Perhaps this rode situation will also fix this!

My current kernels are:
5.4.0-42
5.3.0-62
4.15.0-112 (low latency)
lad
Established Member

Post by lad »

raboof wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:46 pm
kyle_1974 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:24 pm Updated firmware to latest, no change.
Looking a bit closer, it looks like the kernel already has a special case for this device: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... =v5.8#n412 - but since relatively recently (June this year).

Perhaps you're still on a kernel that doesn't have this change? What kernel version are you running? On what distro?
I think Kyle uses Linux mint. Here's his original thread w/specs from a while ago viewtopic.php?f=64&t=21498
...trying out AV Linux
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

lad wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:38 pm
raboof wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:46 pm
kyle_1974 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:24 pm Updated firmware to latest, no change.
Looking a bit closer, it looks like the kernel already has a special case for this device: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... =v5.8#n412 - but since relatively recently (June this year).

Perhaps you're still on a kernel that doesn't have this change? What kernel version are you running? On what distro?
I think Kyle uses Linux mint. Here's his original thread w/specs from a while ago viewtopic.php?f=64&t=21498
Ah yes 19.3, thanks Lad, I missed that crucial bit!
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Still no joy... I'm gutted really as I would have loved using this. Amazon are going to love me!
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Sorry, I'm not so familiar with Mint so I wouldn't know how hard it'd be to get a more recent kernel on there... too bad, indeed looks like a pretty device!
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Hello!

Not sure if this changes anything but I have 5.81.1 running now...
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Okies. Slowly getting there... (although I do seem to have thrown myself into an out of space loop, I’ll fix that later unless the kernel upgrade has caused it. Had enough space before)

The Rode appears in Pulseaudio config, in and out. Jack now sees it as selectable. Gave me an error and I can’t seem to pick it up in audacity even after rescanning audio devices... edging there though?
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Ok!

Since updating to 5.8.1

Just tried Audacity! It works!

Tried Jack, it said driver was in use. Stopped audacity, tried again, ran with millions of errors again... But again closer! (Edit - the same problem we had last time lad)

Edit: After running Jack and having to force close it, Audacity is not picking up the Rode again

Further update - It seems to be working properly apart from our old friend Jack.... So so close...
lad
Established Member

Post by lad »

kyle_1974 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:28 pm Okies. Slowly getting there... (although I do seem to have thrown myself into an out of space loop, I’ll fix that later unless the kernel upgrade has caused it. Had enough space before)
This happens when the partition which holds the kernels, usually the root partition is low disk space. This happens to me,too. You can uninstall any of the unused/obsolete kernel packages to free up space.
...trying out AV Linux
lad
Established Member

Post by lad »

Please share your Jack settings again, show the parameters, not the advanced tab. The previous photo was the advanced tab.
...trying out AV Linux
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

kyle_1974 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:35 pm Since updating to 5.8.1

Just tried Audacity! It works!
That's great! If it's for podcasting, and you don't need to add any effects or other sources, then perhaps just using Audacity with ALSA directly without going through JACK might be an option as well.
kyle_1974 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:35 pm Tried Jack, it said driver was in use. Stopped audacity, tried again, ran with millions of errors again... But again closer! (Edit - the same problem we had last time lad)

Edit: After running Jack and having to force close it, Audacity is not picking up the Rode again
I didn't follow your exchange last time, but could it be you only force-closed qjackctl, and jackd is still running in the background? You can see with 'ps aux | grep jack', or I think when you re-open qjackctl it should automatically reconnect to an already-running jackd if it is there.
kyle_1974 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:35 pm Further update - It seems to be working properly apart from our old friend Jack.... So so close...
Yes, sounds very promising!
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

Morning both!

So I think these are the right pics. The only reason that I am needing Jack is to run into IDJC as that's how I do the radio show - I don't know if there is any other playout software (apart from Rivendell but I don't want to use that really). I have found some free software for the Mac and also for Windows but I would much prefer using IDJC.

Thank you for the help so far!

Image Image Image
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

kyle_1974 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:02 am The only reason that I am needing Jack is to run into IDJC as that's how I do the radio show
Ah, never used it but that looks pretty neat indeed.
kyle_1974 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:02 am So I think these are the right pics.
'CODEC' seems a bit strange but could be OK - can you show the output of 'arecord -l' to double-check?

It would also be useful to see the 'Parameters' tab under the 'Settings' tab.
kyle_1974
Established Member

Post by kyle_1974 »

raboof wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:29 am
kyle_1974 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:02 am The only reason that I am needing Jack is to run into IDJC as that's how I do the radio show
Ah, never used it but that looks pretty neat indeed.
kyle_1974 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:02 am So I think these are the right pics.
'CODEC' seems a bit strange but could be OK - can you show the output of 'arecord -l' to double-check?

It would also be useful to see the 'Parameters' tab under the 'Settings' tab.
Ah the codec is there because that's my usual non Rode mixer, I was just trying to find the parameters bit. I will plug the Rode back in now!