Fender finally make a computer editor for new Mustang amps

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Fender finally make a computer editor for new Mustang amps

Post by glowrak guy »

Previously Fender released and abandoned their 'Fuse' editing app,
then came out with a half-baked 'Tone' bluetooth app,
was OK for some, often a flop...then they closed their public forums :dog:

Now, at long last, via a firmware update, the newish Mustang Lt 25 and LT 50
usb modeling amps have a computer based version Tone, and I found
a user demo from April 2020. Closed forums don't spread much news (muttering: you idiots)

At 10:45 in the video, the demoee goes through the steps
to create a new preset, and does quite well for himself.

https://youtu.be/wu6YrFtogBo

Tone looks pretty easy to use, with nice graphics, and a handy 'swap-out' button.
The earlier minutes cover a range of presets and uses etc. The amp sounds/effects
are typical for Mustang, but without over-the-top nonsense, just 30 good examples
from which to modify/redo, and 30 more empty slots for new creations.
The LT 25 is budget pricedat $150 or less.

I'm hoping that Fender will update firmware for the earlier GT series to use the
computer Tone app. It installed and launched fine in Ubuntu Studio 20.04
with wine-staging stable 5.x but is waiting for an LT amp to be connected... :roll:
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Fender finally make a computer editor for new Mustang amps

Post by glowrak guy »

I should add that a .deb called 'Plug' support the range of Mustang V1 amps (not VII or GT)
so there are Version 1 Mustang I, II, III, IV, V, and Floor models, then came the same range, but improved,
and labeled as version II.
An app called Remuda is still developed for editing most older Mustangs on phones,
demo available, found at your local Play Store'.

...bargains can be found on 'old' Mustangs, which make a very nice and versatile
usb/line guitar input devices.
Cheers
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Answering awfully late, considering when this was written, but just because I've only now started to look for alternatives :mrgreen:

I own a POD X3 Live which is quite nice, but unfortunately literally impossible to tinker with from Linux: the existing Linux driver only deals with the audio from the pod (which I don't care about, I can get that via Line out), but not sending/receiving presets, which is the part I care about the most; as such, I'm stuck with the presets I added ages ago, and can't add others. Because of that, I was starting to look for something else I could buy, that would hopefully be as good (in terms of modeling/quality) as my X3, with user presets available to play with (I suck at creating my own), and most importantly somehow usable from Linux. My main usage for it would be as an external guitar processor that I can then plug in Ardour via a FocusRite.

I stumbled upon your suggestion of Fender Mustang modeler amps in another post, and this is how I found this more recent post of yours. Since apparently there are several Mustang models out there, which one would you suggest, taking into account what I'd like to get out of it from above? The LT25 seems indeed quite cheap, and so definitely interesting, but I'm not sure if it ticks all boxes.

Thanks!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Sorry for the late reply...I suggest installing the Fender Tone software in wine-staging stable 6.0*,
and if all controls are useable, try and borrow an LT amp for testing, or bring a laptop to a store etc.
Use Audacity, Timemachine, or linux Reaper/Mixbus/Bitwig as daws for test-recording the signal.
The LT reviews I've read are all very positive so far.

The headphone output from Fender modeling amps can be sent to a souncard line-in,
and then used with all effects and audio processing tools on your system. No guesswork,
few limits, and great variety of sounds.

*If you have a useful wine setup already, but not from the wineHQ repository, try it with Tone,
might be fine. If it doesn't work, use your package manager to fully uninstall
the existing wine, reboot, and install the stable version from wineHQ. There will likely be
a few items you'll need to reinstall, that get removed when uninstalling a distro wine.
Synaptic package manager has the option to keep downloaded packages (in /var/cache/apt/archives)
and an option to download packages without installing them, a good way to hoard and backup
important software against father time, and linux changes that don't sit well.

Wine-staging 6.3 had some regressions, which are being fixed for V 6.4, so that is another possibility,
when it's ready, especially if you may use other windows apps.
Cheers
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Thanks for the reply!

The Fender Tone application does start in Wine (I only have 6.3.1 unfortunately, maybe we'll get 6.4 in Fedora soon) but there isn't much you can do if the device is not connected. I'm afraid I don't have any way to borrow or test one, and buying one "blind" seems a bit risky: being an USB-based device, I honestly don't trust it to work with Wine, as most of the times it means installing drivers that will just not work. Searching around it looks like other people did try and weren't successful, having to use virtual machines to use it. So for the time being I guess I'll keep the money :mrgreen:

Should I manage to put my hands on one I'll make a try, thanks for the feedback!