Best Linux Compatibility for small audio interface

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

kamazeuci

Best Linux Compatibility for small audio interface

Post by kamazeuci »

Hi. I am looking to buy a small but good new audio interface
(Focusrite 2i2, 4i4, Tascam 4x4, Steinberg UR2C, something like that, no more than $250 USD, great if it has MIDI but no actual need)

I have read the Focusrite Scarlett 3d gen have good compatibility and are Class Compliant, but some people have experienced issues with them on Linux.

Can anybody recommend a single brand/model that will work (nearly) out of the box with Linux with no issues nor limitations?

thanks a lot
ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Re: Best Linux Compatibility for small audio interface

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

I'm really happy with my Native Instruments Komplete 6. It is 4x4 analog ins/outs, has MIDI, worked straight out of the.... well, I got it used with no box, but you know what I mean.

I also like the build quality; it's a nice, compact, solid hunk o' gear.
kamazeuci

Post by kamazeuci »

Looks great but googling around I found a lot of people complining about latency issues. Also, it is not a well known brand in my country, so, hard to get.
I am leaning to a Behringer UMC204HD, cheap, good reviews and seems to behave perfectly on linux.
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

Mackie Onyx Producer 2.2 - 2 combo inputs with Hi-Z switches and gain controls, 2 balanced TRS outputs, MIDI in + out, and a DAW/input blend knob for monitoring.
It's cheap and rugged, it works neatly as a class-compliant device, and Linux compatibility is specifically mentioned regarding the copy of Waveform that comes with it. The bundle of plugins isn't half bad, either.

I like it so much, I've asked whether they plan to make one with more inputs and outputs, but haven't gotten answer yet. I'm guessing that means "no."
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
t-legiaw
Established Member

Post by t-legiaw »

Maybe a Roland Rubix44? I have it running in the homeoffice together with Linux Mint20
  • Works out of the box on linux mint20
  • it has a compressor/limiter
  • 4 mic inputs
  • low noise preamps
  • no heating issues (as with other interfaces)
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

The Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD is fully compatible with Linux, no limitations, and has MIDI ports. I have the UMC1820 and am pleased with it.
gusnan

Post by gusnan »

I have just got a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD - I cannot say anything about latency or stuff like that yet, but it was a simple plug-and-play for me on Debian Stable.

Very promising.
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

I can also report good results with the Behringer UMC22, the smallest of them all; worked out of the box with no issues in Ubuntu Studio. Plug it in, type 2 parameters in qjackctl, and you're good to go...

Previously, I had less luck with Komplete Audio 6, but it's probably because the seller (Thoman) did something sneaky: I bought it as new, but the interface had clear signs of being second hand: the package was broken, the knobs made noise when you moved them, and, as it turned out later, the phantom power didn't work. That said, it was also detected out of the box and didn't give any problem software wise.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

+1 for the UMC 204
macman
Established Member

Post by macman »

I have had complete success with these:

Behringer UMC404HD
Roland Rubix44
Audient ID4 MKii (excellent latency, 2ms with 96 kHz)

The 1st gen Focusrite 18i20 works well, but not above 48 kHz

The Sound Devices Mixpre-3 works well as an interface, but only as a 2x2
Last edited by macman on Sun May 23, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Has anyone tried the Solid State Logic SSL 2+ on Linux?
Helmihenna

Post by Helmihenna »

I use MOTU ABV Ultralite, it is technically class compliant and works to a good extent, the nice thing about it is that the GUI is actually browser based and you can access all advanced features (such as built in compressor/limiter,eq,reverb, aux mixbuses etc... there are some quirks with this interface and it is not officially supported on linux by MOTU but their support at least is aware that people are using this interface on linux and are often helpful.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Helmihenna wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:56 am I use MOTU ABV Ultralite, it is technically class compliant and works to a good extent, the nice thing about it is that the GUI is actually browser based and you can access all advanced features (such as built in compressor/limiter,eq,reverb, aux mixbuses etc... there are some quirks with this interface and it is not officially supported on linux by MOTU but their support at least is aware that people are using this interface on linux and are often helpful.
Do you have the older model without ESS chips? This version works perfectly with Drumfix' driver. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&p=122814#p122814

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

macman
Established Member

Post by macman »

bluebell wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:26 pm
Helmihenna wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:56 am I use MOTU ABV Ultralite, it is technically class compliant and works to a good extent, the nice thing about it is that the GUI is actually browser based and you can access all advanced features (such as built in compressor/limiter,eq,reverb, aux mixbuses etc... there are some quirks with this interface and it is not officially supported on linux by MOTU but their support at least is aware that people are using this interface on linux and are often helpful.
Do you have the older model without ESS chips? This version works perfectly with Drumfix' driver. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&p=122814#p122814
I've got the ESS Version; it works for me, but there are caveats: (I use pipewire and pipewire-jack)

1) UAC mode: recording works flawlessly so far, but no playback at all, so hardware monitoring only
2) tried the drumfix, there is playback, but garbled - recording as well. probably user error?

my workflow: for tracking where I really need software monitoring, I use Auria and my Ipad...
It would be great if Motu could provide drumfix with some help to make a great driver; apart from these things, the interface is fantastic