Zoom R16 not recognised by Linux Mint

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

benawhile
Established Member

Zoom R16 not recognised by Linux Mint

Post by benawhile »

Hi
I am a new jamulus user and trying to hook my so far unused Zoom R16 to my system to see if it will work as an audio interface.
But it is not recognised when I plug in the usb. Also, on the box it says that 64 bit is not supported anyway.
First of all, how do I get it recognised?

Btw I see a lot of references to KX.Studio, should I get that?

Current update kernel

This is my sound hardware on the mobo:
Gigabyte mobo B450 Aorus M
1. Realtek® ALC892 codec
2. High Definition Audio
3. 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
4. Support for S/PDIF Out
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-05-16 23-03-02.png
Screenshot from 2020-05-16 23-03-02.png (146.59 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Last edited by benawhile on Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benawhile
Established Member

Re: Zoom R16 not recognised by Linux Mint

Post by benawhile »

To follow up on this, I was looking in the wrong place. I was looking for it as a drive but should have been looking in the sound software.

But there is still a problem:

I have the Zoom R16 device set to work as an Audio interface.
Although the device is seen by Pulse Audio, using a SM58 mic to get from channel 1 via USB to the levels on the Pulse software meters are very low unless the gain on the Zoom is up well into clipping.
I can at least see the device recognised in Qtjackctl or ALSA and Pulse Audio control windows. So there is some functionality.
I have so far not downloaded any extra drivers or software.

My main interest is the Jamulus program for live on line jamming. I can get an input to this via Qtjackctl, but can't monitor it, and I can't get any sound out from Jamulus, although I have got sound easily with other, analogue, hardware.
What is tantalising is that the sound out seems to be in the Zoom device somewhere, as I can see the levels flickering in the master mix channel, but I can't hear sound from the headphone or main output sockets.
There's another problem as well, with this setup, and maybe to do with Zoom, Qtjackctl keeps freezing while Jamulus is running.
Am I missing something?
benawhile
Established Member

Re: Zoom R16 not recognised by Linux Mint

Post by benawhile »

I've solved the original issue but still not able to use the unit as an Audio interface.
The Zoom is seen by Linux Mint as described in previous post so will need to post a new problem under a different title, the original title is not accurate.