Behringer UMC202HD and USB 3

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

vllur
Established Member

Behringer UMC202HD and USB 3

Post by vllur »

Hello,
I want to buy Behringer UMC202HD interface, however my laptop only have USB 3 (3.1 according to lspci) ports. I have tried to look up if someone tested if it's working, but didn't found anything.
Will it work? Or maybe there's a better option for cheap interface that will work well?
Bella
Established Member

Re: Behringer UMC202HD and USB 3

Post by Bella »

I'll check what port mine is plugged into. I'm assuming it's USB3 but will have to verify. In any case USB3 should be backwards compatible with USB2, but I'll see if I confirm on my end for posterity.
vllur
Established Member

Post by vllur »

Thanks. I'm just curious because I've read somebody had problems with Behringer and USB3, that disappeared when connected to version 2.
Bella
Established Member

Post by Bella »

I had mine in a USB2 slot after all, but I did swap some stuff around and plugged it into a USB3 port for about 45 minutes while tried different audio related things that used ALSA and/or JACK. I didn't get a chance to record anything, but outside of that I didn't run into any problems. I guess there could be an issue that isn't immediately noticeable, but for what limited stuff I was able to check it seemed fine.
Last edited by Bella on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vllur
Established Member

Post by vllur »

As I'm searching right now I think I might not get specifically this model after all, but I'm less worried now. Thanks!
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

vllur wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:03 am Thanks. I'm just curious because I've read somebody had problems with Behringer and USB3, that disappeared when connected to version 2.
On Windows 7? On linux 2.6.34? :) I don't think you will get troubles with USB3 on any modern OS. Of course there are some buggy chipsets like Intel X99, but generally USB3 should not cause issues these days.
vllur
Established Member

Post by vllur »

puleglot wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:14 pm
vllur wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:03 am Thanks. I'm just curious because I've read somebody had problems with Behringer and USB3, that disappeared when connected to version 2.
On Windows 7? On linux 2.6.34? :) I don't think you will get troubles with USB3 on any modern OS. Of course there are some buggy chipsets like Intel X99, but generally USB3 should not cause issues these days.
Better safe than sorry :)
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

I know this is a little late coming, but I have a UMC1820 hooked into the lone USB 3.0 port on my laptop, and it works fine. It actually seems to perform better on it than the 2.0 ports, likely because it is on its own hub when using the 3.0 port.