Edirol UA-25 headphones monitoring

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Edirol UA-25 headphones monitoring

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey everyone, does anyone or has anyone used an Edirol ua-25? I have one as a spare to my Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen. Well as in another topic here in the forum, it seems that the Focusrite as of late been making crackling, beacon frying, static popping sounds so I've switched to the spare Edirol.
Well I'm trying to listen through the headphones but it seems like there's no way to turn the studio monitors down with the interface master volume and no headphone volume.
Does this mean that I have to reach behind my studio monitors and turn down the volume every time I want to monitor with headphones? If yes, what were they smoking when designing this unit?
lilith
Established Member

Re: Edirol UA-25 headphones monitoring

Post by lilith »

Seems so:

13. Kopfhörerausgang
Ermöglicht den Anschluss von Kopfhörern. Dieser Anschluss gibt dasselbe Tonsignal aus wie an
den Master-Ausgängen (14). Auch mit angeschlossenem Kopfhörer wird der Ton an den MasterAusgängen ausgegeben.

That's unbelievable.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

lilith wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:10 pm Seems so:

13. Kopfhörerausgang
Ermöglicht den Anschluss von Kopfhörern. Dieser Anschluss gibt dasselbe Tonsignal aus wie an
den Master-Ausgängen (14). Auch mit angeschlossenem Kopfhörer wird der Ton an den MasterAusgängen ausgegeben.

That's unbelievable.
Yes I did read all of that in the manual. I would say that's an absolute stupid design probably designed by someone that doesn't know how people would use a so-called professional interface for a home studio or any Studio at that matter. Most mixing Engineers or any form of music engineer use multiple references while mixing or doing any kind of music work don't they?
To avoid ear fatigue a lot of people mixed with open-back headphones so this completely defeats the purpose. My headphones are semi-open back so try to mix through that and turning it up I'm still hearing the monitor speakers. Thank God I got this used for 30 Canadian dollars.
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

funkmuscle wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:11 pm Hey everyone, does anyone or has anyone used an Edirol ua-25? I have one as a spare to my Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen. Well as in another topic here in the forum, it seems that the Focusrite as of late been making crackling, beacon frying, static popping sounds so I've switched to the spare Edirol.
Crackling without xruns? This shouldn't happen with Scarlett 2nd gen devices.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

puleglot wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:11 am
funkmuscle wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:11 pm Hey everyone, does anyone or has anyone used an Edirol ua-25? I have one as a spare to my Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen. Well as in another topic here in the forum, it seems that the Focusrite as of late been making crackling, beacon frying, static popping sounds so I've switched to the spare Edirol.
Why not if it is broken?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

puleglot wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:11 am
Apparently it does. I Googled the issue without mentioning focusrite and that's what popped up.
Driver issues. Not only did I experience the pops and static, it slows down the audio and the audio makes a robotic sound.
This happens after working with it a few hours.
Many complaints online.
puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

Sorry, I thought by "another topic" you referred to Scarlett 3rd gen topic. :) 3rd gen devices has a different issue that shouldn't affect 2nd gen.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

puleglot wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:22 pm Sorry, I thought by "another topic" you referred to Scarlett 3rd gen topic. :) 3rd gen devices has a different issue that shouldn't affect 2nd gen.
Yeah this is so weird man.. This has worked great for a long time. I thought maybe it was Mixbus32C's latest version but that was find for about 4-7 days then hell broke loose!
So I am getting a static sound, very faint I might add from Ardour now.
Hmm, could be hardware as in USB cable so I will swap out. I know this is about the headphones so we're off topic but thanks for trying to help.. Edirol started to pop too so back to Scarlett in hopes of fixing issue.