Dac ? soundcard ? budget options for mixing?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bluzee
Established Member

Re: Dac ? soundcard ? budget options for mixing?

Post by bluzee »

Gps wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:24 pm
Very interested in a DAC, because I am not that impressed with the onboard sound of my Asrock 450 M pro which seems to have caps (capacitors) for people like us. (audio nerds)
I agree. Onboard AD/DA seems to always be weak. Focusrite Scarlett and Behringer UMC HDs both use Cirrus Logic and the sound is pretty decent. I have one DAC with Burr Brown and it's very nice.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

sunrat wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:01 am
Gps wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:35 pm JBL or Adam 5 speakers of around 160 euro a piece.
Get the ADAM T5V. I auditioned them against the JBL LSR305 a while back and they were vastly better. I actually ended up buying EVE SC205 and also own a pair of ADAM A5X which are both fantastic but are a little over 160 euro.
The adam T5V are a bit more expensive, 298 for two vs 232 for two jbl 305P. :)

I picked a store in my town, so I can listen to them. I could also listen to the devine, but I probably won't.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Gps wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:57 pm
sunrat wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:01 am
Gps wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:35 pm JBL or Adam 5 speakers of around 160 euro a piece.
Get the ADAM T5V. I auditioned them against the JBL LSR305 a while back and they were vastly better. I actually ended up buying EVE SC205 and also own a pair of ADAM A5X which are both fantastic but are a little over 160 euro.
The adam T5V are a bit more expensive, 298 for two vs 232 for two jbl 305P. :)
Well worth the difference IMO. The JBL sound harsher in the upper midrange so would be fatiguing during a longer mix session, whereas the ADAM are sweet for hours at a stretch.
Lucky you don't live in Australia where they cost $AU750 and $AU600.
But then we can go into a shop and listen to them, without a mask. :D
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Thank you, and about the mask bullshit:

I am one of the protesters over here against the corona measures.

It feels like I am living in a bad dream. That can't stop me from making music though.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Something I found on the openSUSE forum about pipe wire:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... l-Pipewire

Code: Select all

# zypper in pipewire-alsa pipewire-pulseaudio
This is for tumbleweed though, the rolling release.

Some parts of pipewire are already installed, this command makes it used.

I think I will for now just wait.

On topic, about the speakers, still waiting, but I might have to wear a mouthmask, if I want those speakers soon.

Or order online ...
vikingpeggy

Post by vikingpeggy »

The MS40 is like Logitech plastic computer speakers. Tinny and boxy in a cardboard way. I don't recommend. Also the Mackies in that size are very questionable.

The only real small desktop speaker that I know of, that can produce decent sound (at limited volume though) is the Vanatoo transparent zero.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I was thinking about the adam 5v or the jbl. I will go to the shop this week or next week.

I have just send them an email asking about the mouth masks, and if I have to make an appointment. :)

Adam 5 are 160 euro per speaker.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Kali Audio speakers have been getting phenomenal reviews emphasising their value for money. The LP6 starts at $149. Probably the ADAM T5V may be better but it's worth listening to a few different brands.
I never heard of "mouth mask" before and it would be useless unless it covers the nose as well, so wear a "face mask". :wink:
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Thank you, and I am gonna ignore the mask part.

That will save this forum, a long rant about PCR test not being used right and a %&^$#*@ government that now wants me to take a vaccine to get back the rights they took from me. A vaccine of which the company who makes it is not responsible if things go wrong.
To end this mini rant, the number of people dying of corona, is still not more then people dying of flue. 0.15% from the top of my head.

Without this bullshit I would already have gone to that music shop in my town, to listen to some studio monitors.
But now also in public transport I have to wear a mask not helping against corona.

Why most people accept this, is what bothers me most. Maybe I listened too much to rap music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmo3HFa2vjg
People, people! We are the same, no—
We're not the same 'cause we don't know the game
What we need is awareness, we can't get
Careless!
:mrgreen:

Don´t believe the hype ....

As you can see you hit a nerve. :wink:

Never heard of Kali, but might give them a listen too :)

That store also sells Divine, but already some people advised me to not get those. (Which are cheaper then the jbl and the adam 5)
The store claims however that with divine speakers and a divine dac, you will have a slightly better sound then with the onboard audio of your pc.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I found on their site, that I don't need to make an appointment. That's progress.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Gps wrote:To end this mini rant, the number of people dying of corona, is still not more then people dying of flue. 0.15% from the top of my head.
I don't want to start a huge argument but I can't let that go. Maybe you fell asleep in maths classes.

According to Worldometer as of now there have been 168,609,441 Coronavirus cases and 3,501,781 deaths. Divide (do you remember division?) deaths by cases and the result is ~0.021. Multiply that by 100 (my apologies, a bit complicated and a sticking point for many people) and we get 2.1%.

So you might say 0.15%, 2.1% pffft what's the difference? As a mortality rate that is a huge difference.

As a rough calculation if 80% of the world's population got Coronavirus and 2.1% died that's 0.8 * 0.021 * 8000000000 = 134 million dead folks.

Social distancing, masks and vaccines have reduced this number and I would suggest these measures are a good idea.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

merlyn wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:12 pm
Gps wrote:To end this mini rant, the number of people dying of corona, is still not more then people dying of flue. 0.15% from the top of my head.
I don't want to start a huge argument but I can't let that go. Maybe you fell asleep in maths classes.

According to Worldometer as of now there have been 168,609,441 Coronavirus cases and 3,501,781 deaths. Divide (do you remember division?) deaths by cases and the result is ~0.021. Multiply that by 100 (my apologies, a bit complicated and a sticking point for many people) and we get 2.1%.

So you might say 0.15%, 2.1% pffft what's the difference? As a mortality rate that is a huge difference.

As a rough calculation if 80% of the world's population got Coronavirus and 2.1% died that's 0.8 * 0.021 * 8000000000 = 134 million dead folks.

Social distancing, masks and vaccines have reduced this number and I would suggest these measures are a good idea.
You are ignoring, the studies that show that those facemask don't help against viruses(corona)
What is wrong with how they use the pcr test. It was never meant to be used like this.

They had to change the definition of a pandemic, so they could call corona a pandemic.

The numbers I see, say that in 2019 during a flue pandemic? the same number of people died.

We did not go in lockdows, did not have to take a vaccine, and did not have to wear a mask.
The IC of hospitals had problems in 2019 already. At least in my country because they keep spending less and less money on healthcare.

Some simple facts the main stream media tries to keep from you.

And about maths:
There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I already have two letters here, for a vaccine, because I seem to belong to a higher risk group.

My suggestion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoOWem06jhY

Lets agree to disagree. :)
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Gps wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:04 pm Lets agree to disagree. :)
Yes please, let's stop it right there. Linux Musicians is not the right place to discuss conspiracy theories and misinformation.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

sunrat wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 pm
Linux Musicians is not the right place to discuss conspiracy theories and misinformation.
There is that word again, conspiracy. :(

I get the feeling you should make more music and watch less mainstream media. :)
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Gps wrote: The numbers I see, say that in 2019 during a flue pandemic? the same number of people died.

No, absolutely not. Watch nutty Youtube videos if you want but I would appreciate it if you avoid spreading the misinformation presented in them.