Dac ? soundcard ? budget options for mixing?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Dac ? soundcard ? budget options for mixing?

Post by Michael Willis »

Gps wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:27 pm make more music
Yes, let's talk about that.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

merlyn wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:28 am
Gps wrote: The numbers I see, say that in 2019 during a flue pandemic? the same number of people died.

No, absolutely not. Watch nutty Youtube videos if you want but I would appreciate it if you avoid spreading the misinformation presented in them.
You do not know my sources, yet you judge me. Its almost funny, but I am ending this discussion right here.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Gps wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:23 pm I am ending this discussion right here.
That seems like a good idea ;)
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

To all members - please keep the discussions in the area on topic. You are more than welcome to disagree on any given topic in the backstage area of the board. Thanks! -Matt

-Matt :D

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I did not want to start a new topic and I have one more question.

Should I go for a no driver USB DAC? Or are there DAC's that do support Linux?

This question came to me, while reading another topic on this board, were Behringer was mentioned, as a no driver DAC.
I also read something about DAC's, were if they are USB class compliant, they will work on Linux.

While typing this, I realized I can email the store, and I am gonna try that too.
Lets see what they say if I mention Linux.

Once bought a midi controller there, and when I asked if I could return it, when it would not work on Linux, there answer was basically:
You can always return stuff when your not happy with it, they don't care about why somebody wants to return something.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Buying from a place that has a no questions asked return policy is always best. Too many devices to know exactly if everything works.

As far as DACs that directly support linux with a custom driver to install, I am not aware of any for USB. Support for linux from manufacturers is generally loaning a device to a developer for testing and driver development. Many won't even do that. PCI devices need driver development. There are a few companies that release their own linux drivers for PCI devices.

USB devices are supported as class compliant. Manufacturers sometimes add to this. In this case sometimes there are additions in linux to support these as in the case of some Focusrite devices for example. Others may work with basic functions only as no one has worked out the extras on the device. Thus the need for a good return policy. Old devices that previously worked fine might get updated to something not fully supported.

Buying a class compliant device that just works is definitely the nicest option. There are lots of choices from economy to high end.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Thank you.

I am 99% sure this is gonna be the one:

https://www.bax-shop.nl/externe-audio-i ... -interface

Then 2 speakers, 155 euro a piece, so 310 euro for two.

https://www.bax-shop.nl/studio-monitors ... r-per-stuk

With cables I think I can keep it below 500 euro.

Those speakers are active so they don't need a amp, but I hope to get a better sound then the onboard chip on my motherboard.

I will probably go to that store and listen to those speakers.
randomgrace

Post by randomgrace »

Gps wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:25 pm I did not want to start a new topic and I have one more question.

Should I go for a no driver USB DAC? Or are there DAC's that do support Linux?

This question came to me, while reading another topic on this board, were Behringer was mentioned, as a no driver DAC.
I also read something about DAC's, were if they are USB class compliant, they will work on Linux.

While typing this, I realized I can email the store, and I am gonna try that too.
Lets see what they say if I mention Linux.

Once bought a midi controller there, and when I asked if I could return it, when it would not work on Linux, there answer was basically:
You can always return stuff when your not happy with it, they don't care about why somebody wants to return something.
Well, I looked through some topics about midi controllers on Linux, you could use them but some of them require scripts oyu need to write... I did it with my controller for example. And you know, you need to have a midi controller anyway, because sometimes it's easier to create the melody with your own hands than just clicking with mouse.
Last edited by randomgrace on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

I have a Behringer UMC404 and it's just plug in and go on Linux. The Behringer UMCs sound OK and are much cheaper than similar specced Focusrite models.

Any MIDI controller will work with it, if you get one that can send MIDI CC you can assign the required MIDI CCs to the control knobs or sliders on the keyboard then map those to virtual instruments in your host of choice. Ardour, Carla, Reaper or whatever.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Thank you that sounds interesting.

I use LMMS, Carla and a Maudio keystation mini 32.

LMMS might not be the best daw, plugin wise, but for now I am the limiting factor, not LMMS. :)
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Let me know if you need some tips, for example I have a Yamaha AN1X and one can program the rotary pots on it to send the required MIDI CC. You can do the same with many of these MIDI controller keyboards. Just connect it to a MIDI monitor program (Sherlock or Drumstick or whatever) and you can then read what MIDI events are being generated by the keyboard.

Once you are certain about what events are being generated by the keyboard you can then assign controllers in Carla or Reaper or whatever and control softsynths that way.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio