Dac ? soundcard ? budget options for mixing?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Dac ? soundcard ? budget options for mixing?

Post by Gps »

I have of course searched the net, but that did not help much.

Some seem to think you need a dac, for making music.

This is were my confusion starts, is the sound on my pc not created by a sound chip ?
I don't get how adding an amplifier will improve that sound.

Am I maybe not understanding right what a dac is ?

I would think, to get better sound, you would need a soundcard, with a better sound then the onboard sound chip.

About mixing, it drives me nuts I sometimes get conflicting feedback about my tracks.
One person says the drums are to loud, another one states there are not loud enough.

I think I need studio monitors to solve that, but worried I can't afford good ones, and getting cheap ones probably won't do me any good?

Are there relative cheap headphones / headsets that are good for mixing?

Right now I have a Sennheiser gsp 300 gaming headset. I am a big fan of Sennheiser, but can probably not afford their studio gear.
I am happy with the gsp 300, but wonder if a gaming headset is good for mixing?

Any thoughts suggestions on this ? :)

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Dac ? soundcard ? budget options for mixing?

Post by bluebell »

A DAC is a Digital-to-Analog converter. It converts sigital signals (e.g. a TOSLInk or SPDIF output) to analog audio that can be fed into an amplifier.

An audio adapter is a DAC that can speak with aour computer, e.g. via USB or PCI. Most PCs have an audio adapter built in.

The quality of produced WAV, FLAC or mp3 files does not depend on the quality of the audio adapter and DAC because they are not used in this step.

Most cheap audio adapters have a good enough quality when playing music. The advantages of external high quality audio adapters are to be found when recording with microphones, since they have better preamps and 48V phantom power that's needed for some microphones.

I recommend mixing with speakers. A mix that sounds good with speakers sounds good on my headphones as well, but not vice versa.

If you spend more than 500 bucks on active speakers then you should invest some money for acoustic treatment of your room, else you might get disappointed.
Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – https://soundcloud.com/suedwestlicht

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

After some thinking, and googling on what active speakers are, its simple.

Need to get some budget, then go to the shop (I linked) and listen to the speakers.

Found out one of their shops is in my city, Amsterdam.

Don't know the shop well. I once ordered a keystation mini 32 there, and asked if I could return it, if it did not work on Linux.
Their answer was simple, you can always return stuff when you're not happy with it.

It's a shop for people like us. although I doubt they will know much about Linux.

I have looked at their site before, I saw all kinds of brands I have never heard off.
They have Sennheiser too though. ( head phones,microphones and more )