.wav playback distortion with Delta 1010 but not built-in card

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ChuckLutz
Established Member

.wav playback distortion with Delta 1010 but not built-in card

Post by ChuckLutz »

Hi folks,

I am trying to diagnose a strange distortion problem with my Delta 1010. I am a new user and have been trying to get it to work for a while.

I downloaded a basic .wav file of someone solo clapping (https://bigsoundbank.com/detail-1767-applause-3.htm).

If I use Ubuntu Studio Controls and select my built-in sound card - "PCH,0.0 playback and capture (ALC269VB Analog)" then start jack, and do "aplay Downloads/1767.wav" at the command line, it plays back OK (I have a set of basic computer speakers plugged into the built-in soundcard output).

If I switch "Jack Master Device (no USB):" to instead use my Delta 1010 - "M1010,0,0 playback and capture (ICE1712 multi)", stop/start jack, and reissue the aplay command, the playback seems to come at the right "tempo" but is horribly distorted (I have output channels 1 and 2 of the Delta 1010 breakout box going out to my mixer and to my amps). I have "mudita24" open on the "Monitor PCMs" tab. I can see the sound levels jumping (I have "PCM Out 1" and "PCM Out 2" both turned up to about -6 on the fader and made sure that "Mute" is not selected).

I'm trying to figure out how to about diagnosing why this might be the case.

I am not fiddling with any of the other controls on the "Ubuntu Studio Controls" panel.

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.
Chuck Lutz

ChuckLutz
Established Member

Re: .wav playback distortion with Delta 1010 but not built-in card

Post by ChuckLutz »

Hi again folks,

I did a few basic experiments in Carla in which I just loaded up Yoshimi, selected a basic bass sound, and played some notes on the virtual keyboard. First I did this with the Delta 1010 and the sound was again very distorted. I shut down Carla, then shut of Jack via the Ubuntu Studio Controls. I switched to the built-in sound card, started Jack again, and started up Carla. This time the same basic bass patch came through on the little computer speakers just fine.

Regards,
Chuck