Scarlett 18i20 gen 3 Linux - Crackling Audio

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tmsmr
Established Member

Re: Scarlett 18i20 gen 3 Linux - Crackling Audio

Post by tmsmr »

Some quirks for other interfaces broke the patch around 5.8. I updated it for 5.8.5:
ezemtsov

Post by ezemtsov »

@tmsmr That solved jack2 for me, thanks for the update.
After some testing there're no issues noticed, would be happy to have it in the upstream.
tmsmr
Established Member

Post by tmsmr »

@ezemtsov I don't hink the updated patch fixed it. I simply reapplied the changes from @puleglot. There were some other changes in ALSA, probably it's working now because of them...
I would be happy to have the changes merged in upstream as well, but @puleglot mentioned open issues with that change. I don't have the experience with that whole Audio topic to do whatever has to be done to get it accepted.
skobkin
Established Member

Post by skobkin »

As far as I understood for the changes to be merged they shouldn't break duplex on ALSA like they're doing it now. To be able to achieve that some usb_audio changes are needed too.
So currently this patch is a workaround and not a fix because it breaks "normal" workflow on ALSA/PulseAudio.
lapsio
Established Member

Post by lapsio »

I just bought Steinberg UR22C (because UR12 worked just fine) but it seems C series ALSO has implicit feedback and crackles just like Scarlett...

I have really bad luck with interfaces choice...
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

There is a change coming to Scarlett 18i20 driver which will allow to load the state of internal mixer!

But to test the compatibility with other devices, I need help from people who have their other gen3 devices and some time to compile kernel module or take the USB protocol dump from Windows.
This is important since I really need these dumps.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
lapsio
Established Member

Post by lapsio »

Is there any info regarding implicit feedback support on upstream Linux? Because it seems to slightly get out of hand. Motu, Scarlett, now Steinberg... Soon Behringer will make the only audio interfaces that actually work on Linux and that's probably only because they use last decade tech... I wasn't aware that so many interfaces suffer from this issue on Linux and that probably like half of soundcards released after 2019 don't work properly and crackle.
tmsmr
Established Member

Post by tmsmr »

Hey @lapsio , seems like there is a fix for the UR22C in 5.8.8 (https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel ... eLog-5.8.8, https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/9/8/1304). Are you on an older kernel? Could you check if there are problems with >= 5.8.8? My Scarlett Gen 3i3 just broke (Weird USB-errors and then it vanished completely). Now i'm considering getting a UR22C...
@sadko4u As soon as i get the replacement for my broken 4i4, i'll test your changes...
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

tmsmr wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:50 pm@sadko4u As soon as i get the replacement for my broken 4i4, i'll test your changes...
It would be nice to check since I'm currently working on 18i20 gen3 interface and can not check other models.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
DneieSVb
Established Member

Post by DneieSVb »

tmsmr wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:03 am Some quirks for other interfaces broke the patch around 5.8. I updated it for 5.8.5:
0001-ALSA-usb-audio-Add-implicit-feedback-quirk-for-Scarl.patch.txt
For me the patch works in Jack2 without problems. Also I can successfully use the standalone version of Pianoteq with alsa directly for incredible low latencies and no crackling at all (only thing cracking is my neck...). I just now tested with pulse directly, teamspeak can playback and record audio, also no crackling.

Thanks a lot for the patch :D
fraslo
Established Member

Post by fraslo »

Hi,

sorry for spamming, too. I have the pretty exact same problem with my Yamaha MODX Keyboard (10out/4in/44100) which has a class compliant interface built in. Will this patch fix my problem, too?
tmsmr
Established Member

Post by tmsmr »

sadko4u wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:48 pm
tmsmr wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:50 pm@sadko4u As soon as i get the replacement for my broken 4i4, i'll test your changes...
It would be nice to check since I'm currently working on 18i20 gen3 interface and can not check other models.
@sadko4u They sent me a brand new 4i4 back, unfortunately they didn't tell me what broke... Is there anything specific what you want me to test?
tmsmr
Established Member

Post by tmsmr »

fraslo wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm Hi,

sorry for spamming, too. I have the pretty exact same problem with my Yamaha MODX Keyboard (10out/4in/44100) which has a class compliant interface built in. Will this patch fix my problem, too?
@fraslo Just using the patch as it is won't work i guess. You could try to add the quirk for the device ID and see if it works :D.
fraslo
Established Member

Post by fraslo »

tmsmr wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:57 pm @fraslo Just using the patch as it is won't work i guess. You could try to add the quirk for the device ID and see if it works :D.
Thanks for your answer, Geoffrey created a working patch for the MODX: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22198
lapsio
Established Member

Post by lapsio »

tmsmr wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:50 pm Hey @lapsio , seems like there is a fix for the UR22C in 5.8.8 (https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel ... eLog-5.8.8, https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/9/8/1304). Are you on an older kernel? Could you check if there are problems with >= 5.8.8? My Scarlett Gen 3i3 just broke (Weird USB-errors and then it vanished completely). Now i'm considering getting a UR22C...
@sadko4u As soon as i get the replacement for my broken 4i4, i'll test your changes...
Thanks for heads up. Yeah I'm on 5.6.something. I'm unfortunately limited to stock LTS kernels because some of proprietary software I'm using only works on LTS kernels. But I didn't return UR22C. I'll just wait for 5.10 LTS kernel then. Shouldn't be that far ahead.

Anyways - does anyone here know ANY 16x16 or above interface (using ADAT) that IS NOT Behringer UMC1820 and works on Linux without this implicit feedback bug? Currently I'm using UMC1820 as master and 18i20 as ADAT slave (so I don't need to patch kernel) but I just realised UMC1820 is crap and its headphone amps don't keep balance correctly so I'm looking for something that can provide more decent quality and still work on Linux without manual kernel patching...