Motu M2 USB Interface on Linux

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pipebomb
Established Member

pipebomb

Post by pipebomb »

puleglot wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:26 pm
knillenhower wrote:i also tried

Code: Select all

avoid-resampling = yes
but that led to regular crashes of the device (LCD meter froze and no sound at all).
The device reinitializes every time the sample rate is changed. This results in a 2-5 seconds lag. So it is better to set some fixed rate (default-sample-rate = alternate-sample-rate) and disable avoid-resampling.

knillenhower wrote: so now the device almost runs perfectly, the only thing left is minor cracking on sound output when moving the volume slider on some applications (happens only on some files, really strange). but this is a minor issue for me.
This device needs implicit feedback which is currently not automatically detected by alsa.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... aaa94339dc
Thank you SO much for this! I've been struggling with my Audient iD4 for nearly a month unable to find a solution to my problem, and your random post just helped me.

Story: Whenever my system starts, there are around 10 very fast pops/clicks in a matter of half a second in the device. Every time a new audio stream(?) calls to Audient, I hear a single click/pop in it. I kinda suspected this happened when iD4 rearranged something if the source was in 44100 or 48000 hz but did not know why and how to fix it.

To make things worse, when one playback was in progress (i.e. listening to Spotify), and I launched some other audio sequence like Discord, the sound randomly became all messed up - everything is hugely distorted, pitch is all way up. It was only fixed by restarting the device a few times and killing pulseaudio.

I thought my device was faulty but this only happens on Linux (multiple distros) and not on Mac or Windows. But changing default-sample-rate = alternate-sample-rate) and disable avoid-resampling fixed the problem. I no longer hear clicks on new audio sources, sound doesn't get messed up when I pile up Spotify Youtube Discord, the only thing that's left is a couple of clicks on system start.

Thank you!
pipebomb
Established Member

Re: Motu M2 USB Interface on Linux

Post by pipebomb »

So I got a MOTU M4 and I cannot set it as a duplex playback device in Pulse.
I read that it needs the latest kernel version for full support so I upgraded from 5.8 to version 5.11.6-051106-generic but it's still only shown as "multichannel input" in the Input tab and not shown at all in the Output tab. I can select it in Audacious as ALSA device for playback, and it works perfectly on my Mac too. I just want it to work as a playback and input device simultaneously, for all apps, like it does on Mac.
Audient worked perfectly in this regard.

edit:
I did a pulseaudio --kill and restarted the MOTU, and new options appeared for it in Pulse devices listed as "Analog Surround 4.0 Output + Multichannel input" and "Analog Surround 4.0 Output". The former worked, no idea what changed.
Anyway I'm glad the MOTU M4 works great.
knillenhower
Established Member

Post by knillenhower »

since around 3 weeks i use the M2 with the latest kernel 5.11 that has the new MOTU M-series patches. and it works very well! manually putting "default-sample-rate = 48000" into /etc/pulse/daemon.conf is not necessary anymore. however i mostly used playback, input rarely. another strange bug that i never reported is also fixed: for some windows steam games running on linux using the steam wine version "proton" the audio did not work. but this is also fixed now.

so everything looks really nice. however i still had two crashes of the device. that happened while watching a video stream in VLC and in parallel starting youtube in firefox. turning the MOTU off an on again fixed that (closing of applications not necessary) . i haven't looked into this issue in more detail as it happened very rarely.
sunjar

Post by sunjar »

Hi,I just got my M4 sound interface and it has been installed on my ubuntu 20.04 lts system, at first ubuntu didn't recognize it, after I upgraded the kernel version to 5.16 everything worked fine. The question I want to ask is, is it necessary to install a low latency version of the kernel? I tried to install it but couldn't succeed, it prompted me that some dependent libraries were missing, and I encountered more problems when installing these dependent libraries, so I wonder if the low-latency version has a greater advantage and necessity? If so I will spend more time or even reinstall the system to fix this.
fedexnman
Established Member

Post by fedexnman »

Thinking about getting an Motu M2 or M4 ? So how are you guys getting in with yours ?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

sunjar wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:00 am Hi,I just got my M4 sound interface and it has been installed on my ubuntu 20.04 lts system, at first ubuntu didn't recognize it, after I upgraded the kernel version to 5.16 everything worked fine. The question I want to ask is, is it necessary to install a low latency version of the kernel? I tried to install it but couldn't succeed, it prompted me that some dependent libraries were missing, and I encountered more problems when installing these dependent libraries, so I wonder if the low-latency version has a greater advantage and necessity? If so I will spend more time or even reinstall the system to fix this.
I recommend a lowlatency kernel.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

I've been using the Liquorix kernel for a while now and am happy with it.

Kernels shouldn't have dependencies. Not sure what is up with Ubuntu LL kernel.
AnotherStateOfMatter

Post by AnotherStateOfMatter »

Does anyone else here experience the problem that the Motu M2 needs a power cycle after booting and especially rebooting?

Code: Select all

alsactl info
recognizes the device correctly but without a power cycle I can't use the device with Pipewire or directly with ALSA.
As soon as I switch it off and on again it works as expected.
dekine
Established Member

Post by dekine »

I just want to share a fix that works for me. First the problem: I have a Motu M2 first version (firmware 1.02) and I couldn't get the device to work, unless I turn it on as soon as possible, before the linux desktop loads. And even then it would work when I first open the device with jack, but if I quit and try to use it from other apps it fails again.

On https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=211975 someone proposes changing a line in the kernel (replacing msleep(2000) with msleep(4000)), I tried that and it works for me! I can turn on the device at any time, use it from jack then pulseaudio/pipewire, it works.

puleglot
Established Member

Post by puleglot »

AnotherStateOfMatter wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:54 pm

Does anyone else here experience the problem that the Motu M2 needs a power cycle after booting and especially rebooting?

Different hardware revisions have different issues. I believe that all remaining problems with MOTU M Series cards should be fixes in the near future: