How to switch from "Jack Sink (PulseAudio Jack Sink)" to regular PulseAudio

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

b.horn99
Established Member

How to switch from "Jack Sink (PulseAudio Jack Sink)" to regular PulseAudio

Post by b.horn99 »

Hi y'all,
I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) and managed to make it work in harmony with cadence.
But I’m still running into a big problem:
when my Solo interface is connected everything works great but when I disconnect it from my laptop to go somewhere without it, hoping PulseAudio Jack Sink would switch to regular PulseAudio like it was setup before, NO SOUND!
In the sound settings I only have "Jack Sink (PulseAudio Jack Sink)".
How could I have the option to click on regular PulseAudio like before installing Cadence?
Thanks guys
bluebell
Established Member

Re: How to switch from "Jack Sink (PulseAudio Jack Sink)" to regular PulseAudio

Post by bluebell »

b.horn99 wrote:Hi y'all,
I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) and managed to make it work in harmony with cadence.
But I’m still running into a big problem:
when my Solo interface is connected everything works great but when I disconnect it from my laptop to go somewhere without it, hoping PulseAudio Jack Sink would switch to regular PulseAudio like it was setup before, NO SOUND!
In the sound settings I only have "Jack Sink (PulseAudio Jack Sink)".
How could I have the option to click on regular PulseAudio like before installing Cadence?
Thanks guys
One way to handle it is running jack always - either with the Scarlett or with the builtin audio card. Then Pulseaudio can always output to jack, and that's what I want.

You can do that manually: starting jack with graphical tools like Qjackctl

I start jackd with a script when logging in to my esktop environment (xfce4).There is a list in $IFACES and the last interface that is found will be used for jack:

Code: Select all

IFACES="PCH 2i2 2i4 AVB"
for I in $IFACES
do
  F=`aplay -l | grep $I | cut -d : -f 1 | cut -d " " -f 2`
  if [ -n "$F" ]
  then
    HW="$F"
    M="$I"
  fi
done

PRIO=80
FREQ=48000
BUFFERS=3
PERIODS=256
/usr/bin/jackd -P${PRIO} -p512 -t2000 -dalsa \
  -r$FREQ -p$PERIODS -n$BUFFERS -Xseq -dhw:$HW -zs \
  >/tmp/jackd-${USER}.log 2>&1 &

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

b.horn99
Established Member

Post by b.horn99 »

One way to handle it is running jack always - either with the Scarlett or with the builtin audio card. Then Pulseaudio can always output to jack, and that's what I want.

You can do that manually: starting jack with graphical tools like Qjackctl

I start jackd with a script when logging in to my esktop environment (xfce4).There is a list in $IFACES and the last interface that is found will be used for jack:
Thanks bluebell,
- so you're not using KXStudio Cadence right?
- I did try Qjackctl before I installed Cadence but couldn't figure it out...
- I don't know anything about scripts. The script you give in your post would work for the Focusrite Scarlett Solo?
- Also to start the script automaticaly should I follow this:
/etc/profile.d/*.sh

Files with the .sh extension in the /etc/profile.d directory get executed whenever a bash login shell is entered (e.g. when logging in from the console or over ssh), as well as by the DisplayManager when the desktop session loads.
I appreciate your help
Mint Cinnamon
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

b.horn99 wrote:
- so you're not using KXStudio Cadence right?
- I did try Qjackctl before I installed Cadence but couldn't figure it out...
- I don't know anything about scripts. The script you give in your post would work for the Focusrite Scarlett Solo?
- Also to start the script automaticaly should I follow this:
/etc/profile.d/*.sh

Files with the .sh extension in the /etc/profile.d directory get executed whenever a bash login shell is entered (e.g. when logging in from the console or over ssh), as well as by the DisplayManager when the desktop session loads.
I am no expert with Cadence. I think it has an ALSA and Pulseaudio bridge to jack as well. Just keep on running jack. That might already solve your problem.

Scripts that have to be run in your graphical desktop envoronment don't belong in /etc/profile.d/ since they are started when you start a (nongraphical) login shell. That's the "wrong" event. Most desktop environments offer a setting where you can name programs that have to be started automatically after the graphical login. An alternative is /etc/X11/Xsession.d.

But I think figuring out (and maybe asking here) how you can use Cadence to choose which interface to use is the best approach for you.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

b.horn99
Established Member

Post by b.horn99 »

Alright, will do in a new topic.
Thanks for the response bluebell, I appreciate it.
Mint Cinnamon