[solved] ADAT Questions

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

retnev
Established Member

[solved] ADAT Questions

Post by retnev »

Questions
1) Can I daisy chain more than two interfaces with ADAT ?
Strangely cannot get an answer searching online
USB nextenders and such just dont work, and since I dont have an AVB system yet, I need to use the next best namely ADAT.

I want to use one usb/ADAT device (say dev1) close to my computers which are a distance away, and then run an ADAT optic cable to the two recording interfaces also connected with ADAT (say Dev2 & Dev3).

2) Is this at all possible ?

3) If possible, I am wondering what the constraints will be on Dev1 ?
If Dev2&Dev3 for argument sake each has 16 inputs and 16 outputs, what should I be looking for as a candidate for DEV1 spec wise.
I am not sure if DEV1 should then be some 36x36 device ? and I am hoping that DEV1 could just be a ADAT to USB converter ... which sadly doesnt really exist, and people use recording interfaces for that which is completely superfluous, but works.

Let me know your thoughts on a solution. If I cannot solve this I will just have to buy a Motu with AVB.
Last edited by retnev on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drumfix
Established Member

Re: ADAT Questions

Post by Drumfix »

You can use a device with USB and 2 ADAT I/Os as dev1 + 2x Behringer ADA8200 as dev2/dev3
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

What you describe is a surefire way, I agree ... It WILL work, but it is a parallel system which I try to avoid due to cost.
What you describe is

USB==>Dev1a===ADAT===>Dev2a
PC
USB==>Dev1b===ADAT===>Dev2b

No way to use only one usb/ADAT device as DEV1 as below?

PC==USB==>Dev1===ADAT===>Dev2===ADAT===>Dev3

Reason is it keeps expenses very low as I dont need two Dev1 (it saves about $600)
Once I have parallel systems, it is most likely more cost effective to buy a complete AVB system which will solve all mentioned problems.

As I understand Dev2 must have SUM of amount of physical inputs/Outputs (defined IO for this thread) of Dev2 & Dev3,
Then Dev1 must have SUM of IO of Dev2 &Dev3 and whatever physical IO Dev1 has.

In my situation DEV2 has 8 Physical inputs and outputs +Spdif, making it 10 physical inputs and outputs.
It reserves a further 8 inputs and 8 outputs for another ADAT interface (DEV3) .
This is then all sent via ADAT to DEV1 whioch is 18/18 and can accept therefore all the 18/18 IO form DEV2 (containing DEV3)

An example for DEV1 would be something like Motu Ultralite https://motu.com/products/avb/ultralite-avb
which has optical IO but I am not sure if the optical IO is compatible with ADAT.

Another question. Anyone know of a USB/ADAT converter that can handle 18/18 IO or higher.
It obviously does not need to have any physical IO itself except from U
SB and AVB connectors.
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

I know what you want but a simple PC => USB => DEV => ADAT1 => ADAT2 is not possible.

You could use a MOTU LP32 + 3 ADA8200 to do what you want

I could do the same with my 16A, which has its own analog I/Os and 2 ADAT I/Os for 2 Behringers.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

Thank you very much, I think you just solved my problem.
I looked at Motu extensively for months and never noticed the LP32.
Up to 4 parallel optical is enormous @ 48 inputs
It does AVB too and does not have the unnecessary physical IO.

Your suggestion now give me one dev1 as required, and adding dev2,3,4,5 in parallel has the same cost and effect as my serial requirement.

I will have to work out if LP32 + 2(or4) separate interfaces will be cost effective against a B16.
B16 will do all I need, but they are a bit prohibitive costwise.

Another question: The ADA8200: Is it fully USB compliant ?
Do you have any problem accessing it through alsa/ardour on Linux ?

Thank you very much for your kind help. very much appreciated.
Last edited by retnev on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

Drumfix wrote:I know what you want but a simple PC => USB => DEV => ADAT1 => ADAT2 is not possible.
Ok you are right, I looked aqt the ADAT specification and it is clear 8 channels max. So I cannot e.g. use an interface larger than 8 channels without throwing away all channels higher than 8.
Lightpipe can carry eight channels of uncompressed digital audio at 24 bit resolution at 48,000 samples or four channels at 96,000 samples per second.
jonathanjo
Established Member

Post by jonathanjo »

retnev wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:23 pmI looked at the ADAT specification ...
Hi Retnev -- I'm looking to read the ADAT spec, can you tell me where to find it? Thanks. Jonathan.
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Re: [solved] ADAT Questions

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

Apologies if I completely missed your spec sheet details as described above.

If you have PCIe or ExpressCard space available there are used firewire interfaces with ADAT available for cheap, around here as low as 10euro for small Profire 410 or PreSonus FireStudio.

If you mostly need line inputs that could perhaps be a significant cost saver. Interfaces with both ADAT i/o and 8 mic pres are still around 100+e used. But some of them can be used in stand-alone mode as well (with software mixer routing) which makes me wonder what use a Behringer ADA (or similar) is when not being used as mic pre?