USB-Midi keyboard UMK49 Jack problems.

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

vector
Established Member

USB-Midi keyboard UMK49 Jack problems.

Post by vector »

Hi all,
Having trouble using the midi keyboard in USB cable mode.
Jack does see it but trying to connect it to say yoshimi does not work.
Hitting Jacks connect does nothing.
I have tried Alsa and Jack gmididmonitors. but I see nothing and cant connect the two.

Musescore3n note input(which is what I want it for) does not see the keyboard in Jack I/O mode.
but set to Alsa Audio i can input notes.

Muse without Jack running, detected at first but was not able to play resources but unplugging/replugging keyboard brought up an ok status and I was able to rec note input. But with Jack running nothing.

I can get connection. eg under qlcplus (without jack running) QLC detects and recognises key input.
Note as shown below tho that with jack running there is no input box in QLC to tick.

(and yes connecting the physical midi output from keyboard to my midi to usb interface does work.)

What am I missing?
Attachments
usb-qlcplus.png
usb-qlcplus.png (44.04 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
USBmidiUMK49.png
USBmidiUMK49.png (27.01 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
What would I know I'm just the bass player
merlyn
Established Member

Re: USB-Midi keyboard UMK49 Jack problems.

Post by merlyn »

There' are three kinds of MIDI on Linux. (Great :D )

ALSA MIDI
JACK MIDI
ALSA2JACK MIDI

ALSA MIDI is used when JACK isn't running. ALSA2JACK is for old applications that aren't JACKified.

To see if your device is recognised type this into a terminal :

Code: Select all

amidi -l
If you want to use JACK you can see JACK MIDI with jack_midi_dump . This will create a client called 'midi-monitor'. Connect your keyboard to it using QjackCtl and the MIDI messages will show up in the terminal window.
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

hmm seems there is gremlins in the midi drivers,
now I cant get the old usb-midi cable interface(ch345) to work on input either im sure I could send midi form DX100 via usb-midi cable to the gmonitor via jack b4

amidi -l
Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:2,0,0  CH345 MIDI 1
QLC+ again sees responds to input but dump does not.
I even reset the PC. and did not connect the UMK49 at all.

I did notice these errors tho

jack_midi_dump
[b]Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel[/b]
jackdmp 1.9.12
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2017 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:PCH|hw:PCH|256|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 256 frames (5.8 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
scan: added port hw:2,0,0 in-hw-2-0-0-CH345-MIDI-1
scan: added port hw:2,0,0 out-hw-2-0-0-CH345-MIDI-1
scan: opened port hw:2,0,0 in-hw-2-0-0-CH345-MIDI-1
scan: opened port hw:2,0,0 out-hw-2-0-0-CH345-MIDI-1
so confused.

nah something screwing with me.. FCBmidi controller (plugs direct into usb-midi interface cable) is also not working now.
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

turn everything off and back on again... FCB controller is now working with e345 interface.

jack_midi_dump is as before but if I open jack connections window and connect midi_capture_1 to monitor it now sees my DX100 keyboard via the 345interface.

plugin UMK and midi_capture 2 pops up I can connect that to midi monitor and YES I can now see UMK note info.

But as the noyoshimi attachment shows I can see but it wont connect either the 345 or midikeyboard to yoshimi input
I highlight hit the connect button, I get a ALSA connection change in the messages but no connection line.
I even tried qsynth
I started virtual keyboard
clicked connect, it worked straight away
Attachments
noYoshimi.png
noYoshimi.png (46.17 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
UMkjackdump.png
UMkjackdump.png (74.15 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
midi capture.png
midi capture.png (19.21 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

vector wrote:[...] Hitting Jacks connect does nothing.
Of all the software that you use I only know Jack. I see that you use Qjackctl. Good! Under the tab "Alsa" (which is secret speak for "Alsa MIDI") drag the output of your Midi keyboard to your Jack and Midi aware synth (e.g. Yoshimi) input. Or select the input and the output and then click on the button in the left-hand corner labelled "Connect".

Then under the tab "Audio" connect the proper output (e.g. Yoshimi) to your "System" (i.e. output speakers). Then play the keyboard.

P.S. On my computer Yoshimi does not show up under the "Alsa" tab of Qjackctl but under "Midi" (which is secret speak for "Jack Midi").
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

i did manage this setting qsynth to jack and using the midi_capture again.
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

Or select the input and the output and then click on the button in the left-hand corner labelled "Connect".
Yeah this is my problem its this bit that is not working.
I verified keyboard is sending midi info, I verified qsynth or yoshi or whatever can make sounds.
but for some reason when I use Alsa it just wont allow the connection.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Under the tab "Alsa" (which is secret speak for "Alsa MIDI")
Just to be clear : the ALSA tab shows ALSA2JACK. If JACK is running ALSA MIDI needs to be bridged to JACK. If JACK isn't running you can use plain ALSA.

@vector : Wnat you've described suggests that you need to select JACK somewhere in Yoshimi preferences.
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

It looks like you're using the raw MIDI Driver setting in QJackCtl, since there is a system MIDI client in your MIDI tab and it won't allow you to make ALSA MIDI connections.
It looks like the raw MIDI driver takes control of ALSA devices exclusively so no other program can make connections. In this case, you have to run Yoshimi in JACK mode to connect to JACK MIDI.

You can change the MIDI Driver setting in QJackCtl Settings, under the Settings / Parameters tabs, in the right-hand side.
"None" means no bridge runs, and you have to manually run a bridge like a2jmidi to bridge between JACK and ALSA.
"raw" bridges ALSA MIDI to JACK (the "system" client in the MIDI tab), but doesn't allow connections in the ALSA tab.
"seq" looks like it does what raw does, but still allows you to make ALSA connections.

So, to summarize, either run Yoshimi in JACK MIDI mode so you can connect to it on the JACK MIDI tab, or change the MIDI Driver setting so you can make connections on the ALSA tab.
vector
Established Member

Post by vector »

noedig wrote:It looks like you're using the raw MIDI Driver setting in QJackCtl, since there is a system MIDI client in your MIDI tab and it won't allow you to make ALSA MIDI connections.
It looks like the raw MIDI driver takes control of ALSA devices exclusively so no other program can make connections. In this case, you have to run Yoshimi in JACK mode to connect to JACK MIDI.

You can change the MIDI Driver setting in QJackCtl Settings, under the Settings / Parameters tabs, in the right-hand side.
"None" means no bridge runs, and you have to manually run a bridge like a2jmidi to bridge between JACK and ALSA.
"raw" bridges ALSA MIDI to JACK (the "system" client in the MIDI tab), but doesn't allow connections in the ALSA tab.
"seq" looks like it does what raw does, but still allows you to make ALSA connections.

So, to summarize, either run Yoshimi in JACK MIDI mode so you can connect to it on the JACK MIDI tab, or change the MIDI Driver setting so you can make connections on the ALSA tab.
thanks.
"seq" change in jackqtrl setup did allow me to connect thru to yoshi. I then tried qsynth which also worked (strangely qsynth hijacked the audio from yoshi when I tried driving them both from the keyboard.)
Anyway. I then went back to Muse and everything was dead, no audio no midi.
jack/audio tab I dropped Muse onto system playback it worked but the connection lines didnt appear. Hitting refresh fixed that.
I now had wav audio and then got the umk49 input to the midi track working.

So I think I have this patched correctly now and just remind myself that sometimes it dosent show up, it (like me) can get confused and requires stopping and starting everything.

I still have a few strange things going on. Dx100 keyboard via midi to usb interface cable driving Muse input tends to miss note off events. That could be the cheap ebay usb-midi interface, tho I dont recall having issues b4.
and the UMK49 midi direct to the old MU80 tone module occasionally gives illegal data errors(but only when powered from the PC via its usb connector...weird.)

many thanks