Anyone using an Audient iD interface?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

totheatom
Established Member

Anyone using an Audient iD interface?

Post by totheatom »

I purchased a Audient iD14 to be my primary interface for my PC running Xubuntu 19.04. It works well enough. However, I tried plugging an external analog mixer into the inputs on the back and then plugging a hardware synth into the mixer. No sound is being output. I can verify that the mixer is being fed a signal, but nothing to the speakers from the interface. Then, I tried unplugging the mixer and plugging the synth in directly to the back of the interface instead. Still nothing. I know that I cannot run Audient's software mixer in Linux, but is there truly no way to adjust the levels of the two rear line inputs on the device itself? I even went to the trouble of installing a Windows 10 VM in Virtual Box and downloading their software there. The software is installed and running in the VM, but I am unable to get it to recognize the device properly nor open the mixer. Very frustrating. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Otherwise, this thing probably has to go back.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Anyone using an Audient iD interface?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Its website says that you do not need a driver (Windows) and that "you can plug your guitar, bass, keyboard or drum machine straight in and start recording instantly". You should have no problems...

Are you trying to use a stereo output jack into a balanced input? That might dampen the sound, it did for me.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

There are a few variables here.

Are you expecting the input to be copied to the output? That's called hardware monitoring and it might not do that.

You may only hear the input at the output after it has gone through the computer. To test this load up a DAW and monitor the input.
totheatom
Established Member

Post by totheatom »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not using the front D.I. input at at all. The back has two inputs and two outputs. I'm sending the two outputs to my studio monitors and use the interface as my sound card with my computer without issue. However, literally all I want to do is plug in the XLR outs from my mixer to those two rear inputs and hear whatever sound is being sent out in my mixer in my monitors (just as if I plugged them directly into the mixer outs). This seems as though it should be an incredibly simple thing to do.
totheatom
Established Member

Post by totheatom »

In rereading your reply, yes, it sounds like hardware monitoring is exactly what I'm looking for. Are you familiar with any interfaces that can provide this function for us lowly Linux users? Or, is there any way to integrate the Audient with a Linux software mixer to replicate the same function? Really appreciate your insight.
totheatom
Established Member

Post by totheatom »

Sorry for the multitude of replies. Thinking it through further, wondering if it wouldn't be most effective to simply route the Audient into the mixer and then have the mixer output directly to the monitors. Not crazy about introducing the mixer into the audio signal path at all times, but it seems like it might be the way to go given the circumstances?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

It is simple. You only have to connect the input to the output inside the computer.

I use JACK so I would load Catia and connect out 1 & 2 to in 1 & 2.
SimpleMonitor.png
SimpleMonitor.png (17.72 KiB) Viewed 5432 times
fedexnman
Established Member

Post by fedexnman »

Which Audient ID there's the 4 14 22 and 44 do all of them work ? I'm in the market for a new interface ?
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

ID 4 is fully class compliant, the others so so
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

stanlea wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:40 pm ID 4 is fully class compliant, the others so so
I'm interested in the ID4 or ID14 . What doesn't work when choosing the ID14? The ID14 has two inputs on the back which is in advantage.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

Unless someone writes a mixer application for Linux that can adjust the iD14's internal routing settings like the Windows and Mac software, you are probably out of luck adjusting those to anything other than their defaults. A VM won't work. I wouldn't hold your breath that it will ever happen, but there was some similar work done for the Focusrite Scarlett devices, so it isn't completely out of the question. This was one of the main reasons I went with a UMC1820 for my interface despite it not being as high of quality device. Nothing about it is controlled by proprietary software. All of its functions and adjustments are accessible by hardware knobs and buttons, making it somewhat future-proof.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

GuntherT wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:22 pm Unless someone writes a mixer application for Linux that can adjust the device's internal routing settings like the Windows and Mac software, you are probably out of luck to adjust those to anything other than their defaults, which is probably where your problem lies. A VM won't work. I wouldn't hold your breath that it will ever happen, but there was some similar work done for the Focusrite Scarlett devices, so it isn't completely out of the question.
Thanks. So I will see the 2 input channels on the back and the one on the front in e.g. Jack? Maybe I get the ID4 then, it has one more headphone output.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

The id4 doesn't need any software interface, because all parameters can be set with the hardware itself. And you can have a microphone input and a DI input.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Edit: Damn it. Just realised when this thread was posted. I'll leave my reply anyway..
totheatom wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm Thanks for the replies. I'm not using the front D.I. input at at all. The back has two inputs and two outputs. I'm sending the two outputs to my studio monitors and use the interface as my sound card with my computer without issue. However, literally all I want to do is plug in the XLR outs from my mixer to those two rear inputs and hear whatever sound is being sent out in my mixer in my monitors (just as if I plugged them directly into the mixer outs). This seems as though it should be an incredibly simple thing to do.
I have an iD4. If I wanted to monitor the inputs as you do, I would turn the dial that says "Input" on left & "DAW" on the right, all the way to the left for "Input". That's exactly what I do when I'm recording guitar and need to hear it with lower latency. Or sometimes, I'll mix it with the output ("DAW") signal so I get a bit of both. But yeh, turn that dial to the left!