Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and 18i8 2nd Gen mixer driver

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

geoffrey
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and 18i8 2nd Gen mixer driver

Post by geoffrey »

fudini wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:07 am @geoffrey Yes, it said "Mixer Driver disabled" indeed.

I used 5.12.5s3 kernel, added an entry to scarlett.conf and everything seems to be working - I have sound and bars in the mixer.
Great, thank you very much! There will be more releases soon, no more functionality for Gen 2 probably, but will need testing to make sure nothing breaks along the way for anyone. So if you are able to help with more testing over the next few weeks, please stay tuned :)
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Hi @fudini and anyone else with a 6i6, 18i8, or 18i20 Gen 2, would you mind testing the kernel at https://github.com/geoffreybennett/scar ... v5.12.5st1 please? Instructions on what to look for when testing are at the link. Positive feedback will help us get the mixer/mux restore at init time patches into the Linux stable kernels.

Thanks,
Geoffrey.
fudini
Established Member

Post by fudini »

Sure, I'll try later today. Until then I have one observation.

In Sound Output settings I can choose between a few options eg. 5.0, 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, but no matter which one I select I only have 2 extra controls: Balance(left/right) and Subwoofer. It looks like it's missing Fade(front/back) for surround outputs, but I swear I saw them once before.
geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Hi Fudini,
fudini wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:31 am Sure, I'll try later today.
Thanks!
fudini wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:31 am Until then I have one observation.

In Sound Output settings I can choose between a few options eg. 5.0, 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, but no matter which one I select I only have 2 extra controls: Balance(left/right) and Subwoofer. It looks like it's missing Fade(front/back) for surround outputs, but I swear I saw them once before.
Sorry, I have no idea about this. Those controls sound like PulseAudio controls which are at a higher level compared to the ones exposed by the mixer driver. Perhaps someone else in this thread can help, but if not I'd suggest starting a new thread with your question.

Regards,
Geoffrey.
fudini
Established Member

Post by fudini »

geoffrey wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:12 pm Hi @fudini and anyone else with a 6i6, 18i8, or 18i20 Gen 2, would you mind testing the kernel at https://github.com/geoffreybennett/scar ... v5.12.5st1 please? Instructions on what to look for when testing are at the link. Positive feedback will help us get the mixer/mux restore at init time patches into the Linux stable kernels.

Thanks,
Geoffrey.
I tested it with success on my 6i6 just now.
Musicmaker
Established Member

Post by Musicmaker »

Would be glad to test the updated driver.

I have an 18i20 gen 1 and 2. the gen 2 has ran at 4.33msec latency (Ubuntu 20.10 low latency kernel 5.8.0-53 with jackctl) without any XRUNS for months. I compiled the usb audio driver module only (not the whole kernel since that takes hours and keeps failing, even in an VM and there is no solution AFAIK). However to replace the audio module I bump into "device is in use".

I still have one minor issue. The 18i20 gen 2 always works fine but the mixer controls are only available when power up the interface before booting the OS, this does not happen with the Gen 1.

Downloaded the repo but compilation failed. Took the scrallet_gen2 file and the quirck files and copied into my kernel tree it went fine except this line neededd to be removed

// if (usb_pipe_type_check(dev, pipe))
// return -EINVAL;
see also https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg201030.html
Next, how to replace the driver ?
pa3fun

RPI4 & focusrite

Post by pa3fun »

Hi all.

Sorry if I came to the wrong place or if I'm asking a stupid question.
I'm running Raspbian on an RPI4. From what I understand Raspbian is based on kernel 5.4.
Is there any way (& what is the procedure?) to install Geoffrey's focusrite drivers in the Raspbian kernel?
B.t.w. I'm running both Jackd, Jacktrip & Sonobus on this RPI4-platform.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.
Regards, Christiaan PA3FUN
Musicmaker
Established Member

Post by Musicmaker »

Would love to help with the kernel. You need to download the kernel sources of your running Linux distro, add the patches , build them then replace the kernel files on that running system.

Tried to build the low latency kernel for Ubuntu 21.04 and 20.10 by following Ubuntus' instructions but it always failed. After a few weeks gave up. Support by Ubuntu resulted in"why do want to build a kernel while it's already available". Have build kernels for embedded systems, but the Ubuntu kernel is a drag.

Did build the Ubuntu kernel audio drivers but could not get them installed. Somehow can't unload the kernel drivers to replace it. Perhpas the only way to on a system running a kernel build w/o audio drivers and then install the drviers. Ran out of ideas. Actually wanted to buy a Clarett to build the kernel mixer support but the Ubuntu kernel build process is a showstopper.

But still happy running the 18i20 gen 3 and 2 with Octopres w/o Xruns on a DYI board form 2012 Intel Q67 chip with Ubuntu 21.04, Jack with 64 F/B and 3 P/B, 48Khz, Realtime, 4msec latency flawless for years. Still need to power on the Gen 2 18i20 before the PC boot to get the ALSA mixer working + only USB3 interface works with the Gen 2.